NF7-S ver2 Temperature accuracy???

Question on how accurate and relaible the NF7-S ver2 temperatures
really are. My NF7 is showing a cool 24C for the CPU and 22 for the
Mbd which somewhat amazes me.

The processor is a Mobile XP 2400 OC'd to a modest 2.125 Ghz. It has
a really good ThermalTake TR2-M4 HSF on it. Vcore is set to 1.6.
Mutliplier set to 12.5. FSB 170. This same processor in an Epox Mbd
was running 33 to 43 depending on load. Am using MBM5 & 8rdavcore to
monitor temps, both set to Mbd=NF7 ( the only option close to my
NF7-S).

So are these temps likely to be correct? Do I need to either change
the factor for the sensor display or add a base offset? And how do I
get an idea what the temp really is?

tia
Acc7

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

>And how do I
> get an idea what the temp really is?

Touch the base of the heatsink while it's running. 24C is about
roomtemp, 50-60C is the too hot to touch range.

rms

In article <18srg15tblnuujcnqlrn1mgffgf47aqebp@4ax.com>, acc7 says...
> Question on how accurate and relaible the NF7-S ver2 temperatures
> really are. My NF7 is showing a cool 24C for the CPU and 22 for the
> Mbd which somewhat amazes me.
>
> The processor is a Mobile XP 2400 OC'd to a modest 2.125 Ghz. It has
> a really good ThermalTake TR2-M4 HSF on it. Vcore is set to 1.6.
> Mutliplier set to 12.5. FSB 170. This same processor in an Epox Mbd
> was running 33 to 43 depending on load. Am using MBM5 & 8rdavcore to
> monitor temps, both set to Mbd=NF7 ( the only option close to my
> NF7-S).
>
> So are these temps likely to be correct? Do I need to either change
> the factor for the sensor display or add a base offset? And how do I
> get an idea what the temp really is?

No motherboard I know of gives a correct temperature. I use an external
CPU temp indicator which has a sensor that attaches to the underside of
the CPU.

--
Conor

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

Well surprising things do happen. Today when I booted this machine,
it started displaying more reasonable temps thru both programs..???...

Now I get 22c for the case temp and 35c for the CPU. Those are more
believeable. I wonder why this was not more accurate in the
beginning? This Mbd has just been put into service ~7days ago.

The heat sink is barely warm on the edges with the squirrel cage fan
running full speed. I will take off the HSF and regoop it with
Arctiuc silver again, if the temps rise more without a reason.

Thanks for your responses

Acc7

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:39:46 GMT, Acc7 <acc7@berkeley.net> wrote:

>Well surprising things do happen. Today when I booted this machine,
>it started displaying more reasonable temps thru both programs..???...
>
>Now I get 22c for the case temp and 35c for the CPU. Those are more
>believeable. I wonder why this was not more accurate in the
>beginning? This Mbd has just been put into service ~7days ago.
>
>The heat sink is barely warm on the edges with the squirrel cage fan
>running full speed. I will take off the HSF and regoop it with
>Arctiuc silver again, if the temps rise more without a reason.
>

>Thanks for your responses
>
>Acc7

Is it possible, Acc7, that your CPU H/S was not quite properly seated
and has just slipped into place?

>On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:35:18 GMT, acc7 <acc7@berkeley.net> wrote:
>
>>Question on how accurate and relaible the NF7-S ver2 temperatures
>>really are. My NF7 is showing a cool 24C for the CPU and 22 for the
>>Mbd which somewhat amazes me.
>>
>>The processor is a Mobile XP 2400 OC'd to a modest 2.125 Ghz. It has
>>a really good ThermalTake TR2-M4 HSF on it. Vcore is set to 1.6.
>>Mutliplier set to 12.5. FSB 170. This same processor in an Epox Mbd
>>was running 33 to 43 depending on load. Am using MBM5 & 8rdavcore to
>>monitor temps, both set to Mbd=NF7 ( the only option close to my
>>NF7-S).
>>
>>So are these temps likely to be correct? Do I need to either change
>>the factor for the sensor display or add a base offset? And how do I
>>get an idea what the temp really is?
>>
>>tia
>>Acc7

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

>Patrick

Actually it would be the other way around, since the initial temps
were too low and now they are reading more expected levels. I believe
the levels now more than before. On this machine, I am only doing a
lower OC than I know I can get with the chip and I am not running the
24/7 full DC background program on this machine and the TR2-M4 is a
pretty good HSF. So I was expecting the chip to be in the 32-42c
range, where it seems to be now.

I suspect that the sensor for the CPU was maybe mispositioned and now
is touching the chip, or something like that. Not sure why that can
happen. But maybe posting a question helped the Mbd to work better.
I have another NF7 that I am putting together next. So I will see if
this is a burn-in thing for NF7's.

Thanks
Acc7

You might try putting a dab of paste on the sensor too. That'll make
sensing more accurate...

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/