Canon i960: What Setting Do You Use?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
April 7, 2004 4:26:27 PM

Hi

A little while ago, I replaced my S900 with the I960 (it's a long story). I
have printed on PhotoPaperPro and Office Depot. For PPP I ended up printing
in the manual mode with everything turned off and in the PS box I selected
"Same as Source." I just tried an old S900 profile with the Office Depot
paper, and the results were terrible. They were much better when I selected
glossy, manual, photo, normal.

But I see four i960 profiles in the PS dialog box. Should I be using these?

Just wondering what setting others have found to be most successful with
this printer? I hate going through a lot of paper by experimenting when
others have probably already worked everything out.

Jasper

More about : canon i960 setting

Anonymous
April 7, 2004 5:20:50 PM

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:26:27 -0400, "Jasper" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote:

>Hi
>
>A little while ago, I replaced my S900 with the I960 (it's a long story). I
>have printed on PhotoPaperPro and Office Depot. For PPP I ended up printing
>in the manual mode with everything turned off and in the PS box I selected
>"Same as Source." I just tried an old S900 profile with the Office Depot
>paper, and the results were terrible. They were much better when I selected
>glossy, manual, photo, normal.
>
>But I see four i960 profiles in the PS dialog box. Should I be using these?
>
>Just wondering what setting others have found to be most successful with
>this printer? I hate going through a lot of paper by experimenting when
>others have probably already worked everything out.
>
>Jasper

I use the Epson Glossy Photo Paper from Costco (I'm cheap). I started with the
Glossy Photo Paper setting on my i960, but got a reddish tint to the pictures. I
switched settings to the Photo Paper Pro, and now the color seems to be right
on.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Anonymous
April 8, 2004 4:34:13 AM

The Photo Paper Pro setting works best for most glossy papers, particularly
the Epson papers. I always use the highest quality setting as anything
lower tends to cause blotching and variegated color blocks on glossy paper.
If you are using a photoprogram like Photoshop that has color management the
most reliable results will be obtained using ICM or Apple Color Sync.
However to my eyes the 960 requires that the intensity setting be ratched up
a couple of notches to get adequate color density (as opposed to saturation)
in most prints on glossy paper. The 960 has a tendency to overly yellow
coloration, particularly noticeable if your image has large blocks of
lighter pastel colors and has real difficulty with sky blue colors,
especially deep colored sky: it does not accurately reproduce a classic
polarized dark blue sky while other colors in the print may be reasonably
produced (I am looking at several failed efforts right now).
April 14, 2004 5:22:35 PM

Thanks for your reply. I just got back to it now.

I do print from Photoshop. So in the initial dialog box, you would select
"Same as Source". Then in printer setup, you use "manual > enable ICM"?
Under print type/brightness do you use "none" or "photo/normal"? You also
increase "intensity" and you decrease the "yellow"? By what values?

Thanks, Jasper

!