xp and HAL: MvP help, Please

user1

XP and HAL: HELP MVP

RE: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q309283
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283

The article referenced above states the following:
HAL Options After Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 Setup
When you install the following HALs on a Windows XP-based or Windows Server 2003-based computer, the following device manager HAL options appear: (List of 5-6 HAL types including the following:)

"ACPI Multiprocessor PC", ACPI APIC MP HAL (Halmacpi.dll)
Standard PC
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
ACPI Multiprocessor
MPS Multiprocessor

Several choices are listed. The ACPI MP PC HALL noted above is my interest.
EACH HAL type listed has a unique .dll file associated with it.
The ACPI Mulitprocessor PC, ACPI APIC MP HAL above is 'Halmacpi.dll.'
Note: A Standard PC HAL is Hal.dll

Question: After a clean install of XP and forcing the ACPI MP PC HAL type listed above, the XP Device Manager Driver Information indicates that Halmacpi.dll is NOT install. Rather Hal.dll is installed. The Hal.dll is installed when XP, again during a clean install, is allow to read the system and select the correct HAL.

Concern 1 : IS the KB article incorrect? IF specific .dll files associated with specific HALs are listed why are they not installed?
BIG Concern : Could it be that the .dll file installed has something to do with WindowsXP NOT recognizing certain devices associated with the Intel 875P chipset; namely the link between the "Processor and the I/O Controller" OR the link of "Processor to I/O Memory Interface - 257E"
System:
Asus p4c800e-deluxe
Intel 875P
Windows XP Pro
Clean Install on NTFS 20GB IBM IDE Drive
Intel P4 2.4c
Hyperthreading enabled
Default bios settings

HELP please...... :| Thank you.

Hello,
Whichever hal file is copied to the system32 folder is renamed to hal.dll.
So locate hal.dll in your \windows\system32 folder.
Right click on it and choose properties
Choose the version tab
Select internal name.
What shows in the value box?