A mind of its own

April 16, 2004 8:39:38 AM

I get to fix all the PC in my family but this one really
stumps me. My daughter's new clone (I built) worked fine
for two days when I first had it going. But she took it
home and loaded wireless mouse and APC software and now
it just up and restarts whenever it decides to do it. No
messages, nada. Any ideas?

More about : mind

April 16, 2004 11:00:09 AM

/TominFL/ said:

> I get to fix all the PC in my family but this one really
> stumps me. My daughter's new clone (I built) worked fine
> for two days when I first had it going. But she took it
> home and loaded wireless mouse and APC software and now
> it just up and restarts whenever it decides to do it. No
> messages, nada. Any ideas?

Open Control Panel|SYSTEM|ADVANCED tab|START UP & RECOVERY|SETTINGS and
UNcheck the "automatically restart" item. Then at least at error message
may give a clue to what's causing the problem.

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

"TominFL" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I get to fix all the PC in my family but this one really
> stumps me. My daughter's new clone (I built) worked fine
> for two days when I first had it going. But she took it
> home and loaded wireless mouse and APC software and now
> it just up and restarts whenever it decides to do it. No
> messages, nada. Any ideas?

Could you please elaborate what you mean with this
sentence: "Now it just up and restarts whenever it decides
to do it"? Just up what? Decides to to what? The more
precise your problem description is, the more likely it is
that someone can help you.
April 18, 2004 5:20:14 PM

being done, ie... doing internet search on yahoo,
drafting a document on Word, reading e-mail on outlook.
Also, the wireless mouse occasionally stops working and a
regular mouse has to be used.
April 18, 2004 7:58:56 PM

/anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com/ said:

>>"TominFL" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message >>news:1d68701c423a7$7fee22c0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>>
>>>I get to fix all the PC in my family but this one really
>>>stumps me. My daughter's new clone (I built) worked fine
>>>for two days when I first had it going. But she took it
>>>home and loaded wireless mouse and APC software and now
>>>it just up and restarts whenever it decides to do it.
>
> No messages, nada. Any ideas?
>>
>>Could you please elaborate what you mean with this
>>sentence: "Now it just up and restarts whenever it
>>decides to do it"? Just up what? Decides to to what?
>>The more precise your problem description is, the
>> more likely it is that someone can help you.
>>
> The computer restarts while any number of tasks are
> being done, ie... doing internet search on yahoo,
> drafting a document on Word, reading e-mail on outlook.
> Also, the wireless mouse occasionally stops working and a
> regular mouse has to be used.

To spot the error message open Control Panel|SYSTEM|ADVANCED tab|START UP
& RECOVERY|SETTINGS. Disable "automatically restart"...

Track down the error at the MS Knowledge Base, via the link below, of
perhaps here... http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org
http://support.microsoft.com
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 10:52:52 PM

> [...]

Run msconfig.exe and use it to disable all non-essential
task until you find the one that causes your machine to
misbehave. In particular, uninstall the wireless mouse and
use an ordinary mouse fow a while. "Uninstall" means
"unistall its driver", not just unplug the receiver!
!