Thinking of building a new system.

I think the time has come for me to put together a new system and retire my
old ST6R even though it has been running like a champ. But the 1.1Ghz P3 is
getting a little long in tooth, plus the 512mb RAM limit is letting itself
be known. So:

Here are my requirements: Intel Chip, Decent overclock (but not a
necessity), SATA drives (possibly RAIDed), 1 or 2 Gb of RAM. The price
needs to be reasonable, so please don't tell me to get the P4E chips.

So, help me spec this out. Give me opinions. What is the latest? What
should I look and look out for? What are the CPU and MB (chipset) choices?
Etc, etc.

Lets hear it.
--
Jerry P.
25 answers Last reply

    Jerry Polyak wrote:

    > I think the time has come for me to put together a new system and retire my
    > old ST6R even though it has been running like a champ. But the 1.1Ghz P3 is
    > getting a little long in tooth, plus the 512mb RAM limit is letting itself
    > be known. So:

    :-)
    4k 'bits' usta be 'base' for a DG McNova ...
    Mamory HOG !!!!!

    > Here are my requirements: Intel Chip, Decent overclock (but not a
    > necessity), SATA drives (possibly RAIDed), 1 or 2 Gb of RAM. The price
    > needs to be reasonable, so please don't tell me to get the P4E chips.
    >
    > So, help me spec this out. Give me opinions. What is the latest? What
    > should I look and look out for? What are the CPU and MB (chipset) choices?
    > Etc, etc.
    >
    > Lets hear it.

    This =IS= God !!!
    Listen carefully ...

    Do your homework re : Intel/AMD dual cores ... and the supporting
    chip-sets.
    A 'few' mite consider it amusing.

    Added 'too' ...
    how many current, commercial 'app' coders can hack a dual-core "App" ...
    ???
    Nobody writes 'asslr' anymore , "C"( & variants ) aint yet prime-time
    for dual core coding ...

    Then 'too' ...
    AGP seems in decline.
    no great new 'shakes' in mamory design ...
    the new 'vertical' HD recording holds (future) promise of 3.5" 1TB HDs ,
    & ++ .

    Me?
    I'd wait a while, let the 'dust' settle.

    'Sport_About' in your '33' beast ...
    but not to the 'extent' that Willie debauched ...
    be called "God" ...
    enjoy life.
    Let the bleeding-edge types do 'beta'.

    Can you speak any of the India 'Indian" dialects ... yet.
    Its 'hoped' that you( here in the USofA ) have International 'LD' ...
    You 'too' can/will be outsourced.

    Qed.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Sounds like fun, and you sound like you know what you're doing, so I'll
    only say one thing and let others add their 2 cents:

    Go RAID 0. Biggest bang-for-the-buck without a doubt, for the price of a
    second HD you get very noticable performance increase. Look at the
    Hitachi 80 GB SATA II drive, about $55 at newegg. Buy two, mate to a ICH7R
    and you're cookin w/ gas! 160 GB should be plenty for most people, if you
    archive tons of music or videos (for playback) then add 3rd big HD for
    that. But, if you do a lot of media EDITING then I'd get two big HDs and
    raid 0 them instead, the thruput increase when editting/converting will be
    noticable.

    And don't fall into the trap of thinking that it's less reliable, and that
    "if I loose one drive then I loose everything" - that's true if you don't
    raid-0 too! Go for it...
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    > Sounds like fun, and you sound like you know what you're doing, so I'll
    > only say one thing and let others add their 2 cents:
    >
    > Go RAID 0. Biggest bang-for-the-buck without a doubt, for the price of a
    > second HD you get very noticable performance increase. Look at the
    > Hitachi 80 GB SATA II drive, about $55 at newegg. Buy two, mate to a ICH7R
    > and you're cookin w/ gas! 160 GB should be plenty for most people, if you
    > archive tons of music or videos (for playback) then add 3rd big HD for
    > that. But, if you do a lot of media EDITING then I'd get two big HDs and
    > raid 0 them instead, the thruput increase when editting/converting will be
    > noticable.
    >
    > And don't fall into the trap of thinking that it's less reliable, and that
    > "if I loose one drive then I loose everything" - that's true if you don't
    > raid-0 too! Go for it...

