NF7-S v2.0 motherboard - Intermittent Blue Screen Crashes

Hi,

For the last couple of months, I have been getting a blue screen crash
(error shows a hardware fault). This used to be very infrequent and I lived
with it. However, it now happens 10 times a day. At first I thought maybe it
was a overheating problem, so I have removed all the covers and put a 10inch
external fan blowing directly into the case. The crashes still continued.

I then used a Recover disk and run loads of diagnostics on the PC - never
crashed.

I then took out everything except the graphics card, and re-installed WinXP
Professional (and crashes continued).

All the drivers are updated to latest versions and are XP compatible.

I have a PC2700 512Mb dimm installed in DIMM-3. Thinking it is a RAM
problem, I purchased a PC2700 1GB Dimm. However, the bios does not get past
displaying the processor (AMD 2600+ processor) and amount of memory (1GB).
According to the manual, a PC2700 memory is allowed, so I do not know why it
would just freeze.

Putting both memory chips, into Dimms 3 and 2, the system behaved
differently.. if the 512 MB was in Dimm3, the system displayed incorrect
memory (about 1.4GB), loaded XP and crashed as soon as it tried to display
the signon screen. If 1GB was in dimm 3 and 512 in Dimm2, then the pc
freezes after displaying the memory size wrong.

Please can anyone guide me on what I can try next. I am getting desperate.

Thanks

SK
12 answers Last reply
More about motherboard intermittent blue screen crashes

    I would try to get the new ram to work (by itself) by:

    1) resetting the bios using the jumper. If that doesn't work then,
    2) try to get into the bios and manually set the memory (and/or fsb)
    settings to something lower then what they are defaulting to.

    Your first sense of temperature hypersensitivity does suggest the
    memory should be eliminated as a culprit.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:01:21 GMT, "Satinder" <satindrk@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >For the last couple of months, I have been getting a blue screen crash
    >(error shows a hardware fault). This used to be very infrequent and I lived
    >with it. However, it now happens 10 times a day. At first I thought maybe it
    >was a overheating problem, so I have removed all the covers and put a 10inch
    >external fan blowing directly into the case. The crashes still continued.

    < snip >
    >.... Thinking it is a RAM
    >problem, I purchased a PC2700 1GB Dimm. However, the bios does not get past
    >displaying the processor (AMD 2600+ processor) and amount of memory (1GB).
    < snip >
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Thanks for your advice.

    I have updated the bios, and used the F6 safe settings, and it seemed ok
    last even with the optimised settings. (The optimised setting under the new
    version of the bios are different). I have done a complete virus scan and
    now doing a defrag on 2 disk drives and the temperature is hovering around
    50C (idle was 47C) and the fans are running at 2300rpm. It could be the new
    bios monitors and controls the fans better ? {the above was done with all
    the covers on the case}

    However, regarding the 1GB PC2700 memory upgrade, it doesnt get past
    displaying the wrong memory size, even with different bios settings. I think
    I may have a dud memory chip.

    Regards

    Satinder

    "- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
    >I would try to get the new ram to work (by itself) by:
    >
    > 1) resetting the bios using the jumper. If that doesn't work then,
    > 2) try to get into the bios and manually set the memory (and/or fsb)
    > settings to something lower then what they are defaulting to.
    >
    > Your first sense of temperature hypersensitivity does suggest the
    > memory should be eliminated as a culprit.
    >
    > Forrest
    >
    > Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    > http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/
    >

    > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:01:21 GMT, "Satinder" <satindrk@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>For the last couple of months, I have been getting a blue screen crash
    >>(error shows a hardware fault). This used to be very infrequent and I
    >>lived
    >>with it. However, it now happens 10 times a day. At first I thought maybe
    >>it
    >>was a overheating problem, so I have removed all the covers and put a
    >>10inch
    >>external fan blowing directly into the case. The crashes still continued.
    >>
    > < snip >
    >>.... Thinking it is a RAM
    >>problem, I purchased a PC2700 1GB Dimm. However, the bios does not get
    >>past
    >>displaying the processor (AMD 2600+ processor) and amount of memory (1GB).
    > < snip >

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Ok, you bet.

    50C sounds pretty typical. Could it be the bios upgrade or maybe the
    F6 setting? Has the problem gone completely away?

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:49:42 GMT, "Satinder" <satindrk@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for your advice.
    >
    >I have updated the bios, and used the F6 safe settings, and it seemed ok
    >last even with the optimised settings. (The optimised setting under the new
    >version of the bios are different).
    < snip >
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Hi,

    It has crashed twice with this hardware problem, in the last 48hrs (was
    crashing every 30mins before). I had tried the F6 setting before without
    success, so the new firmware has helped.

    A quick question of memory. Both chips are PC2700 DDR. Apart from the size
    of the memory, is there any other differences? I have heard of single
    channel, double channel and ECC.... Could I be using the wrong type? and
    how do I find out what I have got?

    I can live with 1 or 2 crashes every other day. SO thanks again for ur
    advice.

    Regards

    SK

    > Ok, you bet.
    >
    > 50C sounds pretty typical. Could it be the bios upgrade or maybe the
    > F6 setting? Has the problem gone completely away?
    >
    > Forrest
    >
    > Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    > http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/
    >

    > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:49:42 GMT, "Satinder" <satindrk@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks for your advice.
    >>
    >>I have updated the bios, and used the F6 safe settings, and it seemed ok
    >>last even with the optimised settings. (The optimised setting under the
    >>new
    >>version of the bios are different).
    > < snip >

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    See below...

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:55:41 GMT, "Satinder" <satindrk@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >It has crashed twice with this hardware problem, in the last 48hrs (was
    >crashing every 30mins before). I had tried the F6 setting before without
    >success, so the new firmware has helped.
    >
    >A quick question of memory. Both chips are PC2700 DDR. Apart from the size
    >of the memory, is there any other differences? I have heard of single
    >channel, double channel and ECC.... Could I be using the wrong type? and
    >how do I find out what I have got?

    It sounds like you've got memory that is unmarked, yes? Dual channel
    memory would be a non-issue. It just means the two sticks are similar
    in performance characteristics (duh). ECC doesn't normally cause
    problems, the mobo ignores the extra memory chips, but it is possible.
    Registered memory also is normally not a problem. Most memory is
    "unbuffered" - and is what you want for cost reasons if nothing else.
    It's the least expensive. Is unbuffered what you have?

    >I can live with 1 or 2 crashes every other day. SO thanks again for ur
    >advice.

    That doesn't sound good. It should not crash at all. Crash free
    should be universally achievable by everyone.

    Did you ever try lowering the fsb in the bios. This is usually
    effective in such situations. 5 or 10% lower should do it.

    >Regards
    >
    >SK

    < snip >
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    When the bios displays the amount of memory the PC has, what should it
    display when you install a 1GB DDR PC2700 chip ?

    "Satinder" <satindrk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > It has crashed twice with this hardware problem, in the last 48hrs (was
    > crashing every 30mins before). I had tried the F6 setting before without
    > success, so the new firmware has helped.
    >
    > A quick question of memory. Both chips are PC2700 DDR. Apart from the
    > size of the memory, is there any other differences? I have heard of
    > single channel, double channel and ECC.... Could I be using the wrong
    > type? and how do I find out what I have got?
    >
    > I can live with 1 or 2 crashes every other day. SO thanks again for ur
    > advice.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > SK
    >
    > "- HAL9000" <gumpy@mail.org> wrote in message
    >> Ok, you bet.
    >>
    >> 50C sounds pretty typical. Could it be the bios upgrade or maybe the
    >> F6 setting? Has the problem gone completely away?
    >>
    >> Forrest
    >>
    >> Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    >> http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/
    >>

    >> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 12:49:42 GMT, "Satinder" <satindrk@hotmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks for your advice.
    >>>
    >>>I have updated the bios, and used the F6 safe settings, and it seemed ok
    >>>last even with the optimised settings. (The optimised setting under the
    >>>new
    >>>version of the bios are different).
    >> < snip >

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    LOL, is this a trick question, 1 gig of course. It might say 1,024
    KB. What does your's say?

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:06:06 GMT, "Satinder" <satindrk@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >When the bios displays the amount of memory the PC has, what should it
    >display when you install a 1GB DDR PC2700 chip ?

    < snip >
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    I wish it was a trick question.... it displays 2049 something....

    strange eh?

