A mind of its own

I get to fix all the PC in my family but this one really
stumps me. My daughter's new clone (I built) worked fine
for two days when I first had it going. But she took it
home and loaded wireless mouse and APC software and now
it just up and restarts whenever it decides to do it. No
messages, nada. Any ideas?
5 answers Last reply
More about mind

    /TominFL/ said:

    > I get to fix all the PC in my family but this one really
    > stumps me. My daughter's new clone (I built) worked fine
    > for two days when I first had it going. But she took it
    > home and loaded wireless mouse and APC software and now
    > it just up and restarts whenever it decides to do it. No
    > messages, nada. Any ideas?

    Open Control Panel|SYSTEM|ADVANCED tab|START UP & RECOVERY|SETTINGS and
    UNcheck the "automatically restart" item. Then at least at error message
    may give a clue to what's causing the problem.

    --
    For most XP answers and tweaks...
    http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

    "TominFL" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I get to fix all the PC in my family but this one really
    > stumps me. My daughter's new clone (I built) worked fine
    > for two days when I first had it going. But she took it
    > home and loaded wireless mouse and APC software and now
    > it just up and restarts whenever it decides to do it. No
    > messages, nada. Any ideas?

    Could you please elaborate what you mean with this
    sentence: "Now it just up and restarts whenever it decides
    to do it"? Just up what? Decides to to what? The more
    precise your problem description is, the more likely it is
    that someone can help you.

    being done, ie... doing internet search on yahoo,
    drafting a document on Word, reading e-mail on outlook.
    Also, the wireless mouse occasionally stops working and a
    regular mouse has to be used.

    /anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com/ said:

    >>"TominFL" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message >>news:1d68701c423a7$7fee22c0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    >>
    >>>I get to fix all the PC in my family but this one really
    >>>stumps me. My daughter's new clone (I built) worked fine
    >>>for two days when I first had it going. But she took it
    >>>home and loaded wireless mouse and APC software and now
    >>>it just up and restarts whenever it decides to do it.
    >
    > No messages, nada. Any ideas?
    >>
    >>Could you please elaborate what you mean with this
    >>sentence: "Now it just up and restarts whenever it
    >>decides to do it"? Just up what? Decides to to what?
    >>The more precise your problem description is, the
    >> more likely it is that someone can help you.
    >>
    > The computer restarts while any number of tasks are
    > being done, ie... doing internet search on yahoo,
    > drafting a document on Word, reading e-mail on outlook.
    > Also, the wireless mouse occasionally stops working and a
    > regular mouse has to be used.

    To spot the error message open Control Panel|SYSTEM|ADVANCED tab|START UP
    & RECOVERY|SETTINGS. Disable "automatically restart"...

    Track down the error at the MS Knowledge Base, via the link below, of
    perhaps here... http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    --

> [...]

    Run msconfig.exe and use it to disable all non-essential
    task until you find the one that causes your machine to
    misbehave. In particular, uninstall the wireless mouse and
    use an ordinary mouse fow a while. "Uninstall" means
    "unistall its driver", not just unplug the receiver!

Windows XP