format partition question

April 17, 2004 6:05:01 AM

Curious if it is possible to format 1 volume of a partitioned hard drive.
For instance I have DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 and would like to format
DRV1_VOL3. Will this format the entire drive or just the targeted volume?
Thanks,
--
Donna J.
April 17, 2004 6:05:02 AM

"DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message news:hh0gc.38936$i74.942733@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Curious if it is possible to format 1 volume of a partitioned hard drive.
> For instance I have DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 and would like to format
> DRV1_VOL3. Will this format the entire drive or just the targeted volume?
> Thanks,
> --
> Donna J.

Just the targeted drive, if that is what you select in Disk management.
April 17, 2004 6:56:44 AM

I think that I posted to the wrong group. Will try a different one.
Thanks

"DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
> Curious if it is possible to format 1 volume of a partitioned hard
drive.
> For instance I have DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 and would like to
format
> DRV1_VOL3. Will this format the entire drive or just the targeted volume?
> Thanks,
> --
> Donna J.

Related resources
April 17, 2004 7:57:24 AM

Tom,
Thanks for the reply.
So it would not effect the information that is on the same drive but a
separate volume?
I tried to find an answer online and in my help and support. I just want to
be sure that even though DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 are all on one
hard drive, that only the information on DRV1_VOL3 would be formatted.
Thanks again,
Donna J.

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

"DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
> Curious if it is possible to format 1 volume of a partitioned hard
drive.
> For instance I have DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 and would like to
format
> DRV1_VOL3. Will this format the entire drive or just the targeted volume?
> Thanks,
> --
> Donna J.

Just the targeted drive, if that is what you select in Disk management.
April 17, 2004 7:57:25 AM

Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's the source of some of
the confusion. We're confining the discussion to Windows/DOS environments
only.

- A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.
- A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.
- A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, or, 3 primary
partitions and 1 extended partition.
- An extended partition can contain zero or more volumes.
- You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes, not "drives".

So, you can safely format any volume in the extended partition, it will have
no effect on any other primary partition or extended volume.

HTH

Jim

"DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message news:EW1gc.39246$i74.955091@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Tom,
> Thanks for the reply.
> So it would not effect the information that is on the same drive but a
> separate volume?
> I tried to find an answer online and in my help and support. I just want to
> be sure that even though DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 are all on one
> hard drive, that only the information on DRV1_VOL3 would be formatted.
> Thanks again,
> Donna J.

Yes, if you lok in Disk management, you'll see that your system drive is listed as such in parentheses (saying "System"). Any other partition you have (or volume, which is simply a term given to how you formatted it) can be deleted, formatted, or ignored if you so wish. :-)
April 17, 2004 7:57:26 AM

"Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message news:Fj2gc.11320$Yf6.6259@fed1read07...
> Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's the source of some of
> the confusion. We're confining the discussion to Windows/DOS environments
> only.
>
> - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.

Wrong: A hard drive cannot have zero partitions, zero means nothing, so to say such a thing is a contradiction of terms.

> - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.

Wrong: it is Primary, Extended, Logical.

> - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, or, 3 primary
> partitions and 1 extended partition.

Wrong: If the drive is setup as a RAID, then it can be striped into many other primary partitions.

> - An extended partition can contain zero or more volumes.

Still Wrong: zero means zero as applied earlier

> - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes, not "drives".

She specified volumes of a "partitioned" hard drive, so you obviously miss some words.
April 17, 2004 9:51:26 AM

Hi Tom,
I'm sorry if I caused anyone any confusion. Just wanted to clarify your
answer. I appreciate your help with this. I'm really trying to learn all the
technical terms for the PC. Just takes a while.
I appreciate your time an patience.

news:o bSq8tDJEHA.3200@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

"DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
> Tom,
> Thanks for the reply.
> So it would not effect the information that is on the same drive but a
> separate volume?
> I tried to find an answer online and in my help and support. I just want
> be sure that even though DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 are all on one
> hard drive, that only the information on DRV1_VOL3 would be formatted.
> Thanks again,
> Donna J.

