Abit KW7 overheat siren comes on and shuts down.............

I just bought a Abit KW7 mobo. When the system reaches just over 40C,
the computer shuts down and the overheat siren comes on. The system
bios overheat detection has not been enabled. I can't even keep the
computer running long enough to update the bios to a newer version.

Has anyone had this problem or do I have a lemon?

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:17:42 -0500, bitstream <dryer@maytag.com>
wrote:

>I just bought a Abit KW7 mobo. When the system reaches just over 40C,
>the computer shuts down and the overheat siren comes on. The system
>bios overheat detection has not been enabled. I can't even keep the
>computer running long enough to update the bios to a newer version.
>
>Has anyone had this problem or do I have a lemon?

You can disable the CPU shutdown temperature setting in the PC Health
Status section of your BIOS, bitstream, or set it to a higher value.

However, if your CPU is getting to 40C in less time than it takes to
run a BIOS flash, I'd say it's running a bit warm anyway. Might be an
idea to look at your cooling.

Or are you running (or trying to run) the BIOS update from Windows?
That would take longer, although still not 40C worth IMHO. I've
always preferred running a BIOS flash from DOS anyway, but here it
would have the benefit (for you) of being quicker by virtue of not
having to boot into Windows.

Incidentally, avoid BIOS version 14 - a lot of people have reported
problems with that, mainly with the BIOS suddenly deciding not to
recognise the CPU. Version 15 is out now; it's been fine for me so
far.

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...