nf7s v2.0: what's the better overclock?

I can get my mobile athlon to 2550 @ 221 Mhz FSB (synched, 2.5-3-3-11 CPC
disabled) but I can get 230 Mhz FSB (synched, 2.5-3-3-11 CPC disabled) if I
lower my CPU overclock to 2530. Since I've got an XP (even a mobile)
shouldn't I be aiming for the highest CPU clockspeed I can get?

--
there is no .sig
7 answers Last reply

    "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I can get my mobile athlon to 2550 @ 221 Mhz FSB (synched, 2.5-3-3-11 CPC
    >disabled) but I can get 230 Mhz FSB (synched, 2.5-3-3-11 CPC disabled) if I
    >lower my CPU overclock to 2530. Since I've got an XP (even a mobile)
    >shouldn't I be aiming for the highest CPU clockspeed I can get?

    There is practically nothing between the to set-ups. The only way you could
    tell would be through a bench test like PCMark, etc. The 11x230 might be a
    few seconds faster on a DVD to AVI conversion. Use the one which runs the
    longest in Prime95 torture test, etc.

    Dave
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Thanks Dave. I'll give that a try. What do you think of the PI test (the one
    which calculates the value of PI)?

    --
    there is no .sig
    "Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I can get my mobile athlon to 2550 @ 221 Mhz FSB (synched, 2.5-3-3-11 CPC
    >>disabled) but I can get 230 Mhz FSB (synched, 2.5-3-3-11 CPC disabled) if
    >>I lower my CPU overclock to 2530. Since I've got an XP (even a mobile)
    >>shouldn't I be aiming for the highest CPU clockspeed I can get?
    >>
    > There is practically nothing between the to set-ups. The only way you
    > could tell would be through a bench test like PCMark, etc. The 11x230
    > might be a few seconds faster on a DVD to AVI conversion. Use the one
    > which runs the longest in Prime95 torture test, etc.
    >
    > Dave

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Doug,

    As Dave said there is little difference between these two settings.
    20Mhz <1% difference.

    However, in general the difference between using the the multiplier or
    the FSB to get your overclock reflects the capabilities of the bus,
    CPU and memory. For instance, if you had a main application that was
    very FPU intensive, you would want to emphasize the CPU clock even if
    you had to run at a slower memory (FSB). i.e. you want want to use a
    high multiplier. The other anlogous situation would be if your memory
    speed was limiting the net clock speed, you would also want to raise
    the multiplier to get a faster CPU clock. and vice versa if yur
    processor limits you.

    Hope that helps a bit.
    Acc7
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Superpi is a great prog to test your pc stability.
    > Thanks Dave. I'll give that a try. What do you think of the PI test (the
    > one which calculates the value of PI)?
    >
    > --
    > there is no .sig
    > "Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>I can get my mobile athlon to 2550 @ 221 Mhz FSB (synched, 2.5-3-3-11 CPC
    >>>disabled) but I can get 230 Mhz FSB (synched, 2.5-3-3-11 CPC disabled) if
    >>>I lower my CPU overclock to 2530. Since I've got an XP (even a mobile)
    >>>shouldn't I be aiming for the highest CPU clockspeed I can get?
    >>>
    >> There is practically nothing between the to set-ups. The only way you
    >> could tell would be through a bench test like PCMark, etc. The 11x230
    >> might be a few seconds faster on a DVD to AVI conversion. Use the one
    >> which runs the longest in Prime95 torture test, etc.
    >>
    >> Dave

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Well, it turns out than even though memtest can run all day at a 230Mhz
    FSB/memory bus Half Life 2 didn't like it. So now I'm at 221 FSB/memory bus.

    --
    there is no .sig
    "Lester Piglet" <lesross@nullandvoid.com> wrote in message
    > Superpi is a great prog to test your pc stability.
    > "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Dave. I'll give that a try. What do you think of the PI test (the
    >> one which calculates the value of PI)?
    >>
    >> --
    >> there is no .sig
    >> "Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> There is practically nothing between the to set-ups. The only way you
    >>> could tell would be through a bench test like PCMark, etc. The 11x230
    >>> might be a few seconds faster on a DVD to AVI conversion. Use the one
    >>> which runs the longest in Prime95 torture test, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Dave

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Doug,

    In general, for your OC, you find the max you can get it to boot and
    run at all at. And then back the OC down to get good stability for
    the programs you want to run.

    Make sure you monitor the temps during this.

    A process for doing this is to start at or just below the max tou can
    set and get the system to boot and not crash. Then run Super_PI to
    look for quickly at stability. If It passes the 1M digits calc, next
    move on to Prime95. Run the Prime95 benchmark. Again if it passes
    that (runs it without errors), move on to the Prime95 "torture test".
    Try it first at 15 minutes nd work up to where Prime95 torture test
    can run for 24 hours.

    Most often there will be one level at which you can "set records" but
    not have the longer term behavior oyu need. Then ther is a lower
    "speed" level at which you can run with stability for your favorite
    programs.

    Hopethis helps some.

    Acc7

    >Well, it turns out than even though memtest can run all day at a 230Mhz
    >FSB/memory bus Half Life 2 didn't like it. So now I'm at 221 FSB/memory bus.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    btw, Memtest is not a good "torture test" Use Prime95 as a better
    measure of long term stability.

    And watch the temps.

    Acc7

    >Well, it turns out than even though memtest can run all day at a 230Mhz
    >FSB/memory bus Half Life 2 didn't like it. So now I'm at 221 FSB/memory bus.

Overclocking Mobile CPUs Motherboards