KT7A-RAID boot problem

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I've had my KT7A-RAID board since they first came out, and only had one
issue (STILL unresolved) with IRQ problems with my Sound Blaster Live!
Platinum 5.1.

But that is NOTHING compared with my current problem..., and THIS issue
needs to be addressed. For no apparent reason (and with no warning), during
the boot procedure (still in DOS) where it says "Dectecting IDE Drives", it
takes a longer-than-normal amount of time before my Hard Drive is listed.
Then, when it gets to "Verifying DMI Pool Data", it says "DISK BOOT FAILURE,
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". I wanted to switch to Linux, so I
restarted with the Install Disk..., and it went through all the motions,
suggesting that everything was fine. But when I booted up, I got the same
error message. I went into the BIOS, attempting to AutoDect the hard drive,
but it doesn't come up..., but on a "normal" attempt to boot up, if you wait
long enough it IS mentioned in the DOS screen.

I'm confused. Any helpful information would be appreciated.

Regards,
Rick

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

Rick wrote:
> I've had my KT7A-RAID board since they first came out, and only had one
> issue (STILL unresolved) with IRQ problems with my Sound Blaster Live!
> Platinum 5.1.

The secret of the SBLive! is that it is a selfish bastard that needs its
own interrupt. Put the card in one of the slots that doesn't share its
interupt. I have my SB card in slot 4 of my KT7A-RAID.

> But that is NOTHING compared with my current problem..., and THIS issue
> needs to be addressed. For no apparent reason (and with no warning), during
> the boot procedure (still in DOS) where it says "Dectecting IDE Drives", it
> takes a longer-than-normal amount of time before my Hard Drive is listed.
> Then, when it gets to "Verifying DMI Pool Data", it says "DISK BOOT FAILURE,
> INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". I wanted to switch to Linux, so I
> restarted with the Install Disk..., and it went through all the motions,
> suggesting that everything was fine. But when I booted up, I got the same
> error message. I went into the BIOS, attempting to AutoDect the hard drive,
> but it doesn't come up..., but on a "normal" attempt to boot up, if you wait
> long enough it IS mentioned in the DOS screen.

Sounds like it is either communication, power, or a problem disk. Since
it eventually boots up, I'd guess it is either a bad or misaligned IDE
ribbon, bad power connector, or failing power supply. You should also
look for bulging or leaking caps.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

It doesn't boot up fully. It never made it to Windows. Then, when I thought
the boot sector on the hard drive might be the problem, I put the Red Hat 9
Installation Disk into the D: drive & restarted. It booted off the CD disk &
went through all the motions of loading Linux..., but on attempting to start
up after loading Linux, the DOS screen did the exact same thing & I wound up
with the same error message ("DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND
PRESS ENTER") while still in DOS. In both cases (WinMe or Red Hat 9), I
never booted past "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER",
while still in the DOS screen.

I'll check out what you suggested, in the meanwhile. THANK YOU for your
response.

Rick