Is it possible to...

peonyu

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
Ok, a not so general question here about networking...I have a westell 2100 dual connect modem which has two ports on it, one of the ports is for Ethernet connection and the second port is for USB connection. Well, I have two computers and I was wondering if it would be possible to Link one of the computers up to the modem through Ethernet, and have the second link to it through USB andif that would allow basic file-sharing, and LAN games...and possibly even have two systems online at the same time. So far, when I tried it all i got was one system on the internet and the other one getting a blank page as well as errors about a missing network cable..So anyone know if this possible or have any suggestions?

*The systems are: Win 98 & Win XP PRO
*Linksys lne 100 TX for both systems, though since 1 is using USB only one of those are using a NIC
*westell 2100 dual connect modem--DSL

Found this at a Broadband forum.

"The BellSouth Version of the Wirespeed has been reconfigured (chipset removed)..the PPP client is built into the modem, changing it to a stand alone MODEM. This modem -in this configuration- is NOT a router..just a modem..BUT..it has the capability to connect to the PC by USB "OR" Eithernet..<b><font color=red>but not both at the same time</b></font color=red>..(it's a either/or connection)."
This info may help or confuse if you have probs...LoL!

"The following applies to when the Ethernet port is in use.

Modem default LAN IP is 192.168.1.254, with it's LAN DHCP and DNS servers enabled. DHCP defaults to a range of 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.64 and assigns the modem's LAN IP as the DHCP server, DNS server, and gateway to it's DHCP clients. DNS setup page is hidden, the address is »192.168.1.254/dns.htm[?] or »launchmodem/dns.htm[?]. Default DNS settings are launchmodem.com as domain suffix and a DNS entry launchmodem bound to the modem's IP.

In order for the »launchmodem[?] to work, LAN PCs must utilize the modem's DHCP server, or the user must enter a static entry for 192.168.1.254 launchmodem in the hosts file.

I highly recommend any user with an existing router, like a Linksys, to continue using it and do not use the built-in PPPoE client. IMHO, this modem's PPPoE client sole purpose is to provide basic Internet connectivity without having to use PPPoE software. Functions such as incoming ping, incoming and outgoing traceroute, port forwarding, port triggering, and the built-in services do not work. This is why NetTech says the modem is not a router. It cannot perform full routing options and abilities like a Linksys router. This special version of the WS2100 has been designed to eliminate the O/S PPPoE/oA software and provide basic ADSL connectivity.

To setup this modem for use with a router, like a Linksys, the user must change the WAN VC settings under the expert setup pages. The first entry default is PPPoE 8/35, simple change it to bridge 8/35. This will in effect turn the modem into a bridge like the Alcatel STH modem and allow users to continue to use their routers."
Seems to be confusion on the "Is it a router issue".

The westell is a router. It has a built in PPPoE client, NAT and DHCP server. The computer will pull a 192.168.1.x IP from the modem. The end user does not have to install any software if they connect ethernet. If USB is used, a simple ethernet over USB driver is used. NOTE: <b><font color=red>only one port will work at a time. If you connect the USB port, the ethernet port is disabled and vice versa.</b></font color=red>
Hmmm...the <A HREF="http://www.westell.co.uk/uk_pdfs/2100_datasheet.pdf" target="_new">PDF file</A> on this thing says it can so simultaneous USB/ethernet connection. I would believe the quotes above though, cos these guys have tried them, unless you hear otherwise. Also says it <b>is</b> a router. Go figure.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

sbolinger2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
This is answered in your post in the 'Communications, Network and Internet' forum.

:tongue: <font color=blue>My job is to polish</font color=blue> <font color=green>turds[/greem]<font color=blue>, I</font color=blue> <font color=red>love</font color=red> <font color=blue>my job.</font color=blue>