    I ran RAID-0 on my current set up for a while. Had to abandon it due to the
    controller being flaky, failed drives, etc. I did lose my data every time.
    But I think out of the five failures, four were disk related (damn
    Deathstars). It didn't hurt too much, since all my data is stored on a
    server anyway and I always made sure I had good backups. Regarding the
    HD's. Are the 10k RPM Raptors still any good? I am doing a lot of editing
    these days, so a couple of RAIDed fast drives would be ideal. Which drives
    are native SATA these days?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "0_Qed" <nano.bot@shaysnet.com> wrote in message
    > Jerry Polyak wrote:
    >>
    >> I think the time has come for me to put together a new system and retire
    >> my
    >> old ST6R even though it has been running like a champ. But the 1.1Ghz P3
    >> is
    >> getting a little long in tooth, plus the 512mb RAM limit is letting
    >> itself
    >> be known. So:
    >
    > :-)
    > 4k 'bits' usta be 'base' for a DG McNova ...
    > Mamory HOG !!!!!
    >

    >> Here are my requirements: Intel Chip, Decent overclock (but not a
    >> necessity), SATA drives (possibly RAIDed), 1 or 2 Gb of RAM. The price
    >> needs to be reasonable, so please don't tell me to get the P4E chips.
    >>
    >> So, help me spec this out. Give me opinions. What is the latest? What
    >> should I look and look out for? What are the CPU and MB (chipset)
    >> choices?
    >> Etc, etc.
    >>
    >> Lets hear it.
    >
    > This =IS= God !!!
    > Listen carefully ...
    >
    > Do your homework re : Intel/AMD dual cores ... and the supporting
    > chip-sets.
    > A 'few' mite consider it amusing.
    >
    > Added 'too' ...
    > how many current, commercial 'app' coders can hack a dual-core "App" ...
    > ???
    > Nobody writes 'asslr' anymore , "C"( & variants ) aint yet prime-time
    > for dual core coding ...
    >
    > Then 'too' ...
    > AGP seems in decline.
    > no great new 'shakes' in mamory design ...
    > the new 'vertical' HD recording holds (future) promise of 3.5" 1TB HDs ,
    > & ++ .
    >
    > Me?
    > I'd wait a while, let the 'dust' settle.
    >
    > 'Sport_About' in your '33' beast ...
    > but not to the 'extent' that Willie debauched ...
    > be called "God" ...
    > enjoy life.
    > Let the bleeding-edge types do 'beta'.
    >
    > Can you speak any of the India 'Indian" dialects ... yet.
    > Its 'hoped' that you( here in the USofA ) have International 'LD' ...
    > You 'too' can/will be outsourced.
    >
    > Qed.

    HAHAHAHA!!!

    Interestingly enough, we've been buying a lot of Dell's lately which come
    with bad caps as a feature. So I've been spending a lot, and I mean a LOT,
    of time with Dell tech support. Let's just say it's been very amusing, to
    say the least.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Yes, I was going to say, if you're going RAID 0, make sure you have good
    backups and preferably a recent image of your boot/system partition as well.
    Seagate has the best warranty right now (5 yrs), but currently only make
    SATA 150 drives AFAIK. Hitachi seems to be the leader on SATA II drives,
    and IIRC, they come with a 3yr warranty. If I were building a new system
    today, I'd buy an Athlon 64 with a slot 939 board.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    "Jerry Polyak" <dawg2golf@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    >> Sounds like fun, and you sound like you know what you're doing, so I'll
    >> only say one thing and let others add their 2 cents:
    >>
    >> Go RAID 0. Biggest bang-for-the-buck without a doubt, for the price of a
    >> second HD you get very noticable performance increase. Look at the
    >> Hitachi 80 GB SATA II drive, about $55 at newegg. Buy two, mate to a
    >> ICH7R
    >> and you're cookin w/ gas! 160 GB should be plenty for most people, if
    >> you
    >> archive tons of music or videos (for playback) then add 3rd big HD for
    >> that. But, if you do a lot of media EDITING then I'd get two big HDs and
    >> raid 0 them instead, the thruput increase when editting/converting will
    >> be
    >> noticable.
    >>
    >> And don't fall into the trap of thinking that it's less reliable, and
    >> that
    >> "if I loose one drive then I loose everything" - that's true if you don't
    >> raid-0 too! Go for it...
    >>

    > I ran RAID-0 on my current set up for a while. Had to abandon it due to
    > the controller being flaky, failed drives, etc. I did lose my data every
    > time. But I think out of the five failures, four were disk related (damn
    > Deathstars). It didn't hurt too much, since all my data is stored on a
    > server anyway and I always made sure I had good backups. Regarding the
    > HD's. Are the 10k RPM Raptors still any good? I am doing a lot of
    > editing these days, so a couple of RAIDed fast drives would be ideal.
    > Which drives are native SATA these days?

