rocco

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2003

BH6
Antex case + P/S
Celly 1.1 on no-name Cu adapter
Win 98SE

I built this system 4-5 years ago for my son. The system worked fine
for several years. Some sort of problem cropped up a few years ago --
can't remember the details. I think the system would only open in
SafeMode.
My indolent teenager wouldn't take the type and effort to fix the
system.

This weekend he finally decided to try to fix his system. He planned to
re-install Win 98 SE and possibly install a new HDD that I bought him
1-2 years ago.

Unfortunately, he ran into the problems described below.

During boot, the screen shows that we have a HDD and floppy. Them MEM
test runs OK.

If he boots from the HDD, the system sticks at the screen that shows
that the system wants to open in SafeMode. He cannot use the keyboard
to change the Win start options or to skip the clock countdown. Nothing
further happens at this point, but the KB doesn't work.

If he boots from a Win 98 SE start floppy, he get all the way to the A
drive prompt (A:\), but nothing happens or shows up on the screen when
we type a DOS command (e.g. DIR).

He's also tried to open the BIOS by pressing "DEL", but nothing
happens.

The KB isn't working with either approach. I checked the KB's
connection. It looked good. I switched Keyboards. Neither worked.
Checked a KB on another system and it worked.

When we tried leaving the KB off while booting, an error message came
on screen showing lack of KB.

So, what's up with the KB. If we get the KB to work, we'll check the
system after it boots and then we'll install the new HDD as the Primary
Master and then install Win on it.

sounds like the keyboard connector and associated eletronics on the
motherboard has a problem.

You might try removing the battery for the bios and also reset the
bios to see if anything changes.

past that, it sounds like motherboard time.

Bob Smith
Fort Bragg, California

On 28 Aug 2005 15:21:39 -0700, "Rocco" <vvvcccxxxzzz@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>BH6
>Antex case + P/S
>Celly 1.1 on no-name Cu adapter
>Win 98SE
>
>I built this system 4-5 years ago for my son. The system worked fine
>for several years. Some sort of problem cropped up a few years ago --
>can't remember the details. I think the system would only open in
>SafeMode.
>My indolent teenager wouldn't take the type and effort to fix the
>system.
>
>This weekend he finally decided to try to fix his system. He planned to
>re-install Win 98 SE and possibly install a new HDD that I bought him
>1-2 years ago.
>
>Unfortunately, he ran into the problems described below.
>
>During boot, the screen shows that we have a HDD and floppy. Them MEM
>test runs OK.
>
>If he boots from the HDD, the system sticks at the screen that shows
>that the system wants to open in SafeMode. He cannot use the keyboard
>to change the Win start options or to skip the clock countdown. Nothing
>further happens at this point, but the KB doesn't work.
>
>If he boots from a Win 98 SE start floppy, he get all the way to the A
>drive prompt (A:\), but nothing happens or shows up on the screen when
>we type a DOS command (e.g. DIR).
>
>He's also tried to open the BIOS by pressing "DEL", but nothing
>happens.
>
>The KB isn't working with either approach. I checked the KB's
>connection. It looked good. I switched Keyboards. Neither worked.
>Checked a KB on another system and it worked.
>
>When we tried leaving the KB off while booting, an error message came
>on screen showing lack of KB.
>
>So, what's up with the KB. If we get the KB to work, we'll check the
>system after it boots and then we'll install the new HDD as the Primary
>Master and then install Win on it.

Well if you want to spend some time with it? Upgrade may be much
easier.

You could try getting a PS/2 to USB adapter (or borrow a usb keyboard)
and see if you can get a boot that way. Or, find a PS/2 to serial
port adapter and try to boot through the serial port.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

On 28 Aug 2005 15:21:39 -0700, "Rocco" <vvvcccxxxzzz@hotmail.com>
< snip >

Fishface wrote:
> I'd pull the board and see if the solder joints on
> the back of the board where the PS/2 connector
> is attached haven't gone south. With repeated
> insertion and extraction cycles, sometimes things
> can start to get pretty loose...

rocco

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2003

It sounds like the obvious -- dang obvious now that I've seen the
recommendation -- thing to do is to try a USB keyboard. That's quick
and easy.

