usb hub not recognized

Tags:
  • USB
  • Windows XP
April 17, 2004 10:21:02 AM

I have an interesting situation. I have two xphome machines side by side. One is a p3 asus via and one is a P4 shuttle via.
I recently bought a high speed usb 2..0 pocket hub and attached it to the p4 machines onboard usb 1.x controller. The hub was not recognized and the wizard tried to install it but could not find the driver. The hub did not come with any software and when the p4 did not recognize it I went to the belkin site and downloaded a driver. When I pointed the wizard to the driver it did not find any information about my device at that location. I pointed to C:\windows\system32\drivers (where the driver for the USB Generic hub resides) still no luck. I called belkin and went over the problem and the tech rep suggested I try plugging it into the other machine. So I removed the pocket hub from the p4 and proceeded to plug it into a d-link usb hub9 (1.x) that was plugged into the usb onbard controller(1.x) on the p3 machine and walla!, it was recognize and functioning in seconds.
So , I removed the pocket hub and the d-link hub from the p3 machine and then plugged the pocket hub directly into the usb onboard controller on the p3 machine and it was recognized and worked fine. I plugged a mouse and a card reader into it as well as a digital camera. No sweat.
So now I plug the d-link 1.x hub into the p4s onboard usb (1.x) hub and it is not recognized. The hub was not recognized and the wizard tried to install it but could not find the driver. When I pointed the wizard to the driver it did not find any information about my device at that location. I pointed to C:\windows\system32\drivers (where the driver for the USB Generic hub resides) still no luck.
Odly enough the USBHUB.sys file on the P4 is dated 7/3/2003 and the same file on the p3 machine is dated 8/29/2002.
Anyway, I went out and bought a USB 2.0 PCI card and installed it in the P4 without a problem., but I still cant get it do recognize the hub.

Any insight or help would be appreciated.

More about : usb hub recognized

July 17, 2011 2:53:45 PM

Have you tried getting the USBHUB.sys file on the P4 and putting it in the P3? It might work
!