Yes, if you lok in Disk management, you'll see that your system drive is
listed as such in parentheses (saying "System"). Any other partition you
have (or volume, which is simply a term given to how you formatted it) can
be deleted, formatted, or ignored if you so wish. :-)
April 17, 2004 9:57:01 AM

Jim,
Didn't mean to cause any confusion in the newsgroup. I'm still learning
all the technical terminology and thought it best to write and ask someone
that knew for sure.

Donna J.

"Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
> Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's the source of some
of
> the confusion. We're confining the discussion to Windows/DOS environments
> only.
>
> - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.
> - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.
> - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, or, 3 primary
> partitions and 1 extended partition.
> - An extended partition can contain zero or more volumes.
> - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes, not "drives".
>
> So, you can safely format any volume in the extended partition, it will
have
> no effect on any other primary partition or extended volume.
>
> HTH
>
> Jim
>

> "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
> > Tom,
> > Thanks for the reply.
> > So it would not effect the information that is on the same drive but
> > separate volume?
> > I tried to find an answer online and in my help and support. I just want
> > be sure that even though DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 are all on
one
> > hard drive, that only the information on DRV1_VOL3 would be formatted.
> > Thanks again,
> > Donna J.
> >
> > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
> > > Curious if it is possible to format 1 volume of a partitioned hard
> > drive.
> > > For instance I have DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 and would like to
> > format
> > > DRV1_VOL3. Will this format the entire drive or just the targeted
> volume?
> > > Thanks,
> > > --
> > > Donna J.
> >
> > Just the targeted drive, if that is what you select in Disk management.

April 17, 2004 2:56:57 PM

Normally I just let something like this slide, but frankly, there are so
many errors on your part, I hardly no where to begin. Perhaps you need a
refresher course or something. It's one thing to goof here or there, but
holy cow, where to begin, where to begin.

Anyway, comments below.

Jim

"Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
> Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's the source of some
of
> the confusion. We're confining the discussion to Windows/DOS environments
> only.
>
> - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.

> Wrong: A hard drive cannot have zero partitions, zero means nothing, so to
say such a thing is a
> contradiction of terms.

Wrong - If I buy a new HD, tell us, how many partitions does it contain?
ZERO! In fact, if I run the XP installer, it asks if I want to install in
the "unpartitioned" space! Besides that unpartitioned space, please tell
use what else is there? Nothing, just a lot of empty, unpartitioned space.

If you don't believe this is the case, consider the partition table in the
MBR (Master Boot Record). The partition table points to (addresses) the
existing partitions, correct? If you examine any new HD (or any HD that's
had all its partitions deleted), the partition table contains zeroes in the
address fields of all four possible partition table entries. In fact,
that's the definition of "deleted", the partition table doesn't contain an
address to the partition. But how can this be? If there can't be zero
partitions (according to you), tell us, exactly where does the address to
that mysterious, lone partition reside?

> - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.

> Wrong: it is Primary, Extended, Logical.

There's a bit of a semantic issue here. You can define either a primary or
extended partition, those are really the only true types of partitions.
Within an extended partition, you can define volumes, or as some would call
it, "logical partitions". The term "partition" in this context can be
confusing, esp. to a newbie, so I tend to stay away from it. It's qualified
as a "logical" partition because the partition table in the MBR (master boot
record) only has entries for four partitions, and of those, they must either
be a primary or extended partitions. There are no "logical" partitions in
the partition table (if only due to physical limitations, since you can have
many, many logical partitions, or "volumes" within an extended partition).
Instead, the one and only allowed extended partition uses "sub-addressing"
from its own address stored in the partition table to address the individual
volumes (or logical partitions). *That's* why they're called logical, they
have no actual physical presence in the partition table, they are only
suballocations" (logical) with the extended partition. This is also why it
can be problematic to install an OS in the extended partition (can be done
at times, but not officially supported by MS). The DOS bootstrap examines
the partition table and looks for an "active" indicator to determine the
bootable partition. But the extended partition is simply a pointer to a
partition of other volumes (logical partitions), so having the active
indicator specified on the extended partition itself isn't very meaningful,
to which specific volume (logical partition) are you referring?

