Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I currently have a computer with a usb 1.0 port. Can I use usb 2.0 devices on it or do I need some sort of converter?

Thanks, Tom

USB 1.1 and 2.0 devices both work on USB 1.1 and 2.0 ports, but the speed is
limited by the slowest component, the port or the device. If you literally
mean USB 1.0 not 1.1, then I am less sure about that.

By the way, if you attached a USB 2.0 CD-writer to a USB 1.1 port, the
maximum write speed will be about 4X.

For cameras and scanners and ZIP100&250, most pen drives, etc, USB 1.1 is
fine.

If you have a desktop, think about adding a USB 2.0 PCI card. They are
cheap, about $30, and once you have used USB 2.0 you will never want to go
back.

"Tom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I currently have a computer with a usb 1.0 port. Can I use usb 2.0 devices
on it or do I need some sort of converter?

> Thanks, Tom

The USB 2.0 device will work on a USB 1.0 port, at reduced speed. Get a USB
2.0 adapter card.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Tom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I currently have a computer with a usb 1.0 port. Can I use usb 2.0 devices
on it or do I need some sort of converter?

> Thanks, Tom

significantly slower than if you purchased a usb 2.o pci
card...£15.00 to £50.00 depending on how many ports you
want.

SCORPIO

I am adding this comment here in response to your posting
since there is relevance to the topic of USB2 PCI Cards in
Desktops. I have posted a separate entry in this Newsgroup
on 17/4/04 under the heading "USB2 Controller PCI Cards" and
it reads as follows:
"I recently bought a USB adapter which can play external
EIDE
devices, such as Hard Disks and CD/DVD ROMs. The adapter is
capable of USB2 high speeds but since my PC is not, the
external devices run at very slow speeds. So I purchased a
USB2.0 Controller PCI Card which I am trying to instal and
get to work. My O.S. is Windows XP Pro. Should I install the
drivers first and then boot up with the Card fitted into a
PCI slot, or will Windows XP automatically detect the card
and ask for the drivers? The reason I am posting this
question is that when I installed the card in the PC's spare
PCI slot, Windows would not load up. I got the BIOS sound
and then saw a few lines indicating that the hard drives
were being checked, and then I got a black screen with no
further activity. When I removed the card the PC booted up
all right. Thinking that the PCI slot was faulty I tried
another slot which I knew was working, but the same thing
happened. Hence my question whether the driver installation
should precede the hardware. Any views and also comments
from folks who have installed a USB2 Controller card would
be most welcome. Please post replies in the newsgroup"
I shall continue scanning responses here as well in the hope
of picking up some useful tips.