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Er, I meant socket 939....

    Regards,

    Margaret

    "Margaret Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, I was going to say, if you're going RAID 0, make sure you have good
    > backups and preferably a recent image of your boot/system partition as
    > well. Seagate has the best warranty right now (5 yrs), but currently only
    > make SATA 150 drives AFAIK. Hitachi seems to be the leader on SATA II
    > drives, and IIRC, they come with a 3yr warranty. If I were building a new
    > system today, I'd buy an Athlon 64 with a slot 939 board.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Margaret
    >
    > "Jerry Polyak" <dawg2golf@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    >>> Sounds like fun, and you sound like you know what you're doing, so I'll
    >>> only say one thing and let others add their 2 cents:
    >>>
    >>> Go RAID 0. Biggest bang-for-the-buck without a doubt, for the price of
    >>> second HD you get very noticable performance increase. Look at the
    >>> Hitachi 80 GB SATA II drive, about $55 at newegg. Buy two, mate to a
    >>> ICH7R
    >>> and you're cookin w/ gas! 160 GB should be plenty for most people, if
    >>> you
    >>> archive tons of music or videos (for playback) then add 3rd big HD for
    >>> that. But, if you do a lot of media EDITING then I'd get two big HDs and
    >>> raid 0 them instead, the thruput increase when editting/converting will
    >>> be
    >>> noticable.
    >>>
    >>> And don't fall into the trap of thinking that it's less reliable, and
    >>> that
    >>> "if I loose one drive then I loose everything" - that's true if you
    >>> don't
    >>> raid-0 too! Go for it...
    >>>

    >> I ran RAID-0 on my current set up for a while. Had to abandon it due to
    >> the controller being flaky, failed drives, etc. I did lose my data every
    >> time. But I think out of the five failures, four were disk related (damn
    >> Deathstars). It didn't hurt too much, since all my data is stored on a
    >> server anyway and I always made sure I had good backups. Regarding the
    >> HD's. Are the 10k RPM Raptors still any good? I am doing a lot of
    >> editing these days, so a couple of RAIDed fast drives would be ideal.
    >> Which drives are native SATA these days?

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    I am not building the system necessarily "today". This is an information
    gathering step. I was hoping to get some opinions/information on CPU's
    available and upcoming. I.E. different cores available and the info and ETA
    on the upcoming dual core chips.

    HD's will most likely be 2x74GB 10k RPM Raptors in RAID-0 for OS and
    applications. Another 80GB drive for backing up the array and a 250GB for
    data and file storage.

    Not sure on the Video Card. Don't think my old one will be compatible. But
    nothing to pricey. I just need to edit photos and a movie every now and
    than. Don't do that much gaming anymore.

    1 or 2 GB of memory should do. Always had good results with Crucial.

    Case, PS, optical drives are no brainers. There is still no SATA optical
    drives, right?

    "Margaret Wilson" <twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, I was going to say, if you're going RAID 0, make sure you have good
    > backups and preferably a recent image of your boot/system partition as
    > well. Seagate has the best warranty right now (5 yrs), but currently only
    > make SATA 150 drives AFAIK. Hitachi seems to be the leader on SATA II
    > drives, and IIRC, they come with a 3yr warranty. If I were building a new
    > system today, I'd buy an Athlon 64 with a slot 939 board.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Margaret
    >
    > "Jerry Polyak" <dawg2golf@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    >>> Sounds like fun, and you sound like you know what you're doing, so I'll
    >>> only say one thing and let others add their 2 cents:
    >>>
    >>> Go RAID 0. Biggest bang-for-the-buck without a doubt, for the price of
    >>> second HD you get very noticable performance increase. Look at the
    >>> Hitachi 80 GB SATA II drive, about $55 at newegg. Buy two, mate to a
    >>> ICH7R
    >>> and you're cookin w/ gas! 160 GB should be plenty for most people, if
    >>> you
    >>> archive tons of music or videos (for playback) then add 3rd big HD for
    >>> that. But, if you do a lot of media EDITING then I'd get two big HDs and
    >>> raid 0 them instead, the thruput increase when editting/converting will
    >>> be
    >>> noticable.
    >>>
    >>> And don't fall into the trap of thinking that it's less reliable, and
    >>> that
    >>> "if I loose one drive then I loose everything" - that's true if you
    >>> don't
    >>> raid-0 too! Go for it...
    >>>

