Setting up printer sharing

I know this is probably a dumb question, but here goes.

I have a desktop computer which communicates with a 2-Wire router using a
Link-Sys SMP54G wireless adapter. My computer is running a Windows XP
operating system. My computer has a printer attached.

My wife has a desktop computer which communicates with the same 2-Wire
router using a Link-Sys WUSB11 wireless adapter. My wife's computer has no
printer attached.

I would like to network these two computers so that my wife is able to print
using the printer which is attached to my computer. Is this possible to do?
2 answers Last reply
More about setting printer sharing

    I have some additional information. My wife's computer is running a Windows
    ME operating system. Also, my Link-Sys wireless adapter is a model number
    WMP54G.

    "M. Michael Meyer" wrote:

    > I know this is probably a dumb question, but here goes.
    >
    > I have a desktop computer which communicates with a 2-Wire router using a
    > Link-Sys SMP54G wireless adapter. My computer is running a Windows XP
    > operating system. My computer has a printer attached.
    >
    > My wife has a desktop computer which communicates with the same 2-Wire
    > router using a Link-Sys WUSB11 wireless adapter. My wife's computer has no
    > printer attached.
    >
    > I would like to network these two computers so that my wife is able to print
    > using the printer which is attached to my computer. Is this possible to do?

    Run the networking wizard in both machines. Click 'my network places' and
    choose 'set up home or small business network'. If you're connected to
    cable or dsl through a router do NOT tell it you want to "share a
    connection", use the 'connect through a network' option. When it asks if
    you want to share files and printers, choose 'yes'. Make sure they both use
    the same workgroup name (mshome is the default for both XP and ME, you can
    just leave that if you want). Don't bother making the network setup disk.

    Same thing in ME, but it may be called the home networking wizard (in my
    network places). When these are both done and rebooted, in ME click
    start..settings...printers, choose 'add printer', choose 'network printer',
    and browse to the other machine and select the shared printer. You may need
    the printer CD, depends. If it can't install the printer, run the setup
    disk for the printer, and tell it that it's a network printer. If that
    option isn't there, install the printer anyway, and go back to
    start..settings...printers, right click the printer, choose 'properties',
    details tab, for 'port' choose the other computer and printer (will look
    like \\computername\printername).

    If WinME has the drivers for the printer, it may find it on its own and
    install it, so you won't have to go through the above. Give it a little
    time after setting up the network and you may find it's already installed.

    Gary

    "M. Michael Meyer" <mm0102(remove this)@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I have some additional information. My wife's computer is running a Windows
    > ME operating system. Also, my Link-Sys wireless adapter is a model number
    > WMP54G.
    >
    > "M. Michael Meyer" wrote:
    >
    >> I know this is probably a dumb question, but here goes.
    >>
    >> I have a desktop computer which communicates with a 2-Wire router using a
    >> Link-Sys SMP54G wireless adapter. My computer is running a Windows XP
    >> operating system. My computer has a printer attached.
    >>
    >> My wife has a desktop computer which communicates with the same 2-Wire
    >> router using a Link-Sys WUSB11 wireless adapter. My wife's computer has
    >> no
    >> printer attached.
    >>
    >> I would like to network these two computers so that my wife is able to
    >> print
    >> using the printer which is attached to my computer. Is this possible to
    >> do?

Computers Wireless Adapter Printers Wireless Networking