I tend to doubt this will work, since the system recognizes there's a
KB installed. When I removed the KB and didn't attach another one, the
boot screen showed a missing KB error message. When the KB was
attached, no such message came up.

Still, the USB connection is so quick and easy, it needs to be tried.
Will try it tonight.

I'd pull the board and see if the solder joints on
the back of the board where the PS/2 connector
is attached haven't gone south. With repeated
insertion and extraction cycles, sometimes things
can start to get pretty loose...

A USB keyboard may work once you're in Windows, but most older BIOSes don't
offer DOS support for USB keyboard & mice, so BIOS updates, etc may become
difficult. I don't know the specifics of your board's BIOS, so guess we'll
have to wait and see.

Regards,

Margaret

Qed wrote:

| Interesting.
|
| I'm a bit out of date ... KG&R era ...
| serial port kbd & mouse.

Again I challenge you to be honest: you're old! Almost as old as your
keyboard and mouse and certainly older than TomG and his legendary Missus
(you know the one).

| What new mobos, and BIOSs, do support basic, boot USB kbds & mice ???

All of the recent Abit boards have BIOS support for USB keyboard and mouse.
It's not enabled by default, but can be in the Integrated Peripherals
section of the setup screens.

Makes entering the CMOS setup screens a hassle when you don't have a PS/2
keyboard handy after a BIOS flash (reason I keep the old dog around) ..
otherwise support is there.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® wrote:
> Again I challenge you to be honest: you're old! Almost as old as your
> keyboard and mouse and certainly older than TomG and his legendary Missus
> (you know the one).

:)
I'm sorry to "inform" you ...
I'm older than 'that' ,
I predate the raw material that 'forms' my kbd & mouse ... by 2^0.100
eons.

> All of the recent Abit boards have BIOS support for USB keyboard and mouse.
> It's not enabled by default, but can be in the Integrated Peripherals
> section of the setup screens.
>
> Makes entering the CMOS setup screens a hassle when you don't have a PS/2
> keyboard handy after a BIOS flash (reason I keep the old dog around) ..
> otherwise support is there.

??
Is there any way to pre_bash the BIOS, CMOS mem area , and/or the ESCD ,
st the USB kbd becomes default 'enabled' ???
( assuming one can pre_locate that mem/eeprom addy )

Thats gotta be a large 'chunk' of added BIOS code ...
whats the size of the EEPROM that holds 'it' ... ??
and ...
1) is that chunk a 'module', of the "Modular" , btw ???
2) I'd ?assume? it =just= handles the USB kbd, naught else , 'y/n' ??

Been 'following' the funny_funny^2 wrt Intel's ?dually? ...
not much else.
Dont need no more added 'wool' over my eyes.
( Ya really gotta admire Intel's Marketing . Raw Bravado. )

Most Interesting .
Many Thanks for the update . Most informative.

Qed.

rocco

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2003

I didn't try a USB KB last night -- found out that I didn't have one at
home.

I thought that I was using a USB KB at my office where it's connected
to the 1st BH6 system that I put together, but it also has a PS/2
connector.

I checked the "spare" KBs I pick up from time to time (free after
rebate) and none of them are USB.

I'll have to borrow or buy one.
I can tell you this:

Qed wrote:

| ??
| Is there any way to pre_bash the BIOS, CMOS mem area , and/or
| the ESCD , st the USB kbd becomes default 'enabled' ???
| ( assuming one can pre_locate that mem/eeprom addy )

My reverse-engineering code skills are pretty limited to fairly simple
16-bit instruction sets (it's been 25 years since I found need to convert
machine code from CP/M-86 apps so they would run under MS-DOS, for example
... I did a whole compiler once because I was too poor to afford an
alternative and the MS-DOS version was very late to market when CP/M-86 lost
the battle for supremacy .. I lit a candle at the time to the designers of
that compiler, because they did a long call to a code page for all the INTs
... and all I had to do was bash in my own code page in the debugger, which
rearranged the register settings to make the appropriate MS-DOS INT
conversion .. but I digress).

