HDD causes boot problems

After trying to boot my machine, I get past the XP screen
and my computer just reboots. Then continuously tries to
start up only to reboot. If I try to enter into safe mode
or any other the same thing happens. When I disconnect my
additional hard drive, I can boot with no problems at
all. Also, I can see the drive and even move/copy/delete
files while using Knoppix, just not with XP. Is there
anyway that I can recover this drive?

Its a Western Digital 120GB drive with a lot of
information I do not have backed up, and cannot delete.
Should I try to delete or move the CLSID and/or system
info on the root of the drive?
2 answers Last reply
More about boot problems

    It could be power supply problems. Maybe you are on the ragged edge of
    needed power. The most power used is during startup when the hard drives
    are spinning up.
    If you have a external hard drive enclosure you might be able to retrieve
    the data through a USB 2 or firewire connection. This option reduces the
    power supply load because the power to the HD is also external.
    I am not familar with Knoppix I assume that this is on a different computer?
    "Ziggy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After trying to boot my machine, I get past the XP screen
    > and my computer just reboots. Then continuously tries to
    > start up only to reboot. If I try to enter into safe mode
    > or any other the same thing happens. When I disconnect my
    > additional hard drive, I can boot with no problems at
    > all. Also, I can see the drive and even move/copy/delete
    > files while using Knoppix, just not with XP. Is there
    > anyway that I can recover this drive?
    >
    > Its a Western Digital 120GB drive with a lot of
    > information I do not have backed up, and cannot delete.
    > Should I try to delete or move the CLSID and/or system
    > info on the root of the drive?

    I've tried switching power supplies, no problems there.
    The disk is also internal. Knoppix is a Linux based cdrom
    driven OS, it has no problems reading the info off the
    drive. I've tried just about everything. None of the
    knowledge bases seem to point me in the right direction.
    I'm dealing with a stop: 0x24 ntfs.sys error on the drive
    and in order to do any maintenance I need to be in
    windows with the drive disconnected. All the knowledge
    bases say to test the drive within windows, which I cant
    boot windows while the drive is connected. Furthermore i
    know of no way to create a boot disk to check the drive.
    The only boot disk I know to make is a 98 boot disk,
    which is useless because of FAT's inability to see NTFS
    partitions. Heh. I'm a little frustated here...

Boot Hard Drives Windows XP