In the end, its semantics, but it's confusing to refer to extended
partitions as partitions at all (which your reply has so clearly
illustrated). I find it much more edifying to simply refer to primary and
extended partitions (since that's what appears in the partition table), then
explain that the extended partition can contain zero or more volumes (if you
prefer to use the "extended partition" terminology, be my guest, it's the
same thing as a volume). But to say that the HD can have three types of
partitions, well, you say TomAto, I say TOmatO.

This is one case where a simple clarification on your part would have been
warranted, indeed, appreciated. But given your confusion, I suppose this is
not to be expected.

> - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, or, 3 primary
> partitions and 1 extended partition.

> Wrong: If the drive is setup as a RAID, then it can be striped into many
other primary partitions.

RAID? Who in the world brought RAID into this discussion?! You're running
off the rails at this point. RAID is moot, irrelevant. So I'm not even
sure what you're getting at.

If we keep the discussion to simple, hardware-based, two HD RAID0
(striping), the two HDs are logically treated as a single HD. I can
configure that RAID0 with two new, clean (unpartitioned) HDs if I like,
indeed, it's preferred. I configure the RAID BIOS to treat the two
*physical* HDs as one *logical* HD. None of this has anything, nothing,
nada, zippo, to do with partitioning. I partition the RAID0 array *after*
creation of the array. From that point on, the definition of partitions is
EXACTLY the same a single HD, because for all intents and purposes, the
array is seen as a single HD to the BIOS and OS. As a result, the rules I
outlined above remained 100% true.

Again, I don't even know for sure what RAID has to do w/ any of this, RAID
is RAID, partitioning is partitioning. Again, you seem confused. But I
thought a lesson in RAID might be educational too. RAID has NOTHING TO DO
WITH PARTIONING, NOTHING! It's about the relationship of HDs (for hardware
RAID), not partitions.

> - An extended partition can contain zero or more volumes.

> Still Wrong: zero means zero as applied earlier

Ever use FDISK? Ever create an extended partition? After you create the
extended partition, what do you do next? You define a volume (ok, if you
prefer, logical partition) within that extended partition. In between the
time you create the extended and define your first volume (logical
partition) within it, how many volumes does the extended/logical partition
actually contain? (jeopardy theme) ZERO!

Now, does it make sense to create an extended partition and never define at
least one volume (logical partition)? Of course not, presumably its the
first thing you'll do. But it's a two step process, and technically you
don't *have* to create any volumes (logical partitions) if you don't want
to. But as sure as the sun rises in the East, had I stated that the
extended partition can contain ONE (1) or more volumes (logical partitions),
somebody else would have played "gotcha" and declared, WRONG, it can contain
zero as well. So you can't win in these forums, you get it from both sides.

> - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes, not "drives".

> She specified volumes of a "partitioned" hard drive, so you obviously
miss some words.

Yes, and since she was clearly confused about the relationship of volumes to
partitioning (such as yourself), I thought it best to explain the complete
relationship, lest she be more confused, and unconvinced by simple
declarations like "it's OK to format the volume, it won't affect other
volumes". And I'm glad I did, because clearly she isn't the only confused
one in this NG.

Have a nice day, and I sincerely mean it, HTH

Jim
April 18, 2004 2:22:37 AM

Jim
Hi, this is as specific as I can get here.
I recently installed a 2nd hard drive and was interested in finding out
about formatting. Here is the information.

Disk 0 Basic NTFS System (C:)  Primary

Disk 1 Basic NTFS Local Disk (E:)  Primary

|> DRV1_VOL2 NTFS (F:)  Logical

|> DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:)  Logical <<

Extended |> DRV1_VOL4 NTFS (H:)  Logical

|> DRV1_VOL5 NTFS ( I:)  Logical

I was wanting to know if I could format only this Logical Partition
DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:)  Logical, and not affect the other Logical Partitions on
the Extended Partition of my Primary Partition ?
Did I explain this any better?
Thanks, Donna J.

"Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
> Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's the source of some
of
> the confusion. We're confining the discussion to Windows/DOS environments
> only.
>
> - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.
> - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.
> - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, or, 3 primary
> partitions and 1 extended partition.
> - An extended partition can contain zero or more volumes.
> - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes, not "drives".
>
> So, you can safely format any volume in the extended partition, it will
have
> no effect on any other primary partition or extended volume.
>
> HTH
>
> Jim
>

> "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
> > Tom,
> > Thanks for the reply.
> > So it would not effect the information that is on the same drive but
> > separate volume?
> > I tried to find an answer online and in my help and support. I just want
> > be sure that even though DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 are all on
one
> > hard drive, that only the information on DRV1_VOL3 would be formatted.
> > Thanks again,
> > Donna J.
> >
> > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
> > > Curious if it is possible to format 1 volume of a partitioned hard
> > drive.
> > > For instance I have DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 and would like to
> > format
> > > DRV1_VOL3. Will this format the entire drive or just the targeted
> volume?
> > > Thanks,
> > > --
> > > Donna J.
> >
> > Just the targeted drive, if that is what you select in Disk management.

Anonymous
April 18, 2004 2:22:38 AM

Each partition may be formatted independently of the others.

| Jim
| Hi, this is as specific as I can get here.
| I recently installed a 2nd hard drive and was interested
in finding out
| about formatting. Here is the information.
|
| Disk 0 Basic NTFS System (C:)  Primary
|
| Disk 1 Basic NTFS Local Disk (E:)  Primary
|
| |> DRV1_VOL2 NTFS (F:)  Logical
|
| |> DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:)  Logical
<<

| Extended |> DRV1_VOL4 NTFS (H:)  Logical
|
| |> DRV1_VOL5 NTFS ( I:)  Logical
|
| I was wanting to know if I could format only this Logical
Partition
| DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:)  Logical, and not affect the other
Logical Partitions on
| the Extended Partition of my Primary Partition ?
| Did I explain this any better?
| Thanks, Donna J.
|
| "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
| > Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's
the source of some
| of
| > the confusion. We're confining the discussion to
Windows/DOS environments
| > only.
| >
| > - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.
| > - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.
| > - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary
partitions, or, 3 primary
| > partitions and 1 extended partition.
| > - An extended partition can contain zero or more
volumes.
| > - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes,
not "drives".

| > So, you can safely format any volume in the extended
partition, it will
| have
| > no effect on any other primary partition or extended
volume.

| > HTH
| >
| > Jim
| >

| > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

| > > Tom,
| > > Thanks for the reply.
| > > So it would not effect the information that is on
the same drive but
| > > separate volume?
| > > I tried to find an answer online and in my help and
support. I just want
| > > be sure that even though DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3,
DRV1_VOL4 are all on
| one
| > > hard drive, that only the information on DRV1_VOL3
would be formatted.
| > > Thanks again,
| > > Donna J.
| > >
| > > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
| > >
| > > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

partitioned hard
| > > drive.
and would like to
| > > format
| > volume?
| > >
| > > Just the targeted drive, if that is what you select in
Disk management.

April 18, 2004 2:22:38 AM

Donna,

The short answer is, you can't hurt the other volumes (logical partitions),
or even other primary partitions, soley by formatting any given volume
(logical partition). Formatting only affects the targeted partition. If
you're familar w/ DOS formatting, then I'm sure you're familar w/ the format
command itself, which specifies a driver letter, right?! It's the partition
associated w/ that drive letter that gets formatted, nothing else. That's
why you can't even format unless you *do* specify the drive letter,
otherwise, the format command doesn't know the target.

HTH

Jim

"DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
> Jim
> Hi, this is as specific as I can get here.
> I recently installed a 2nd hard drive and was interested in finding out
> about formatting. Here is the information.
>
> Disk 0 Basic NTFS System (C:)  Primary
>
> Disk 1 Basic NTFS Local Disk (E:)  Primary
>
> |> DRV1_VOL2 NTFS (F:)  Logical
>
> |> DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:)  Logical <<
>
> Extended |> DRV1_VOL4 NTFS (H:)  Logical
>
> |> DRV1_VOL5 NTFS ( I:)  Logical
>
> I was wanting to know if I could format only this Logical Partition
> DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:)  Logical, and not affect the other Logical Partitions
on
> the Extended Partition of my Primary Partition ?
> Did I explain this any better?
> Thanks, Donna J.
>
> "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
> > Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's the source of some
> of
> > the confusion. We're confining the discussion to Windows/DOS
environments
> > only.
> >
> > - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.
> > - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.
> > - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, or, 3
primary
> > partitions and 1 extended partition.
> > - An extended partition can contain zero or more volumes.
> > - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes, not "drives".
> >
> > So, you can safely format any volume in the extended partition, it will
> have
> > no effect on any other primary partition or extended volume.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
> > > Tom,
> > > Thanks for the reply.
> > > So it would not effect the information that is on the same drive
but
> > > separate volume?
> > > I tried to find an answer online and in my help and support. I just
want
> > > be sure that even though DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 are all on
> one
> > > hard drive, that only the information on DRV1_VOL3 would be formatted.
> > > Thanks again,
> > > Donna J.
> > >
> > > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
> > > drive.
> > > format
> > volume?
> > >
> > > Just the targeted drive, if that is what you select in Disk
management.

April 18, 2004 3:02:06 AM

Thanks Jim.
Donna J.

> Each partition may be formatted independently of the others.
>

> "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
> | Jim
> | Hi, this is as specific as I can get here.
> | I recently installed a 2nd hard drive and was interested
> in finding out
> | about formatting. Here is the information.
> |
> | Disk 0 Basic NTFS System (C:)  Primary
> |
> | Disk 1 Basic NTFS Local Disk (E:)  Primary

> <<
> |
> | Extended |> DRV1_VOL4 NTFS (H:)  Logical

> | I was wanting to know if I could format only this Logical
> Partition
> | DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:)  Logical, and not affect the other
> Logical Partitions on
> | the Extended Partition of my Primary Partition ?
> | Did I explain this any better?
> | Thanks, Donna J.
> |
> | "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
> | > Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's
> the source of some
> | of
> | > the confusion. We're confining the discussion to
> Windows/DOS environments
> | > only.
> | >
> | > - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.
> | > - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.
> | > - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary
> partitions, or, 3 primary
> | > partitions and 1 extended partition.
> | > - An extended partition can contain zero or more
> volumes.
> | > - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes,
> not "drives".
> | >
> | > So, you can safely format any volume in the extended
> partition, it will
> | have
> | > no effect on any other primary partition or extended
> volume.
> | >
> | > HTH
> | >
> | > Jim
> | >

> | > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

> the same drive but
> support. I just want
> DRV1_VOL4 are all on
> | one
> would be formatted.

> partitioned hard
> and would like to
> the targeted
> | > volume?

> Disk management.

Anonymous
April 18, 2004 3:02:07 AM

You're welcome. The easiest way is to use disk management,
right click My Computer, select manage, then disk
management.

But legislators see it as an obstacle to be overcome.

"DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
news:o Higc.42049$i74.1048023@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
| Thanks Jim.
| Donna J.

in message
| > Each partition may be formatted independently of the
others.

| > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

| > | Jim
| > | Hi, this is as specific as I can get here.
| > | I recently installed a 2nd hard drive and was
interested
| > in finding out
| > | about formatting. Here is the information.
| > |
| > | Disk 0 Basic NTFS System (C:)  Primary
| > |
| > | Disk 1 Basic NTFS Local Disk (E:)  Primary
| > |
Logical
| > |
Logical
| > <<
| > |
| > | Extended |> DRV1_VOL4 NTFS (H:)  Logical
| > |
Logical
| > |
| > | I was wanting to know if I could format only this
Logical
| > Partition
| > | DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:)  Logical, and not affect the other
| > Logical Partitions on
| > | the Extended Partition of my Primary Partition ?
| > | Did I explain this any better?
| > | Thanks, Donna J.
| > |
| > | "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
that's
| > the source of some
| > | of
| > Windows/DOS environments

extended.
| > partitions, or, 3 primary
| > volumes.
volumes,
| > not "drives".

