Amd x2 3800 but what abit board to go with it ??

Amd x2 3800 but what abit board to go with it ??

I was thinking of doing some SLIing AND plonk 2 6600 Gts in a mobo.
But not sure if two 6600gts are work the trouble. And is SLi worth it.

Anyway i dont think i can justify the cost anyway. One Vidcard i think
will do me.

But i want all the other stuff USB 2.0 Onboard lan, Firewire ect. Sata
2 would be great with NCQ. As i want to add a SATA 2 drive to the new
system to make everything new. Might make it alittle bIT FASTER.

Thanks for the help.

/ps I DO intend to overclock. I think you can push the 3800 to 2.5 ghz
and even higher with the right cooling.

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about 3800 abit board

    It sounds like what you're trying to do is pretty standard usage (the
    marketing guys think that 10 USB ports vs. 8 are important and so on).
    I had my heart set on an Asus AN8-SLI Deluxe/Premium, but am now
    looking at the A8N-SLI Fatal1ty board from Abit.

    While the extra bells and whistles (extra 4 SATA ports for a total of
    8, second LAN port, and so on) is nice for some folks, it just
    introduces more driver issues. The board I mention gives you all of
    what you're looking for, such as NCQ/SATA-2, IEEE1394, USB2. From all
    reports the goal of that board has been to eliminate unnecessary items
    to boost stability, so I'm all for that.

    As for overclocking, I will defer to those who are more knowledgeable
    than me....

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:39:58 +1000, No One Realy <1@2.com.au> wrote:

    >Amd x2 3800 but what abit board to go with it ??
    >
    >I was thinking of doing some SLIing AND plonk 2 6600 Gts in a mobo.
    >But not sure if two 6600gts are work the trouble. And is SLi worth it.
    >
    >Anyway i dont think i can justify the cost anyway. One Vidcard i think
    >will do me.
    >
    >But i want all the other stuff USB 2.0 Onboard lan, Firewire ect. Sata
    >2 would be great with NCQ. As i want to add a SATA 2 drive to the new
    >system to make everything new. Might make it alittle bIT FASTER.
    >
    >Thanks for the help.
    >

    >/ps I DO intend to overclock. I think you can push the 3800 to 2.5 ghz
    >and even higher with the right cooling.
    >
    >Thanks.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Its going to me my main PC. My old abit NF7-s with a barton mobile at
    2.4ghz will go into my media pc. Whole mobo into new pc. And just
    change to a 250gig hd and rinstall the system. TA DA :)

    Thanks.

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:08:49 -0400, Ourouboros
    <Frank.Black@Millenium.com> wrote:

    >It sounds like what you're trying to do is pretty standard usage (the
    >marketing guys think that 10 USB ports vs. 8 are important and so on).
    >I had my heart set on an Asus AN8-SLI Deluxe/Premium, but am now
    >looking at the A8N-SLI Fatal1ty board from Abit.
    >
    >While the extra bells and whistles (extra 4 SATA ports for a total of
    >8, second LAN port, and so on) is nice for some folks, it just
    >introduces more driver issues. The board I mention gives you all of
    >what you're looking for, such as NCQ/SATA-2, IEEE1394, USB2. From all
    >reports the goal of that board has been to eliminate unnecessary items
    >to boost stability, so I'm all for that.
    >
    >As for overclocking, I will defer to those who are more knowledgeable
    >than me....
    >

    >On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:39:58 +1000, No One Realy <1@2.com.au> wrote:
    >

    >>Amd x2 3800 but what abit board to go with it ??
    >>
    >>I was thinking of doing some SLIing AND plonk 2 6600 Gts in a mobo.
    >>But not sure if two 6600gts are work the trouble. And is SLi worth it.
    >>
    >>Anyway i dont think i can justify the cost anyway. One Vidcard i think
    >>will do me.
    >>
    >>But i want all the other stuff USB 2.0 Onboard lan, Firewire ect. Sata
    >>2 would be great with NCQ. As i want to add a SATA 2 drive to the new
    >>system to make everything new. Might make it alittle bIT FASTER.
    >>
    >>Thanks for the help.
    >>

    >>/ps I DO intend to overclock. I think you can push the 3800 to 2.5 ghz
    >>and even higher with the right cooling.
    >>
    >>Thanks.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    No One Realy wrote:

    " I was thinking of doing some SLIing AND plonk 2 6600 Gts in a mobo.
    But not sure if two 6600gts are work the trouble. And is SLi worth it.
    Anyway i dont think i can justify the cost anyway. One Vidcard i think
    will do me. "

    2x 6600GT will cost between $300 and $400. A 6800GT will cost about the
    same, give you the same performance as 2x 6600GT in SLI, and run a lot
    better than a single 6600GT in games that don't support SLI.

    If you are feeling a little richer, but can't afford a top-of-the-line
    7800GTX, you can get a 7800GT for between $400 and $450.

    " But i want all the other stuff USB 2.0 Onboard lan, Firewire ect.
    Sata2 would be great with NCQ. As i want to add a SATA 2 drive to the
    new system to make everything new. Might make it alittle bIT FASTER. "

    http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_type.php?fMTYPE=Socket+939

    There are currently five socket 939 Abit motherboards with onboard
    SATA-II. All of them have PCI-Express x16, USB2 and GbE LAN. The single
    PCI-Express x16 boards are

    AN8 Ultra
    AN8 SLI
    KN8 Ultra
    Fatal1ty AN8
    Fatal1ty AN8 SLI

    The KN8 Ultra doesn't have a firewire port or headers, which probably
    throws that one out the window.

AMD Motherboards