Boot problem with ICH5 RAID 0 on IC7-MAX3

I recently had a dual boot sys win/lin on a 200gb WD drive. However
through messing with it I have borked the MBR. SO before I did
anything else with that drive, I wanted something to recover some of
the data too.

Due to my extensive use of optical drives, my only option was SATA, so
I have gone the whole hog (as far as my budget will let me) and
purchased 2 36.7gb Raptors.

I sat down, read the manual, then read it again. I have been in the
BIOS, set bootable add in device to Onboard SATA Raid. Enabled all
onboard SATA controllers (even silicon image). Where the option in
the bios to use raid or ide 3 and 4 master I have set to raid. And
the raid rom has been enabled.

Boot priority is FDD,CD,HDD,Other (enabled)

I restarted, pressed CTRL-I at the appropriate point and configure the
2 identical drives to the RAID-0 configuration.

I inserted my Win XP Pro CD and booted, pressing F6 where appropriate
and installing all the XP SATA drivers from ABIT's floppy.

Windows installed without a hitch, and quickly too. At this point I
have just installed win, not added ANY of the windows drivers.

During the install, at the first restart, I had left the Win CD in the
CDROM. I waited while it said press anykey to boot from CD. I was
then confronted with 2 copies of XP (the latter being the one on my
200GB with the borked MBR) I ignored it and just selected the default
which was my new install.

I took the CD out and restarted.

INCORRECT SYSTEM DISK OR DISK ERROR

I out the CD back in, as when it first rebooted durring install I
didn't have this problem, and sure enough it scanned the CD. I
waited whilst it said press any key to boot from CD and it found the
install of win.

Took the CD out

INCORRECT SYSTEM DISK OR DISK ERROR

Cd in

Windows

CD out

INCORRECT SYSTEM DISK OR DISK ERROR

etc...

Please note that I did check and made sure that there was no
floppy in drive a:

There are 2 things I can think of to try. First is to update the
BIOS. I am on revision 13 atm. This may well help as several
revisions have been released since then. If that fails the only
other option I can see is to place a value in the IDE delay. But I
can't see that working.

Answers on a postcard please :D

If required, here are the full specs of my machine

3.0 GHz prescott cooled via Thermaltake SubZero4G
2GB of Corsair DDR400 (4x512MB)
Gigabyte GeForce 5950 Ultra
Sounblaster Audigy2 ZS
2x36.7GB Raptor
1X200GB WD(unknown model)
1x650w QTec PSU + 1x550w QTec PSU (linked together)
CD-Rom
CDRW
DVDRW
ThermalTake Hardcano 9 Fan controller and temp monitor
2x120mm case fans (intake) 3x80mm case fans (exhaust)

Just one observation: When you install XP(or any of the previous NTFS
systems) it is essential that NO other drives or partitions exist in the
system. XP will still recognise partitions and systems even if you set the
bios to NONE for those drives. That may not be the reason why yours will not
boot after install, but just having another XP system or partitions present
while you install will give problems, not least of which is to make your new
installation some other drive letter than C which cannot be changed later.

By any chance, were you using Drive Image when you did your borking ?

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:31:51 GMT,
jonathan.bond@runbox-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Carrot.) wrote:

>I recently had a dual boot sys win/lin on a 200gb WD drive. However
>through messing with it I have borked the MBR. ...
< snip >

"Carrot." wrote in message...
> Boot priority is FDD,CD,HDD,Other (enabled)

That boot priority is unnecessarily complex. To install XP I set the primary
boot device to CDROM, then after first reboot I set it to HDD-0. The other
three options are disabled at all times, and indeed this (especially
enabling the "boot other device" option) may be part of your problem. "Boot
Other Device" in particular can cause all sorts of oddities, especially if
you have a flash drive or similar connected to your system.

> I inserted my Win XP Pro CD and booted, pressing F6 where
> appropriate and installing all the XP SATA drivers from ABIT's
> floppy.

If your target drives were connected to the Intel SATA-RAID controller, you
didn't need to install all the drivers off the floppy. The Intel 82801ER
drivers alone would have done you fine.

The other thing it doesn't sound like you've checked is the Hard Disk Boot
Priority option in the Advanced section of the BIOS. Enter it, and make sure
that Bootable Add-In Device is set *above* your 200GB drive.

> Please note that I did check and made sure that there was no
> floppy in drive a:

Again shows why you don't need floppy in the boot device order!

> There are 2 things I can think of to try. First is to update the
> BIOS. I am on revision 13 atm.

Updating wouldn't do any harm, especially seeing as the one you have now
doesn't even have proper Prescott support IIRC! However, I suspect that it
won't by itself solve your boot order problem, that's more a setup issue.

> If that fails the only other option I can see is to place a value in the
> IDE delay. But I can't see that working.

No that won't make any difference at all.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Thanks for your replies guys. It is now working.

@ Nick Carter
Apart from the borked volume, no other copies of XP are present. And
that didn't appear to cause the problem.

@ Jim
No USB devs atm - sorry :D

@ - HAL9000
Nope - not using drive image, just teh base Debian installer, placing
grub in /dev/hda2 as opposed to the MBR (or at least that is what I
think/should have done)

@ Richard Hopkins
Yes the boot priority is complex, however I need it set thus for
normal use. It is still set thus atm.
Drives were set to ICH5 on the SouthBridge. My copy of XP is pre SP1
and I haven't slipstreamed it yet. Dunno if that matters, but
without going through the F6 options the RAID array does not show
itself as a drive to install to.
After Flashing the BIOS I set the priority for the addin dev higher
than the 200GB. I can't remeber if it was this way before I flashed
the BIOS and cleared the CMOS tho. (NB: even so, I wasn't even
getting the error message associated with the borked partition which
was a whole 5 or 6 lines).

So it seems it was either the BIOS, or the bootable add in device's
priority - or possibly both.

But now it works.

Just setting OnTrack onto my borked drive now :D

"Carrot." <jonathan.bond@runbox-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message...
> Thanks for your replies guys. It is now working.

Good noos. :)

> Drives were set to ICH5 on the SouthBridge. My copy of XP is pre
> SP1 and I haven't slipstreamed it yet. Dunno if that matters, but
> without going through the F6 options the RAID array does not
> show itself as a drive to install to.

Steady, I didn't say that you could get away without F6'ing at all, I said
that you needn't have installed *every* driver off the floppy (i.e. the SiI
and VIA ones) as you previously indicated you had done ("installing all the
XP SATA drivers from ABIT's floppy"). You have to install the Intel drivers
if you want to install WinXP to the Intel controller, but you don't need to
install the others.

> After Flashing the BIOS I set the priority for the addin dev higher
> than the 200GB. I can't remeber if it was this way before I
> flashed the BIOS and cleared the CMOS tho.

Unless you'd previously gone in and changed it, it wouldn't have been.
Default behaviour would have had the 200GB drive ahead of the RAID
controller in the boot order.

> (NB: even so, I wasn't even getting the error message associated
> with the borked partition which was a whole 5 or 6 lines).

The system would have booted from the RAID array, because you told it to,
but by setting the parallel ATA controller above the RAID controller in the
Boot Device Order, you effectively also put the CD drive(s) above the RAID
array in the boot order, which is why, when you remove the CD, the system
wouldn't boot, as your boot.ini file would then be wrong.

Good luck with fixing the other drive!