    >> I ran RAID-0 on my current set up for a while. Had to abandon it due to
    >> the controller being flaky, failed drives, etc. I did lose my data every
    >> time. But I think out of the five failures, four were disk related (damn
    >> Deathstars). It didn't hurt too much, since all my data is stored on a
    >> server anyway and I always made sure I had good backups. Regarding the
    >> HD's. Are the 10k RPM Raptors still any good? I am doing a lot of
    >> editing these days, so a couple of RAIDed fast drives would be ideal.
    >> Which drives are native SATA these days?

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Jerry Polyak wrote:

    <snip>

    There is still no SATA optical drives, right?

    Hi Jerry -

    Sure there are.

    See:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131329

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Yes, and Plextor now makes a faster model, too. The 716SA.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    "Bird Janitor" <jefn_LurkingRatInDaHood_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Jerry Polyak wrote:
    > |
    > <snip>
    > |
    > There is still no SATA optical drives, right?
    > |

    > Hi Jerry -
    >
    > Sure there are.
    >
    > See:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131329
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Bird Janitor" <jefn_LurkingRatInDaHood_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Jerry Polyak wrote:
    > |
    > <snip>
    > |
    > There is still no SATA optical drives, right?
    > |

    > Hi Jerry -
    >
    > Sure there are.
    >
    > See:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131329
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

    See, this is the kind of info I am looking for. What else you got?
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Bird Janitor" <jefn_LurkingRatInDaHood_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Jerry Polyak wrote:
    > |
    > <snip>
    > |
    > There is still no SATA optical drives, right?
    > |

    > Hi Jerry -
    >
    > Sure there are.
    >
    > See:
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131329
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

    What is the difference between the Pentium D 820 Smithfield LGA775 non BTX
    and BTX version? Anyone?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Jerry Polyak wrote:

    > Here are my requirements: Intel Chip, Decent overclock (but
    > not a necessity), SATA drives (possibly RAIDed), 1 or 2 Gb
    > of RAM. The price needs to be reasonable, so please don't
    > tell me to get the P4E chips.

    How about a Pentium M? Asus makes an adapter to run it on
    some of their boards. Anandtech and Tom's both did a review.
    And here is a link to one of those "web fora:"

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/printthread.php?t=62366

    The 730 is a 1.6 GHz chip. It's $200, but with an easy 800 MHz+
    overclock, it will show-up a lot of more expensive space heaters.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    "Fishface" <invalid@ddress.ok?> wrote in message
    > Jerry Polyak wrote:
    >
    > > Here are my requirements: Intel Chip, Decent overclock (but
    > > not a necessity), SATA drives (possibly RAIDed), 1 or 2 Gb
    > > of RAM. The price needs to be reasonable, so please don't
    > > tell me to get the P4E chips.
    >
    > How about a Pentium M? Asus makes an adapter to run it on
    > some of their boards. Anandtech and Tom's both did a review.
    > And here is a link to one of those "web fora:"
    >
    > http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/printthread.php?t=62366
    >
    > The 730 is a 1.6 GHz chip. It's $200, but with an easy 800 MHz+
    > overclock, it will show-up a lot of more expensive space heaters.

    I'd prefer to stay with Abit. Personal preference and good track record.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Jerry Polyak wrote:

    > I'd prefer to stay with Abit. Personal preference and good
    > track record.

    I wish my track record had been so good. I'm batting about .500.

    PX5 Battery drain problem
    BH6 OK
    BF6 Bad Caps
    NF7-S v.2 OK

    At least have a look-see at this article:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/index.html

    ....and at these non-overclocked Photoshop benchies.
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2382&p=5

    Or just wait a while longer for the dual-core Yonah!
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    BTX is a new system board format, supposedly to replace the ATX format. It
    requires a special case. Last time I checked, Intel was the only one to
    make BTX boards, and they only had *one*. There are some reviews on the
    hardware sites, but the consensus seems to be that BTX is an Intel orphan.
    Apparently BTX has been around for about a year, with no other motherboard
    manufacturers (to my knowledge) picking up on it. It was a few months ago
    when I did my research, so some of this may have changed. Please post back
    if you find that there's development re BTX.

    Thanks and Regards,

    Margaret

    "Jerry Polyak" <jerrypolyak@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Bird Janitor" <jefn_LurkingRatInDaHood_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> Jerry Polyak wrote:
    >> |
    >> <snip>
    >> |
    >> There is still no SATA optical drives, right?
    >> |

    >> Hi Jerry -
    >>
    >> Sure there are.
    >>
    >> See:
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827131329
    >>
    >> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    >> Jef
    >>

    > What is the difference between the Pentium D 820 Smithfield LGA775 non
    > BTX
    > and BTX version? Anyone?

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    re: Raptors.

    Yeah, they're nice. Nice and loud, nice and hot, nice and expensive, nice
    and fast.

    But w/ Hitachi SATA II 3GBPs drives costing $50 it's a no-brainer.
    Twice the capacity for 1/3 the price, w/ almost as good performance.
    With RAID 0 and a large stripe size, I doubt you'd even see a real-world
    performance difference. Especially taking advantage of ICH7R's new
    features, which the Hitachi SATA II can actually use.

    BTW, Hitachi is the old IBM Disk Drive company, they were bought and
    changed name a few years ago, and they make VERY reliable drives. Quiet
    too. So don't think they're a new, little guy w/ manufacturing issues to
    be resolved, they're rock solid.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    > Jerry Polyak wrote:
    >
    >> I'd prefer to stay with Abit. Personal preference and good
    >> track record.
    >
    > I wish my track record had been so good. I'm batting about .500.
    >
    > PX5 Battery drain problem
    > BH6 OK
    > BF6 Bad Caps
    > NF7-S v.2 OK
    >
    > At least have a look-see at this article:
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/index.html
    >
    > ...and at these non-overclocked Photoshop benchies.
    > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2382&p=5
    >
    > Or just wait a while longer for the dual-core Yonah!

    Thanks for the links. Yeah, I pretty much have a dual core in mind. That
    is why I was looking at the Pentium D 8xx chips.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Jerry Polyak wrote:
    > Thanks for the links. Yeah, I pretty much have a dual core in mind. That
    > is why I was looking at the Pentium D 8xx chips.

    <VBG>
    Havent yet done 'our' hmwk, 'eh ???

    Qed.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Margaret Wilson wrote:

    | BTX is a new system board format, supposedly to replace the ATX
    | format. It requires a special case. Last time I checked, Intel was the
    | only one to make BTX boards, and they only had *one*. There are
    | some reviews on the hardware sites, but the consensus seems to be
    | that BTX is an Intel orphan. Apparently BTX has been around for about
    | a year, with no other motherboard manufacturers (to my knowledge)
    | picking up on it. It was a few months ago when I did my research, so
    | some of this may have changed. Please post back if you find that there's
    | development re BTX.
    |
    | Thanks and Regards,
    |
    | Margaret

    Hi Margaret -

    I stumbled across the following a while back. All the boards listed seem to
    be reference designs and I haven't researched if any have made it to market
    (a quick look at Gigabyte's offering seems to indicate that their board, at
    least, has not come to market).

    The article was from Computex 2004 in Taipei.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Thanks for this info, Jeff. Good to know. :-)

    > Margaret Wilson wrote:
    > |
    > | BTX is a new system board format, supposedly to replace the ATX
    > | format. It requires a special case. Last time I checked, Intel was the
    > | only one to make BTX boards, and they only had *one*. There are
    > | some reviews on the hardware sites, but the consensus seems to be
    > | that BTX is an Intel orphan. Apparently BTX has been around for about
    > | a year, with no other motherboard manufacturers (to my knowledge)
    > | picking up on it. It was a few months ago when I did my research, so
    > | some of this may have changed. Please post back if you find that
    > there's
    > | development re BTX.
    > |
    > | Thanks and Regards,
    > |
    > | Margaret
    > |

    > Hi Margaret -
    >
    > I stumbled across the following a while back. All the boards listed seem
    > be reference designs and I haven't researched if any have made it to
    > market
    > (a quick look at Gigabyte's offering seems to indicate that their board,
    > at
    > least, has not come to market).
    >
    > The article was from Computex 2004 in Taipei.
    >
    > http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1593
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Margaret Wilson wrote:

    | Yes, and Plextor now makes a faster model, too. The 716SA.
    |
    | Regards,
    |
    | Margaret

    Hi Margaret -

    The link I posted was the first such drive I stumbled across at Newegg.

