Hard Disk size smaller than it should be

I recently transferred my 120gb hard disk into my new
computer. The problem is that my old computer could only
recognise the hard disk as 32gb capacity. When I put it
into my new computer and formatted the drive it was still
showing a 32gb capacity instead of 120gb. Is there any
way I can use all 120gb of the hard disk again?

Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314463&Product=winxp

How to Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Adam Holownia" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

|I recently transferred my 120gb hard disk into my new
| computer. The problem is that my old computer could only
| recognise the hard disk as 32gb capacity. When I put it
| into my new computer and formatted the drive it was still
| showing a 32gb capacity instead of 120gb. Is there any
| way I can use all 120gb of the hard disk again?

I've read the links you gave me but after trying to
partition and format the hard disk it still shows a
maximum capacity of 32gb???

us;313348&Product=winxp

---------------------------------------

wrote in message:

>|I recently transferred my 120gb hard disk into my new
>| computer. The problem is that my old computer could
only
>| recognise the hard disk as 32gb capacity. When I put
it
>| into my new computer and formatted the drive it was
still
>| showing a 32gb capacity instead of 120gb. Is there any
>| way I can use all 120gb of the hard disk again?
>.

If you format it in Windows XP, then the max you'll ever get using FAT32 is
32 gigs.

Now, if you are trying to format it as NTFS, and it is still showing up as
32 gigs, then you have another problem.

Make sure your hard drive controller supports larger sized hard drives (>32
gigs).
Make sure you hard drive is jumpered properly (many hard drives have a
jumper configuration that limits the hard drive reported size to 32 gigs for
compatibility reasons (for hard drive controllers that don't support >32 gig
hard drives)

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -