format partition question

Curious if it is possible to format 1 volume of a partitioned hard drive.
For instance I have DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 and would like to format
DRV1_VOL3. Will this format the entire drive or just the targeted volume?
Thanks,
--
Donna J.
18 answers Last reply

    "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message news:hh0gc.38936$i74.942733@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > Curious if it is possible to format 1 volume of a partitioned hard drive.
    > For instance I have DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 and would like to format
    > DRV1_VOL3. Will this format the entire drive or just the targeted volume?
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > Donna J.

    Just the targeted drive, if that is what you select in Disk management.

    I think that I posted to the wrong group. Will try a different one.
    Thanks

    "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > Curious if it is possible to format 1 volume of a partitioned hard
    drive.
    > For instance I have DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 and would like to
    format
    > DRV1_VOL3. Will this format the entire drive or just the targeted volume?
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > Donna J.

    Tom,
    Thanks for the reply.
    So it would not effect the information that is on the same drive but a
    separate volume?
    I tried to find an answer online and in my help and support. I just want to
    be sure that even though DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 are all on one
    hard drive, that only the information on DRV1_VOL3 would be formatted.
    Thanks again,
    Donna J.

    "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

    "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > Curious if it is possible to format 1 volume of a partitioned hard
    drive.
    > For instance I have DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 and would like to
    format
    > DRV1_VOL3. Will this format the entire drive or just the targeted volume?
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > Donna J.

    Just the targeted drive, if that is what you select in Disk management.

    Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's the source of some of
    the confusion. We're confining the discussion to Windows/DOS environments
    only.

    - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.
    - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.
    - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, or, 3 primary
    partitions and 1 extended partition.
    - An extended partition can contain zero or more volumes.
    - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes, not "drives".

    So, you can safely format any volume in the extended partition, it will have
    no effect on any other primary partition or extended volume.

    HTH

    Jim

    "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message news:EW1gc.39246$i74.955091@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > Tom,
    > Thanks for the reply.
    > So it would not effect the information that is on the same drive but a
    > separate volume?
    > I tried to find an answer online and in my help and support. I just want to
    > be sure that even though DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 are all on one
    > hard drive, that only the information on DRV1_VOL3 would be formatted.
    > Thanks again,
    > Donna J.

    Yes, if you lok in Disk management, you'll see that your system drive is listed as such in parentheses (saying "System"). Any other partition you have (or volume, which is simply a term given to how you formatted it) can be deleted, formatted, or ignored if you so wish. :-)

    "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message news:Fj2gc.11320$Yf6.6259@fed1read07...
    > Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's the source of some of
    > the confusion. We're confining the discussion to Windows/DOS environments
    > only.
    >
    > - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.

    Wrong: A hard drive cannot have zero partitions, zero means nothing, so to say such a thing is a contradiction of terms.

    > - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.

    Wrong: it is Primary, Extended, Logical.

    > - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, or, 3 primary
    > partitions and 1 extended partition.

    Wrong: If the drive is setup as a RAID, then it can be striped into many other primary partitions.

    > - An extended partition can contain zero or more volumes.

    Still Wrong: zero means zero as applied earlier

    > - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes, not "drives".

    She specified volumes of a "partitioned" hard drive, so you obviously miss some words.

    Hi Tom,
    I'm sorry if I caused anyone any confusion. Just wanted to clarify your
    answer. I appreciate your help with this. I'm really trying to learn all the
    technical terms for the PC. Just takes a while.
    I appreciate your time an patience.

    "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > Tom,
    > Thanks for the reply.
    > So it would not effect the information that is on the same drive but a
    > separate volume?
    > I tried to find an answer online and in my help and support. I just want
    > be sure that even though DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 are all on one
    > hard drive, that only the information on DRV1_VOL3 would be formatted.
    > Thanks again,
    > Donna J.

    Yes, if you lok in Disk management, you'll see that your system drive is
    listed as such in parentheses (saying "System"). Any other partition you
    have (or volume, which is simply a term given to how you formatted it) can
    be deleted, formatted, or ignored if you so wish. :-)

    Jim,
    Didn't mean to cause any confusion in the newsgroup. I'm still learning
    all the technical terminology and thought it best to write and ask someone
    that knew for sure.

    Donna J.

    "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
    > Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's the source of some
    of
    > the confusion. We're confining the discussion to Windows/DOS environments
    > only.
    >
    > - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.
    > - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.
    > - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, or, 3 primary
    > partitions and 1 extended partition.
    > - An extended partition can contain zero or more volumes.
    > - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes, not "drives".
    >
    > So, you can safely format any volume in the extended partition, it will
    have
    > no effect on any other primary partition or extended volume.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jim
    >

    > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > > Tom,
    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > > So it would not effect the information that is on the same drive but
    > > separate volume?
    > > I tried to find an answer online and in my help and support. I just want
    > > be sure that even though DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 are all on
    one
    > > hard drive, that only the information on DRV1_VOL3 would be formatted.
    > > Thanks again,
    > > Donna J.
    > >
    > > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > > > Curious if it is possible to format 1 volume of a partitioned hard
    > > drive.
    > > > For instance I have DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 and would like to
    > > format
    > > > DRV1_VOL3. Will this format the entire drive or just the targeted
    > volume?
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > --
    > > > Donna J.
    > >
    > > Just the targeted drive, if that is what you select in Disk management.

    Normally I just let something like this slide, but frankly, there are so
    many errors on your part, I hardly no where to begin. Perhaps you need a
    refresher course or something. It's one thing to goof here or there, but
    holy cow, where to begin, where to begin.

    Anyway, comments below.

    Jim

    "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
    > Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's the source of some
    of
    > the confusion. We're confining the discussion to Windows/DOS environments
    > only.
    >
    > - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.

    > Wrong: A hard drive cannot have zero partitions, zero means nothing, so to
    say such a thing is a
    > contradiction of terms.

    Wrong - If I buy a new HD, tell us, how many partitions does it contain?
    ZERO! In fact, if I run the XP installer, it asks if I want to install in
    the "unpartitioned" space! Besides that unpartitioned space, please tell
    use what else is there? Nothing, just a lot of empty, unpartitioned space.

    If you don't believe this is the case, consider the partition table in the
    MBR (Master Boot Record). The partition table points to (addresses) the
    existing partitions, correct? If you examine any new HD (or any HD that's
    had all its partitions deleted), the partition table contains zeroes in the
    address fields of all four possible partition table entries. In fact,
    that's the definition of "deleted", the partition table doesn't contain an
    address to the partition. But how can this be? If there can't be zero
    partitions (according to you), tell us, exactly where does the address to
    that mysterious, lone partition reside?

    > - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.

    > Wrong: it is Primary, Extended, Logical.

    There's a bit of a semantic issue here. You can define either a primary or
    extended partition, those are really the only true types of partitions.
    Within an extended partition, you can define volumes, or as some would call
    it, "logical partitions". The term "partition" in this context can be
    confusing, esp. to a newbie, so I tend to stay away from it. It's qualified
    as a "logical" partition because the partition table in the MBR (master boot
    record) only has entries for four partitions, and of those, they must either
    be a primary or extended partitions. There are no "logical" partitions in
    the partition table (if only due to physical limitations, since you can have
    many, many logical partitions, or "volumes" within an extended partition).
    Instead, the one and only allowed extended partition uses "sub-addressing"
    from its own address stored in the partition table to address the individual
    volumes (or logical partitions). *That's* why they're called logical, they
    have no actual physical presence in the partition table, they are only
    suballocations" (logical) with the extended partition. This is also why it
    can be problematic to install an OS in the extended partition (can be done
    at times, but not officially supported by MS). The DOS bootstrap examines
    the partition table and looks for an "active" indicator to determine the
    bootable partition. But the extended partition is simply a pointer to a
    partition of other volumes (logical partitions), so having the active
    indicator specified on the extended partition itself isn't very meaningful,
    to which specific volume (logical partition) are you referring?

    In the end, its semantics, but it's confusing to refer to extended
    partitions as partitions at all (which your reply has so clearly
    illustrated). I find it much more edifying to simply refer to primary and
    extended partitions (since that's what appears in the partition table), then
    explain that the extended partition can contain zero or more volumes (if you
    prefer to use the "extended partition" terminology, be my guest, it's the
    same thing as a volume). But to say that the HD can have three types of
    partitions, well, you say TomAto, I say TOmatO.

    This is one case where a simple clarification on your part would have been
    warranted, indeed, appreciated. But given your confusion, I suppose this is
    not to be expected.

    > - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, or, 3 primary
    > partitions and 1 extended partition.

    > Wrong: If the drive is setup as a RAID, then it can be striped into many
    other primary partitions.

    RAID? Who in the world brought RAID into this discussion?! You're running
    off the rails at this point. RAID is moot, irrelevant. So I'm not even
    sure what you're getting at.

    If we keep the discussion to simple, hardware-based, two HD RAID0
    (striping), the two HDs are logically treated as a single HD. I can
    configure that RAID0 with two new, clean (unpartitioned) HDs if I like,
    indeed, it's preferred. I configure the RAID BIOS to treat the two
    *physical* HDs as one *logical* HD. None of this has anything, nothing,
    nada, zippo, to do with partitioning. I partition the RAID0 array *after*
    creation of the array. From that point on, the definition of partitions is
    EXACTLY the same a single HD, because for all intents and purposes, the
    array is seen as a single HD to the BIOS and OS. As a result, the rules I
    outlined above remained 100% true.

    Again, I don't even know for sure what RAID has to do w/ any of this, RAID
    is RAID, partitioning is partitioning. Again, you seem confused. But I
    thought a lesson in RAID might be educational too. RAID has NOTHING TO DO
    WITH PARTIONING, NOTHING! It's about the relationship of HDs (for hardware
    RAID), not partitions.

    > - An extended partition can contain zero or more volumes.

    > Still Wrong: zero means zero as applied earlier

    Ever use FDISK? Ever create an extended partition? After you create the
    extended partition, what do you do next? You define a volume (ok, if you
    prefer, logical partition) within that extended partition. In between the
    time you create the extended and define your first volume (logical
    partition) within it, how many volumes does the extended/logical partition
    actually contain? (jeopardy theme) ZERO!

    Now, does it make sense to create an extended partition and never define at
    least one volume (logical partition)? Of course not, presumably its the
    first thing you'll do. But it's a two step process, and technically you
    don't *have* to create any volumes (logical partitions) if you don't want
    to. But as sure as the sun rises in the East, had I stated that the
    extended partition can contain ONE (1) or more volumes (logical partitions),
    somebody else would have played "gotcha" and declared, WRONG, it can contain
    zero as well. So you can't win in these forums, you get it from both sides.

    > - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes, not "drives".

    > She specified volumes of a "partitioned" hard drive, so you obviously
    miss some words.

    Yes, and since she was clearly confused about the relationship of volumes to
    partitioning (such as yourself), I thought it best to explain the complete
    relationship, lest she be more confused, and unconvinced by simple
    declarations like "it's OK to format the volume, it won't affect other
    volumes". And I'm glad I did, because clearly she isn't the only confused
    one in this NG.

    Have a nice day, and I sincerely mean it, HTH

    Jim

    Jim
    Hi, this is as specific as I can get here.
    I recently installed a 2nd hard drive and was interested in finding out
    about formatting. Here is the information.

    Disk 0 Basic NTFS System (C:) Primary

    Disk 1 Basic NTFS Local Disk (E:) Primary

    |> DRV1_VOL2 NTFS (F:) Logical

    |> DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:) Logical <<

    Extended |> DRV1_VOL4 NTFS (H:) Logical

    |> DRV1_VOL5 NTFS ( I:) Logical

    I was wanting to know if I could format only this Logical Partition
    DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:) Logical, and not affect the other Logical Partitions on
    the Extended Partition of my Primary Partition ?
    Did I explain this any better?
    Thanks, Donna J.

    "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
    > Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's the source of some
    of
    > the confusion. We're confining the discussion to Windows/DOS environments
    > only.
    >
    > - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.
    > - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.
    > - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, or, 3 primary
    > partitions and 1 extended partition.
    > - An extended partition can contain zero or more volumes.
    > - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes, not "drives".
    >
    > So, you can safely format any volume in the extended partition, it will
    have
    > no effect on any other primary partition or extended volume.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jim
    >

    > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > > Tom,
    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > > So it would not effect the information that is on the same drive but
    > > separate volume?
    > > I tried to find an answer online and in my help and support. I just want
    > > be sure that even though DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 are all on
    one
    > > hard drive, that only the information on DRV1_VOL3 would be formatted.
    > > Thanks again,
    > > Donna J.
    > >
    > > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > > > Curious if it is possible to format 1 volume of a partitioned hard
    > > drive.
    > > > For instance I have DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 and would like to
    > > format
    > > > DRV1_VOL3. Will this format the entire drive or just the targeted
    > volume?
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > --
    > > > Donna J.
    > >
    > > Just the targeted drive, if that is what you select in Disk management.

    Each partition may be formatted independently of the others.

    | Jim
    | Hi, this is as specific as I can get here.
    | I recently installed a 2nd hard drive and was interested
    in finding out
    | about formatting. Here is the information.
    |
    | Disk 0 Basic NTFS System (C:) Primary
    |
    | Disk 1 Basic NTFS Local Disk (E:) Primary
    |
    | |> DRV1_VOL2 NTFS (F:) Logical
    |
    | |> DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:) Logical
    <<

    | Extended |> DRV1_VOL4 NTFS (H:) Logical
    |
    | |> DRV1_VOL5 NTFS ( I:) Logical
    |
    | I was wanting to know if I could format only this Logical
    Partition
    | DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:) Logical, and not affect the other
    Logical Partitions on
    | the Extended Partition of my Primary Partition ?
    | Did I explain this any better?
    | Thanks, Donna J.
    |
    | "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
    | > Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's
    the source of some
    | of
    | > the confusion. We're confining the discussion to
    Windows/DOS environments
    | > only.
    | >
    | > - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.
    | > - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.
    | > - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary
    partitions, or, 3 primary
    | > partitions and 1 extended partition.
    | > - An extended partition can contain zero or more
    volumes.
    | > - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes,
    not "drives".

    | > So, you can safely format any volume in the extended
    partition, it will
    | have
    | > no effect on any other primary partition or extended
    volume.

    | > HTH
    | >
    | > Jim
    | >

    | > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    | > > Tom,
    | > > Thanks for the reply.
    | > > So it would not effect the information that is on
    the same drive but
    | > > separate volume?
    | > > I tried to find an answer online and in my help and
    support. I just want
    | > > be sure that even though DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3,
    DRV1_VOL4 are all on
    | one
    | > > hard drive, that only the information on DRV1_VOL3
    would be formatted.
    | > > Thanks again,
    | > > Donna J.
    | > >
    | > > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    | > >
    | > > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    | > > drive.
    | > > format
    | > volume?
    | > >
    | > > Just the targeted drive, if that is what you select in
    Disk management.

    Donna,

    The short answer is, you can't hurt the other volumes (logical partitions),
    or even other primary partitions, soley by formatting any given volume
    (logical partition). Formatting only affects the targeted partition. If
    you're familar w/ DOS formatting, then I'm sure you're familar w/ the format
    command itself, which specifies a driver letter, right?! It's the partition
    associated w/ that drive letter that gets formatted, nothing else. That's
    why you can't even format unless you *do* specify the drive letter,
    otherwise, the format command doesn't know the target.

    HTH

    Jim

    "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > Jim
    > Hi, this is as specific as I can get here.
    > I recently installed a 2nd hard drive and was interested in finding out
    > about formatting. Here is the information.
    >
    > Disk 0 Basic NTFS System (C:) Primary
    >
    > Disk 1 Basic NTFS Local Disk (E:) Primary
    >
    > |> DRV1_VOL2 NTFS (F:) Logical
    >
    > |> DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:) Logical <<
    >
    > Extended |> DRV1_VOL4 NTFS (H:) Logical
    >
    > |> DRV1_VOL5 NTFS ( I:) Logical
    >
    > I was wanting to know if I could format only this Logical Partition
    > DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:) Logical, and not affect the other Logical Partitions
    on
    > the Extended Partition of my Primary Partition ?
    > Did I explain this any better?
    > Thanks, Donna J.
    >
    > "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
    > > Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's the source of some
    > of
    > > the confusion. We're confining the discussion to Windows/DOS
    environments
    > > only.
    > >
    > > - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.
    > > - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.
    > > - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, or, 3
    primary
    > > partitions and 1 extended partition.
    > > - An extended partition can contain zero or more volumes.
    > > - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes, not "drives".
    > >
    > > So, you can safely format any volume in the extended partition, it will
    > have
    > > no effect on any other primary partition or extended volume.
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >
    > > Jim
    > >

    > > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > > > Tom,
    > > > Thanks for the reply.
    > > > So it would not effect the information that is on the same drive
    but
    > > > separate volume?
    > > > I tried to find an answer online and in my help and support. I just
    want
    > > > be sure that even though DRV1_VOL2, DRV1_VOL3, DRV1_VOL4 are all on
    > one
    > > > hard drive, that only the information on DRV1_VOL3 would be formatted.
    > > > Thanks again,
    > > > Donna J.
    > > >
    > > > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > > > drive.
    > > > format
    > > volume?
    > > >
    > > > Just the targeted drive, if that is what you select in Disk
    management.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Thanks Jim.
    Donna J.

    > Each partition may be formatted independently of the others.
    >

    > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > | Jim
    > | Hi, this is as specific as I can get here.
    > | I recently installed a 2nd hard drive and was interested
    > in finding out
    > | about formatting. Here is the information.
    > |
    > | Disk 0 Basic NTFS System (C:) Primary
    > |
    > | Disk 1 Basic NTFS Local Disk (E:) Primary

    > <<
    > |
    > | Extended |> DRV1_VOL4 NTFS (H:) Logical

    > | I was wanting to know if I could format only this Logical
    > Partition
    > | DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:) Logical, and not affect the other
    > Logical Partitions on
    > | the Extended Partition of my Primary Partition ?
    > | Did I explain this any better?
    > | Thanks, Donna J.
    > |
    > | "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
    > | > Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's
    > the source of some
    > | of
    > | > the confusion. We're confining the discussion to
    > Windows/DOS environments
    > | > only.
    > | >
    > | > - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.
    > | > - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.
    > | > - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary
    > partitions, or, 3 primary
    > | > partitions and 1 extended partition.
    > | > - An extended partition can contain zero or more
    > volumes.
    > | > - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes,
    > not "drives".
    > | >
    > | > So, you can safely format any volume in the extended
    > partition, it will
    > | have
    > | > no effect on any other primary partition or extended
    > volume.
    > | >
    > | > HTH
    > | >
    > | > Jim
    > | >

    > | > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    > the same drive but
    > support. I just want
    > DRV1_VOL4 are all on
    > | one
    > would be formatted.

    > partitioned hard
    > and would like to
    > the targeted
    > | > volume?

    > Disk management.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You're welcome. The easiest way is to use disk management,
    right click My Computer, select manage, then disk
    management.

    But legislators see it as an obstacle to be overcome.

    | Thanks Jim.
    | Donna J.

    in message
    | > Each partition may be formatted independently of the
    others.

    | > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    | > | Jim
    | > | Hi, this is as specific as I can get here.
    | > | I recently installed a 2nd hard drive and was
    interested
    | > in finding out
    | > | about formatting. Here is the information.
    | > |
    | > | Disk 0 Basic NTFS System (C:) Primary
    | > |
    | > | Disk 1 Basic NTFS Local Disk (E:) Primary
    | > |
    Logical
    | > |
    Logical
    | > <<
    | > |
    | > | Extended |> DRV1_VOL4 NTFS (H:) Logical
    | > |
    Logical
    | > |
    | > | I was wanting to know if I could format only this
    Logical
    | > Partition
    | > | DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:) Logical, and not affect the other
    | > Logical Partitions on
    | > | the Extended Partition of my Primary Partition ?
    | > | Did I explain this any better?
    | > | Thanks, Donna J.
    | > |
    | > | "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
    that's
    | > the source of some
    | > | of
    | > Windows/DOS environments

    extended.
    | > partitions, or, 3 primary
    | > volumes.
    volumes,
    | > not "drives".

    | > partition, it will
    | > | have
    | > volume.

    | > the same drive but
    | > support. I just want
    | > DRV1_VOL4 are all on
    | > | one
    | > would be formatted.

    | > partitioned hard
    DRV1_VOL4
    | > and would like to
    | > the targeted

    select in
    | > Disk management.

    | > |
    | > |

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Jim
    Thanks again to you also. I really tried to explain what I needed to know
    without causing any confusion. I'm glad it's been answered now.
    Have a good weekend.
    Donna J.

    > Donna,
    >
    > The short answer is, you can't hurt the other volumes (logical
    partitions),
    > or even other primary partitions, soley by formatting any given volume
    > (logical partition). Formatting only affects the targeted partition. If
    > you're familar w/ DOS formatting, then I'm sure you're familar w/ the
    format
    > command itself, which specifies a driver letter, right?! It's the
    partition
    > associated w/ that drive letter that gets formatted, nothing else. That's
    > why you can't even format unless you *do* specify the drive letter,
    > otherwise, the format command doesn't know the target.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jim
    >

    > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > > Jim
    > > Hi, this is as specific as I can get here.
    > > I recently installed a 2nd hard drive and was interested in finding out
    > > about formatting. Here is the information.
    > >
    > > Disk 0 Basic NTFS System (C:) Primary
    > >
    > > Disk 1 Basic NTFS Local Disk (E:) Primary

    > > Extended |> DRV1_VOL4 NTFS (H:) Logical

    > > I was wanting to know if I could format only this Logical Partition
    > > DRV1_VOL3 NTFS (G:) Logical, and not affect the other Logical Partitions
    > on
    > > the Extended Partition of my Primary Partition ?
    > > Did I explain this any better?
    > > Thanks, Donna J.
    > >
    > > "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
    > > > Let's be more precise here w/ the terminology, that's the source of
    some
    > > of
    > > > the confusion. We're confining the discussion to Windows/DOS
    > environments
    > > > only.
    > > >
    > > > - A (hard) drive has zero or more partitions.
    > > > - A partition can be of two types, primary or extended.
    > > > - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions, or, 3
    > primary
    > > > partitions and 1 extended partition.
    > > > - An extended partition can contain zero or more volumes.
    > > > - You format primary partitions, or, extended volumes, not "drives".
    > > >
    > > > So, you can safely format any volume in the extended partition, it
    will
    > > have
    > > > no effect on any other primary partition or extended volume.
    > > >
    > > > HTH
    > > >
    > > > Jim
    > > >

    > > > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > but
    > want
    > > one

    > hard
    > > > volume?

    > management.

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Got it. Thanks so much Jim.

    Donna J.

    > You're welcome. The easiest way is to use disk management,
    > right click My Computer, select manage, then disk
    > management.

    > But legislators see it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >

    > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message
    > | Thanks Jim.
    > | Donna J.
    > |

    > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    > in message
    > | > Each partition may be formatted independently of the
    > others.
    > | >

    > | > "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote in message

    > interested
    > | > in finding out
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > Logical
    > | > |
    > Logical
    > | > <<
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > Logical
    > | > |
    > Logical
    > | > Partition
    > | > Logical Partitions on
    > | > |
    > that's
    > | > the source of some
    > | > Windows/DOS environments

    > extended.
    > | > partitions, or, 3 primary
    > | > volumes.
    > volumes,
    > | > not "drives".

    > | > partition, it will
    > | > volume.

    > on
    > | > the same drive but
    > and
    > | > support. I just want
    > | > DRV1_VOL4 are all on
    > | > would be formatted.

    > of a
    > | > partitioned hard
    > DRV1_VOL4
    > | > and would like to
    > just
    > | > the targeted

    > select in
    > | > Disk management.
    > | > | > >

    > | > |
    > | > |

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote:

    >> - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions,
    >> or, 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition.

    I think this is a Microsoft restriction and I think a hard drive
    can have more than one extended partition.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    That's why I confined my comments to Windows/DOS (re-read first reply). And
    no, you cannot have more than one extended partition under Windows/DOS (
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/structPartitions-c.html ,
    http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/fdisk%20guide%20to%20partitioning.htm ).

    >>> Jim

    "Peter Rossiter" <not_me@mail.com> wrote in message
    > "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote:
    >
    > >> - A (hard) drive can have a maximum of 4 primary partitions,
    > >> or, 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition.
    >

    > I think this is a Microsoft restriction and I think a hard drive
    > can have more than one extended partition.

Hardware Partition Microsoft Format Windows XP