    By no means did I intend to post the latest and greatest. ;-)

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    To be fair, IIRC, PC Magazine thinks the 712SA is the better value. :-) To
    my knowledge, these are the only two SATA opticals available right now.

    > Margaret Wilson wrote:
    > |
    > | Yes, and Plextor now makes a faster model, too. The 716SA.
    > |
    > | Regards,
    > |
    > | Margaret
    > |

    > Hi Margaret -
    >
    > The link I posted was the first such drive I stumbled across at Newegg.
    >
    > By no means did I intend to post the latest and greatest. ;-)
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    Margaret Wilson wrote:

    | To be fair, IIRC, PC Magazine thinks the 712SA is the better value.
    | :-) To my knowledge, these are the only two SATA opticals available
    | right now.
    |
    | Regards,
    |
    | Margaret

    Hi Margaret -

    True. I've not seen any others available.

    Funny thing .. the black bezel model I linked yesterday has disappeared from
    Newegg's offerings (not just out of stock). They currently only list both
    beige bezel models.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    The 712SA comes in either black or beige, and Newegg has both right now.
    Maybe the black was out of stock and is just now in. The 716SA, on the
    other hand, comes as a beige drive ... but a black bezel is included in the
    package. (You can see it if you look at the pics.) I really wish more
    manufacturers would include both bezels. That way if you have to change
    your case, or move the drive to a different machine, you can still match up
    your drive....

    BTW, I've read about some compatibility issues with SATA opticals, and I
    wanted to save my SATA ports for hard drive upgrades, so I decided to stick
    with PATA when I recently upgraded from my Plextor-504A (4x). I ended up
    going with the NEC ND-3540A, which last time I looked, only came in black.
    :-( At ~$40 each, I got two, one for each machine. I was bummed that I
    couldn't get a beige drive in this model, as I have one case that's beige.
    But the black drive doesn't look half bad in my beige case. When I upgrade
    to a case with side vent, it'll be black anyway. This drive is fast and has
    made no coasters so far. Only has a 2MB buffer, but at ~$40, I'm not
    complaining. :-)

    > Margaret Wilson wrote:
    > |
    > | To be fair, IIRC, PC Magazine thinks the 712SA is the better value.
    > | :-) To my knowledge, these are the only two SATA opticals available
    > | right now.
    > |
    > | Regards,
    > |
    > | Margaret
    > |

    > Hi Margaret -
    >
    > True. I've not seen any others available.
    >
    > Funny thing .. the black bezel model I linked yesterday has disappeared
    > from
    > Newegg's offerings (not just out of stock). They currently only list both
    > beige bezel models.
    >
    > Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    > Jef

  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

    In article <I3nOe.3591$Z87.1602@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    dawg2golf@nospam.yahoo.com says...

    > Here are my requirements: Intel Chip, Decent overclock (but not a
    > necessity), SATA drives (possibly RAIDed), 1 or 2 Gb of RAM. The price
    > needs to be reasonable, so please don't tell me to get the P4E chips.

    Why Intel? I hear they now are putting DRM into their chipsets (albeit I
    am not entirely sure which ones have it as yet): "Your computer is
    belong to us!"

    I for one won't want to give anybody that much control over what I do
    with MY fsking machine.

    I've just been through the SATA hdd thing with my fellow chaps on
    nz.comp - and in the end decided to stay with IDE as a boot drive for
    the time being. I HAVE Sata on the mobo, and have used it, but as I
    said, I decided to go with IDE for root:/

    The new Seagate fluid bearing drives are unbelievably quiet b.t.w.,
    especially when mounted on rubber grommets.

    my $.02
    -Peter

Motherboards Product