The only way I know how to 'bash' the BIOS is to edit the defaults in the
..bin file with Modbin6 prior to flashing. I've done it a couple of times so
I didn't have to dig my old PS/2 keyboard from it's hidey hole to get at the
setup screens the first time after flashing.

I wouldn't recommend doing this without a BIOS Savior, a spare chip in the
wings or a running system bearing a compatible chip, but, otherwise, it's
fairly easy to do.

There are downloads of various versions of Modbin6 at the BIOSMods website.
The one I usually use is version 1.00.38.

You cannot mod the .bin file sitting on a NTFS partition .. the program will
run from there. In a pinch I read and write to a floppy, with the program
on my hard disk (neither system has a FAT32 partition anymore).

Once the .bin file is loaded up, you drill down, menu style, into the setup
screens, and change the default values for "USB Keyboard/Mouse Support via"
from OS to BIOS.

Save the results of your mod and flash. You'll have your USB keyboard at
the POST screen active and both USB keyboard and mouse will be available
(with a proper mouse driver loaded up) at a DOS boot as well.

This, of course, assumes that you have one of them newer-fangled boards that
has the option for USB keyboard/mouse under Integrated Peripherals | OnChip
PCI Device.

| Thats gotta be a large 'chunk' of added BIOS code ...
| whats the size of the EEPROM that holds 'it' ... ??
| and ...
| 1) is that chunk a 'module', of the "Modular" , btw ???
| 2) I'd ?assume? it =just= handles the USB kbd, naught else , 'y/n' ??

My NF7-M board has a Pm49FL004T chip, which is a 4MB package.

1. I believe the entire USB code support is embedded in the main code
package, and not one of the subordinate files packaged in the .bin file.

2. USB keyboard/mouse support is provided. I've noticed that the POST will
hang after the memory test stage if I have a bootable USB device, such as my
USB external floppy, connected to the system. Interestingly, the POST will
resume after a very painful lag when my USB external HDD is connected.

There are boards with a BIOS based on the Award version 6.00 code base out
there that support a USB boot.

| Been 'following' the funny_funny^2 wrt Intel's ?dually? ...
| not much else.
| Dont need no more added 'wool' over my eyes.
| ( Ya really gotta admire Intel's Marketing . Raw Bravado. )

True. And that wool belongs not over the eyes, but between the thighs (did
I say that?).

| Most Interesting .
| Many Thanks for the update . Most informative.
|
| Qed.

Happy to pass info along.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

great idea! (the ModBin one...) I was keeping a PS2 KB lurking about in the
event I have to enter the bios after a clearing of the CMOS.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

Due to a rat in da hood,
no longer running servers on Cox...

(even though someone turned me in,
what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)

"Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®" <jefn_LurkingRatInDaHood_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message news:42kRe.921$sF6.305@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net...
> [...]
> I say that?).
>
> | Most Interesting .
> | Many Thanks for the update . Most informative.
> |
> | Qed.
>
> Happy to pass info along.
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

"Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®" <jefn_LurkingRatInDaHood_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message news:42kRe.921$sF6.305@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net...

> 2. USB keyboard/mouse support is provided. I've noticed that the POST
> will
> hang after the memory test stage if I have a bootable USB device, such as
> my
> USB external floppy, connected to the system. Interestingly, the POST
> will
> resume after a very painful lag when my USB external HDD is connected.
>
> There are boards with a BIOS based on the Award version 6.00 code base out

I have an Epox 8RDA+ and an Abit NF7-S2, both with the nForce 2 chipset. On
the 8RDA+, I have an external USB2.0 hard drive, and fortunately this system
doesn't experience the "hang" that you mention. Both BIOSes (almost
identical) support booting from USB devices, but I've not had occasion to do
it ... yet anyway.

Regards,

Margaret

On 30 Aug 2005 09:19:31 -0700, "Rocco" <vvvcccxxxzzz@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It sounds like the obvious -- dang obvious now that I've seen the
>recommendation -- thing to do is to try a USB keyboard. That's quick
>and easy.
>
>I tend to doubt this will work, since the system recognizes there's a
>KB installed. When I removed the KB and didn't attach another one, the
>boot screen showed a missing KB error message. When the KB was
>attached, no such message came up.
>
>Still, the USB connection is so quick and easy, it needs to be tried.
>Will try it tonight.
I can sell you a replacement BH6 if you do not have any other option.

