Setting up printer sharing

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 24, 2004 8:27:18 PM

I know this is probably a dumb question, but here goes.

I have a desktop computer which communicates with a 2-Wire router using a
Link-Sys SMP54G wireless adapter. My computer is running a Windows XP
operating system. My computer has a printer attached.

My wife has a desktop computer which communicates with the same 2-Wire
router using a Link-Sys WUSB11 wireless adapter. My wife's computer has no
printer attached.

I would like to network these two computers so that my wife is able to print
using the printer which is attached to my computer. Is this possible to do?
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 9:05:04 PM

I have some additional information. My wife's computer is running a Windows
ME operating system. Also, my Link-Sys wireless adapter is a model number
WMP54G.

"M. Michael Meyer" wrote:

> I know this is probably a dumb question, but here goes.
>
> I have a desktop computer which communicates with a 2-Wire router using a
> Link-Sys SMP54G wireless adapter. My computer is running a Windows XP
> operating system. My computer has a printer attached.
>
> My wife has a desktop computer which communicates with the same 2-Wire
> router using a Link-Sys WUSB11 wireless adapter. My wife's computer has no
> printer attached.
>
> I would like to network these two computers so that my wife is able to print
> using the printer which is attached to my computer. Is this possible to do?
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 10:19:14 PM

Run the networking wizard in both machines. Click 'my network places' and
choose 'set up home or small business network'. If you're connected to
cable or dsl through a router do NOT tell it you want to "share a
connection", use the 'connect through a network' option. When it asks if
you want to share files and printers, choose 'yes'. Make sure they both use
the same workgroup name (mshome is the default for both XP and ME, you can
just leave that if you want). Don't bother making the network setup disk.

Same thing in ME, but it may be called the home networking wizard (in my
network places). When these are both done and rebooted, in ME click
start..settings...printers, choose 'add printer', choose 'network printer',
and browse to the other machine and select the shared printer. You may need
the printer CD, depends. If it can't install the printer, run the setup
disk for the printer, and tell it that it's a network printer. If that
option isn't there, install the printer anyway, and go back to
start..settings...printers, right click the printer, choose 'properties',
details tab, for 'port' choose the other computer and printer (will look
like \\computername\printername).

If WinME has the drivers for the printer, it may find it on its own and
install it, so you won't have to go through the above. Give it a little
time after setting up the network and you may find it's already installed.

Gary

!