KV7 + WinXP = BlueScreen

After 6 hours I gave up trying to load XP on TigerDirect special. I upgraded
the bios and it made no difference? just keep getting blue screen once
windows tries to enter setup. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Basically I have known good CD-RW, PS, 3D-labs PCI video card and WD hard
drive w/80 pin cable. I purchased the following from Tiger

Abit KV7 Socket A motherboard

AMD Athlon XP3000+ CPU Barton Core 333FSB

Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3

Copper base fan

any advise would really be appreciated. BTW- I put a BE7 together back in
2001 and (that is still going) and that was easy compared to this...

Disregard, sent it back for an exchange on a P4 system

"Another Joe" <whatever@aol.com> wrote in message
> After 6 hours I gave up trying to load XP on TigerDirect special. I
> upgraded the bios and it made no difference? just keep getting blue screen
> once windows tries to enter setup. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
> Basically I have known good CD-RW, PS, 3D-labs PCI video card and WD hard
> drive w/80 pin cable. I purchased the following from Tiger
>

> Abit KV7 Socket A motherboard
>
> AMD Athlon XP3000+ CPU Barton Core 333FSB
>
> Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3
>
> Copper base fan
>

> any advise would really be appreciated. BTW- I put a BE7 together back in
> 2001 and (that is still going) and that was easy compared to this...

get a refund ... everything I got from them, MP3 player, keyboard,
router, , all not working., my friends and I had the same experience.

I got my computer fixed at skynet computer, if u don't want to get a
refund, try to bring to them for a fix. www.eskynet.com

it's not like it wouldn't POST, I'm sure I could not loaded Win9x but it
would not load W2K or XP....I should have did a google search first because
there were a few people who had the same issue with the KV7. Once I get my
refund back I will look at the P4 boards. I just have to do better reseach
next time..

"Bro Yip" <broyip@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> get a refund ... everything I got from them, MP3 player, keyboard,
> router, , all not working., my friends and I had the same experience.
>

> I got my computer fixed at skynet computer, if u don't want to get a
> refund, try to bring to them for a fix. www.eskynet.com

marcus

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

> it's not like it wouldn't POST, I'm sure I could not loaded Win9x but it
> would not load W2K or XP....I should have did a google search first
> because there were a few people who had the same issue with the KV7. Once
> I get my refund back I will look at the P4 boards. I just have to do
> better reseach next time..

I have the KV7 & KV7-V boards, both of which have had the XP3000 (333fsb)
installed, the BIOS level seemed to be the issue here.

The KV7 came with bios 11 and wasn't happy. So using an old Duron 1Ghz, and
a BIOS update from the ABit site (BIOS 17) I flashed the board. Now having
flashed the board was able to load an OS onto an IDE hard drive without
issue, however as soon as I used the SATA I got data corruption, or it
wouldn't install. I noted after a couple of hours fighting with it that the
floppy disc for SATA drviers were also out of date, the disc was 1.21 and
needed to be 1.33. Once both BIOS and SATA drivers were up to date, then
installation went smoothly, after tripple checking for the up-to-date
VIA4in1 drivers.

The KV7-V was a similar story but with a Sempron XP2800.

The lessons I have learnt here are,
(a) Ensure your BIOS is current release,
(b) Never assume the drivers that come on the disc(s) are good enough,
always look for the most recent,
(c) See installation stores from newsgroups before starting