Remove NoSpam to email me

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® wrote:

....snip...

even more informative_er ... a keeper. :)

Souunds like the proper solution.

Thanks yet again.
You'll outlive your bad 'rep' yet ... TomG =never=.
<VBG>

Qed.

Qed wrote:

| even more informative_er ... a keeper. :)
|
| Souunds like the proper solution.
|
| Thanks yet again.

Happy to pass the information along.

| You'll outlive your bad 'rep' yet ... TomG =never=.
| <VBG>

If only. But I gotta like Tom .. we's got a birthday a day apart and it'll
probably ¡urk! him, but we're more alike than he'll ever admit.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

{beams with pride...}

ah, such a rep that I cannot outlive!

--

"0_Qed" <nano.bot@shaysnet.com> wrote in message
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>
> even more informative_er ... a keeper. :)
>
> Souunds like the proper solution.
>
> Thanks yet again.
> You'll outlive your bad 'rep' yet ... TomG =never=.
> <VBG>
>
> Qed.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

doesn't "urk" me a bit... there's brotherhood all around! you just gotta be
willing to see it.

--

message news:q4vRe.90$ua1.65@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...

TomG wrote:
> {beams with pride...}
> ah, such a rep that I cannot outlive!

"We" have PLANs for the event .

A 2' diameter powered auger, a 15' 'down' capacity.

Proper used shroud, paper shoes, & a black marker.

Written of the 'soles' ...
" adios muchacho " .

Nice & neat,
no need to 'screw' you, head first, into the ground.
Merely dropped , head first, kerplunk.
It wount hurt a bit ... trust me.

Qed.

PS - We've a 4' diameter auger in the 'wings' ...
.. JIC of an oversized waistline.

TomG wrote:
> doesn't "urk" me a bit... there's brotherhood all around! you just gotta be
> willing to see it.

Price of Cherry Picker oil is going sky high ...
you prepared ???

Dont run "it" dry ...
scuffed cyl wals dont work all that well,
pistons 'gall' too.

The is an 'FBA' ... Friendly Bro Advisory.
'See' it here. :)

Qed.

TomG wrote:

| doesn't "urk" me a bit... there's brotherhood all around! you just gotta
be
| willing to see it.

As long as the current "Mrs. G." don't get no wind, I sees no problems.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

Qed wrote:

| PS - We've a 4' diameter auger in the 'wings' ...
| . JIC of an oversized waistline.

You done heard it wrong sweetums .. TomG's been a dietin'... he be down to a
less than 4' diameter!

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

depends on how far one goes with the "brotherhood"... the current Mrs. and
I are back doing quite well, thank you very much!

--

message news:1wQRe.361$I91.156@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> TomG wrote:
> |
> | doesn't "urk" me a bit... there's brotherhood all around! you just
> gotta
> be
> | willing to see it.
> |

> As long as the current "Mrs. G." don't get no wind, I sees no problems.
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
> Jef

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

no need for the larger auger... I've literally dropped at least 20# and am
continuing... you might even be able to use one of the bits that the phone
company uses...

as for the "drop", could you use an air powered tube launcher and sort of
give me a little assist? sort of plant me a little firm into the terra?

--

> TomG wrote:
>> {beams with pride...}
>> ah, such a rep that I cannot outlive!
>

> "We" have PLANs for the event .
>
> A 2' diameter powered auger, a 15' 'down' capacity.
>
> Proper used shroud, paper shoes, & a black marker.
>
> Written of the 'soles' ...
> " adios muchacho " .
>
> Nice & neat,
> no need to 'screw' you, head first, into the ground.
> Merely dropped , head first, kerplunk.
> It wount hurt a bit ... trust me.
>
> Qed.
>
> PS - We've a 4' diameter auger in the 'wings' ...
> . JIC of an oversized waistline.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003