Help.

Does anyone know how to set up the KT7A-RAID motherboard so it boots
directly from IDE3 port (the one that uses the HPT370 controller)? I
plan to connecto to IDE3 port with an ATA-100 cable to a Western Digital
80 GB ATA-100 hard drive where it boots with Windows XP Professional
(Service Pack 2).

I ask this question because the manual for this motherboard isn't too
clear about this.... :-(

Raymond Chuang
Sacramento, CA

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:41:44 +0000, Raymond Chuang wrote:

> Help.
>
> Does anyone know how to set up the KT7A-RAID motherboard so it boots
> directly from IDE3 port (the one that uses the HPT370 controller)? I
> plan to connecto to IDE3 port with an ATA-100 cable to a Western Digital
> 80 GB ATA-100 hard drive where it boots with Windows XP Professional
> (Service Pack 2).
>
> I ask this question because the manual for this motherboard isn't too
> clear about this.... :-(

With some bios there was a problem, but one of the choices would work with
any of the bioses. Try ATARAID first. If that doesn't work, Try HD0. I
can't recall if I had to use the same in all 3 choices or not to get it
to work. But there was a difference between some bioses. This was a KT7 or
KT7A (not ver.3). Don't know about KT7A V3.

Wes Newell wrote:

> With some bios there was a problem, but one of the choices would work with
> any of the bioses. Try ATARAID first. If that doesn't work, Try HD0. I
> can't recall if I had to use the same in all 3 choices or not to get it
> to work. But there was a difference between some bioses. This was a KT7 or
> KT7A (not ver.3). Don't know about KT7A V3.

What do you mean by ATARAID? Is that a configuration in the BIOS Setup
to set up boot from IDE3 port? I do know that IDE1 and IDE2 ports do
boot, but these IDE ports are ATA-33 only. :(

Raymond Chuang
Sacramento, CA USA

Raymond Chuang wrote:

| What do you mean by ATARAID? Is that a configuration in the BIOS
| Setup to set up boot from IDE3 port? I do know that IDE1 and IDE2
| ports do boot, but these IDE ports are ATA-33 only. :(

Hi Raymond -

I believe Wes was referring to boot devices in the Advanced BIOS Features
menu.

Sure about IDE1/IDE2 being only ATA33?

On the KT7/KT7-RAID, which was the immediate predecessor of the
KT7A/KT7A-RAID, IDE1/IDE2 were ATA66 and the Hotpoint controller (on the
KT7-RAID) supported ATA100.

It's my recollection that IDE1/IDE2 supported ATA100 on the KT7A/KT7A-RAID.

Jef

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 23:04:03 +0000, Raymond Chuang wrote:

> Wes Newell wrote:
>
>> With some bios there was a problem, but one of the choices would work with
>> any of the bioses. Try ATARAID first. If that doesn't work, Try HD0. I
>> can't recall if I had to use the same in all 3 choices or not to get it
>> to work. But there was a difference between some bioses. This was a KT7 or
>> KT7A (not ver.3). Don't know about KT7A V3.
>
> What do you mean by ATARAID? Is that a configuration in the BIOS Setup
> to set up boot from IDE3 port? I do know that IDE1 and IDE2 ports do
> boot, but these IDE ports are ATA-33 only. :(

ATARAID was an option in the boot choices (1st,2nd, 3rd). Which drive
within the raid controller that booted is set in the raid controller bios
with Cntrl-H IIRC. BTW, I'm pretty sure all KT7A boards used the via 686B
southbridge which supported ATA100. Even the earliest 686A supported
ATA66, so it's not limited to ATA33 for sure. If your southbridge is a
686B then it's ATA100 for IDE0 and IDE1 (or 1 & 2 if you prefer) too.

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 03:18:25 GMT, Wes Newell
<w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 23:04:03 +0000, Raymond Chuang wrote:
>
>> Wes Newell wrote:
>>
>>> With some bios there was a problem, but one of the choices would work with
>>> any of the bioses. Try ATARAID first. If that doesn't work, Try HD0. I
>>> can't recall if I had to use the same in all 3 choices or not to get it
>>> to work. But there was a difference between some bioses. This was a KT7 or
>>> KT7A (not ver.3). Don't know about KT7A V3.
>>
>> What do you mean by ATARAID? Is that a configuration in the BIOS Setup
>> to set up boot from IDE3 port? I do know that IDE1 and IDE2 ports do
>> boot, but these IDE ports are ATA-33 only. :(
>>
>ATARAID was an option in the boot choices (1st,2nd, 3rd). Which drive
>within the raid controller that booted is set in the raid controller bios
>with Cntrl-H IIRC. BTW, I'm pretty sure all KT7A boards used the via 686B
>southbridge which supported ATA100. Even the earliest 686A supported
>ATA66, so it's not limited to ATA33 for sure. If your southbridge is a
>686B then it's ATA100 for IDE0 and IDE1 (or 1 & 2 if you prefer) too.

Yes, I've got a KT7A knocking around somewhere; definitely supports
ATA100.

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...