Nf7s v2.0 and Mobile Athlon: more stable at lower Vcore?

In overclocking my Mobile Athlon my former tactic was to start from the
highest Vcore and work my way down. I've just noticed that above 1.9V Vcore
my Mobile Athlon is very unstable and that at 1.875V it seems most stable. I
even got the system to boot and run memtest at 230*11.5 = 2645, which I
could never get at higher voltages.

I also want to mention my Patriot Extreme Performance Low latency memory
which enabled me to get to 230Mhz FSB/memory synched. My Kingston Hyperx
could never get anywhere close to 230Mhz. Patriot gets a thumbs up from me.

--
there is no .sig
3 answers Last reply

    Here is a WAG...

    The cpu logic voltages must be translated to larger voltages outside
    the cpu (amplification). Increasing the vcore voltages (beyond design
    limits) may interfere with the voltage translation process. The
    performance of the process is/can be influenced by noise. Noise
    increases as you increase vcore.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    You'll need to do better.

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:47:44 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:

    >... Ever worked with MOSFET transistors Forrest? Obviously not.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Your apporach to selecting the voltages is actually backwards. Your
    components will survive better if you run them at the lowest heat
    disapation conditions you can. That means never use any more voltage
    than you need for stability. Additionally your mobile XP's were
    designed to run at the lower voltages.

    Hence I suggest changing your approach and start with much lower
    voltages. My XP mobiles will OC at 40% to 55% at voltages around
    1.575 to 1.65 Vcore.

    In your other post you asked about Super PI as a test for your OC.
    Itr is a quick way to see what the max you'll get. And it cang ive
    you some bragging rights. Hoiwever, other than giving a quick test it
    is not worth much. You can push some pretty high OC's thru the Super
    PI test that will never be really stable for you. 4-24 hours on
    Prime95 torture test will give a better measure of stability.

    Hope this helps some.
    Acc7

    >In overclocking my Mobile Athlon my former tactic was to start from the
    >highest Vcore and work my way down. I've just noticed that above 1.9V Vcore
    >my Mobile Athlon is very unstable and that at 1.875V it seems most stable. I
    >even got the system to boot and run memtest at 230*11.5 = 2645, which I
    >could never get at higher voltages.
    >
    >I also want to mention my Patriot Extreme Performance Low latency memory
    >which enabled me to get to 230Mhz FSB/memory synched. My Kingston Hyperx
    >could never get anywhere close to 230Mhz. Patriot gets a thumbs up from me.

Mobile Motherboards