230 gig drive on Promise ATA 133/SATA card not recognized

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Greetings

I have a maxtor 230 gig IDE ATA 133 DMA 6 drive connected
to a Promise ATA 133/SATA controller on a Soyo Dragon
P4X400 mobo. The Promise card and maxtor drive were
bundled together. When I installed it, I used Norton
Ghost to transfer the old C: drive to the maxtor. In the
BIOS I set it to boot SCSI and all was well. It booted
off the Maxtor fine.

My problem is if I boot from my old C drive (via changing
the boot order in the BIOS to HDD 0 insead of SCSI), the
Maxtor is not recognized, only the drives connected to
the on board controllers show up. During the boot, the
Promise controller card still signs on and lists the
drive, but XP doesnt see it. XP says a new mass storage
controller is installed but cant find a driver for it.

Why does the maxtor run fine when its the boot drive but
not recognized when its not? I have installed the 48 bit
LBA registry patch. There were no drivers for the
controller card. What am I missing here?

Again, when the BIOS is set to boot SCSI (the maxtor on
the promise card) all is well, but when booting from HDD
0 (on board IDE controller) the Maxtor is not found, even
though the Promise card signs on and correctly lists the
drive.

Any help or insights appreciated.

dl

The Promise card, should I believe have included drivers
eg
http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=88&category=driver&os=0
If trying to boot from old hd it may be that you require to repair the win2k
installation, installing the drivers, using the F6 option.
BTW is there a reason for having 'ghosted' you now wish to revert to
origonal hd? seemingly using the sata drive as a slave?

"Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings
>
> I have a maxtor 230 gig IDE ATA 133 DMA 6 drive connected
> to a Promise ATA 133/SATA controller on a Soyo Dragon
> P4X400 mobo. The Promise card and maxtor drive were
> bundled together. When I installed it, I used Norton
> Ghost to transfer the old C: drive to the maxtor. In the
> BIOS I set it to boot SCSI and all was well. It booted
> off the Maxtor fine.
>
> My problem is if I boot from my old C drive (via changing
> the boot order in the BIOS to HDD 0 insead of SCSI), the
> Maxtor is not recognized, only the drives connected to
> the on board controllers show up. During the boot, the
> Promise controller card still signs on and lists the
> drive, but XP doesnt see it. XP says a new mass storage
> controller is installed but cant find a driver for it.
>
> Why does the maxtor run fine when its the boot drive but
> not recognized when its not? I have installed the 48 bit
> LBA registry patch. There were no drivers for the
> controller card. What am I missing here?
>
> Again, when the BIOS is set to boot SCSI (the maxtor on
> the promise card) all is well, but when booting from HDD
> 0 (on board IDE controller) the Maxtor is not found, even
> though the Promise card signs on and correctly lists the
> drive.
>
> Any help or insights appreciated.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

The 230 maxtor on the Promise card is normally my boot
drive, when I installed it I just ghosted the old boot
drive (from the on board ide controller) to the maxtor,
and told the BIOS to boot from the Promise card (SCSI).
All was well. Ive since blown the install on the Maxtor
away and wish to recover a few files off it that wernt
backed up. (I tried to reinstall XP over itself but it
wont work, it cant see the maxtor either) So I switched
the boot order back to HDD 0, and installed a fresh copy
XP to that drive so I could go in and copy off the files
from the Maxtor. Only it wont see the maxtor..

Originally I didnt need any special drivers when I
ghosted it, XP just fired up fine on the new Maxtor. Ill
check that link out.

Thanks for your input, ill let you know the results.