    No wonder pc hangs

    > LOL, is this a trick question, 1 gig of course. It might say 1,024
    > KB. What does your's say?
    >
    > Forrest
    >
    > Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    > http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/
    >

    > On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:06:06 GMT, "Satinder" <satindrk@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>When the bios displays the amount of memory the PC has, what should it
    >>display when you install a 1GB DDR PC2700 chip ?
    >>

    > < snip >

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > See below...
    >
    > Forrest
    >
    > Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    > http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/
    >

    > On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:55:41 GMT, "Satinder" <satindrk@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>It has crashed twice with this hardware problem, in the last 48hrs (was
    >>crashing every 30mins before). I had tried the F6 setting before without
    >>success, so the new firmware has helped.
    >>
    >>A quick question of memory. Both chips are PC2700 DDR. Apart from the
    >>size
    >>of the memory, is there any other differences? I have heard of single
    >>channel, double channel and ECC.... Could I be using the wrong type? and
    >>how do I find out what I have got?
    >
    > It sounds like you've got memory that is unmarked, yes? Dual channel
    > memory would be a non-issue. It just means the two sticks are similar
    > in performance characteristics (duh). ECC doesn't normally cause
    > problems, the mobo ignores the extra memory chips, but it is possible.
    > Registered memory also is normally not a problem. Most memory is
    > "unbuffered" - and is what you want for cost reasons if nothing else.
    > It's the least expensive. Is unbuffered what you have?

    It is supposed to be unbuffered. This is its information:
    http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10268300&pid=44

    >>I can live with 1 or 2 crashes every other day. SO thanks again for ur
    >>advice.
    >>

    > That doesn't sound good. It should not crash at all. Crash free
    > should be universally achievable by everyone.
    >
    > Did you ever try lowering the fsb in the bios. This is usually
    > effective in such situations. 5 or 10% lower should do it.

    I will try that tomorrow...

    >>Regards
    >>
    >>SK
    >>
    > < snip >

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Are you sure that isn't the cpu speed?

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:39:28 GMT, "Satinder" <satindrk@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >... it displays 2049 something....
    < snip >
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Ok. You might work on one stick at a time until you've figured out
    what maximum settings each will tolerate. Then, when you try dual
    channel, set the speed to the lower of the two.

    Also, the memtest86 program (free) is good for testing that the memory
    settings your trying produces no memory faults under demanding
    operating conditions. You put the program on a floppy and boot from
    the floppy to use the program. It runs by itself - without an
    operating system.
    http://www.memtest.org/
    The microsoft implementation of the program (also free) you might find
    slightly easier to use.
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    Good luck with it.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:51:28 GMT, "Satinder" <satindrk@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    < snip >
    >It is supposed to be unbuffered. This is its information:
    >http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10268300&pid=44

    < snip >
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    In article <ATMOe.103$hR5.82@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net>, satindrk@hotmail.com
    says...

    > It is supposed to be unbuffered. This is its information:
    > http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10268300&pid=44
    >

    > >>I can live with 1 or 2 crashes every other day. SO thanks again for ur
    > >>advice.
    > >>

    > > That doesn't sound good. It should not crash at all. Crash free
    > > should be universally achievable by everyone.
    > >
    > > Did you ever try lowering the fsb in the bios. This is usually
    > > effective in such situations. 5 or 10% lower should do it.
    >
    > I will try that tomorrow...

    I don't want to poo-pooh your new RAM but that is not a brand I ever
    heard of.
    Try running it at a FSB of 100 Mhz and if it STILL won't run, try it in
    somebody else's computer maybe --- there is a remote chance that the
    memory controller in your mainboard has had its chips ... but otherwise
    I'd send it back and purchase some branded PC3200 RAM. Like Crucial,
    which is cheap and has a great name for stability and reliability.

    I agree with HAL, you should not see a single BSoD in a month, nor in a
    year, really.

    One thing I had problems with myself was XP Service Pack2 - that damn
    thing kept crashing my machine. I uninstalled it and am running SP1 and
    it's rock solid again. Part of the problem is DirectX 9.c in my case
    (which was installed by SP2 and I can't downgrade again to 9.b) and I
    had to get better memory (swapped Kingmax for Crucial) and reduced the
    RAM speed to 180Mhz from 200Mhz - that sorted my BSoD problems out
    comprehensively.

    -Peter

Blue Screen Motherboards