| > partition, it will
| > | have
| > volume.

on
| > the same drive but
and
| > support. I just want
| > DRV1_VOL4 are all on
| > | one
| > would be formatted.

of a
| > partitioned hard
DRV1_VOL4
| > and would like to
just
| > the targeted

select in
| > Disk management.

| > |
| > |

April 18, 2004 3:03:46 AM

Jim
Thanks again to you also. I really tried to explain what I needed to know
without causing any confusion. I'm glad it's been answered now.
Have a good weekend.
Donna J.

> Donna,
>
> The short answer is, you can't hurt the other volumes (logical
partitions),
> or even other primary partitions, soley by formatting any given volume
> (logical partition). Formatting only affects the targeted partition. If
> you're familar w/ DOS formatting, then I'm sure you're familar w/ the
format
> command itself, which specifies a driver letter, right?! It's the
partition
> associated w/ that drive letter that gets formatted, nothing else. That's
> why you can't even format unless you *do* specify the drive letter,
> otherwise, the format command doesn't know the target.
>
> HTH
>
> Jim
>

> "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
> > Jim
> > Hi, this is as specific as I can get here.
> > I recently installed a 2nd hard drive and was interested in finding out
> > about formatting. Here is the information.
> >
> > Disk 0 Basic NTFS System (C:)  Primary
> >
> > Disk 1 Basic NTFS Local Disk (E:)  Primary

> > Extended |> DRV1_VOL4 NTFS (H:)  Logical

> > I was wanting to know if I could format only this Logical Partition
> > DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:)  Logical, and not affect the other Logical Partitions
> on
> > the Extended Partition of my Primary Partition ?
> > Did I explain this any better?
> > Thanks, Donna J.
> >
> > "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
> > > Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's the source of
some
> > of
> > > the confusion. We're confining the discussion to Windows/DOS
> environments
> > > only.
> > >
> > > - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.
> > > - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.
> > > - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, or, 3
> primary
> > > partitions and 1 extended partition.
> > > - An extended partition can contain zero or more volumes.
> > > - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes, not "drives".
> > >
> > > So, you can safely format any volume in the extended partition, it
will
> > have
> > > no effect on any other primary partition or extended volume.
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Jim
> > >

> > > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
> but
> want
> > one

> hard
> > > volume?

> management.

April 18, 2004 3:13:43 AM

Got it. Thanks so much Jim.

Donna J.

> You're welcome. The easiest way is to use disk management,
> right click My Computer, select manage, then disk
> management.

> But legislators see it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>

> "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
> news:o Higc.42049$i74.1048023@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> | Thanks Jim.
> | Donna J.
> |

> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > Each partition may be formatted independently of the
> others.
> | >

> | > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

> interested
> | > in finding out
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> Logical
> | > |
> Logical
> | > <<
> | > |
> | > |
> Logical
> | > |
> Logical
> | > Partition
> | > Logical Partitions on
> | > |
> that's
> | > the source of some
> | > Windows/DOS environments

> extended.
> | > partitions, or, 3 primary
> | > volumes.
> volumes,
> | > not "drives".

> | > partition, it will
> | > volume.

> on
> | > the same drive but
> and
> | > support. I just want
> | > DRV1_VOL4 are all on
> | > would be formatted.

> of a
> | > partitioned hard
> DRV1_VOL4
> | > and would like to
> just
> | > the targeted

> select in
> | > Disk management.
> | > | > >

> | > |
> | > |

Anonymous
April 18, 2004 7:13:27 AM

"Jim" <null@null.com> wrote:

>> - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions,
>> or, 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition.

I think this is a Microsoft restriction and I think a hard drive
can have more than one extended partition.
April 18, 2004 7:13:28 AM

That's why I confined my comments to Windows/DOS (re-read first reply). And
no, you cannot have more than one extended partition under Windows/DOS (
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/structPartitions-c.... ,
http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/fdisk%20guide%20to%20par... ).

>>> Jim

!