CD issues

My CD drive's been behaving strangely - when I'm trying to install
from a CD,
1)the drive whirs for almost a minute (XP just hangs during this
time), then
2)writes for a couple of seconds (the progress bar in the install
program moves a bit), and then goes back to whirring, and so on.
3) After a few cycles, I get the blue screen of death.
This happens more than half the time I try to install - it's not even
consistent with any few CDs; it's across the board.
Also, when XP's starting up, it hangs every other time while trying to
read the drive (the whirring again). I don't have any such trouble
playing audio CDs or mp3s.
I use the generic drivers recommended by the CD manufacturer, and by
XP.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about issues

    Rt click on MyComputer>select Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>Dvd/CDrom
    drives. rt click on
    your drive and choose Uninstall. Then click on IDE/ATAPI
    Controllers>Primary IDE Channel>Advanced
    Settings. Choose DMA for both options. Do the same for Secondary IDE
    Channel. Restart.
    "SP" <sprak90@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My CD drive's been behaving strangely - when I'm trying to install
    > from a CD,
    > 1)the drive whirs for almost a minute (XP just hangs during this
    > time), then
    > 2)writes for a couple of seconds (the progress bar in the install
    > program moves a bit), and then goes back to whirring, and so on.
    > 3) After a few cycles, I get the blue screen of death.
    > This happens more than half the time I try to install - it's not even
    > consistent with any few CDs; it's across the board.
    > Also, when XP's starting up, it hangs every other time while trying to
    > read the drive (the whirring again). I don't have any such trouble
    > playing audio CDs or mp3s.
    > I use the generic drivers recommended by the CD manufacturer, and by
    > XP.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    > Thanks!

    Thanks much for the help - my IDEs were both DMA. Uninstalling,
    reinstalling, switching them around, uninstalling the CD - none of it
    helps. It says it's using DMA, but it's obviously using PIO, as
    evidenced by the performance issues.
    I've looked around in this group for DMA help, and have tried a couple
    of other things also - nothing seems to work. Any other ideas?

    "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message news:<uU1tH9LJEHA.232@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > Rt click on MyComputer>select Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>Dvd/CDrom
    > drives. rt click on
    > your drive and choose Uninstall. Then click on IDE/ATAPI
    > Controllers>Primary IDE Channel>Advanced
    > Settings. Choose DMA for both options. Do the same for Secondary IDE
    > Channel. Restart.

    Never mind. I just checked my event log, and my drive's got issues,
    which seems to be causing XP to switch to PIO. Time for a new drive

    sprak90@yahoo.com (SP) wrote in message news:<9b3ceb09.0404191751.64286f79@posting.google.com>...
    > Thanks much for the help - my IDEs were both DMA. Uninstalling,
    > reinstalling, switching them around, uninstalling the CD - none of it
    > helps. It says it's using DMA, but it's obviously using PIO, as
    > evidenced by the performance issues.
    > I've looked around in this group for DMA help, and have tried a couple
    > of other things also - nothing seems to work. Any other ideas?
    >
    > "Rich Barry" <rbarry@NOTsocal.rr.com> wrote in message news:<uU1tH9LJEHA.232@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > > Rt click on MyComputer>select Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>Dvd/CDrom
    > > drives. rt click on
    > > your drive and choose Uninstall. Then click on IDE/ATAPI
    > > Controllers>Primary IDE Channel>Advanced
    > > Settings. Choose DMA for both options. Do the same for Secondary IDE
    > > Channel. Restart.

CD-Rom Windows XP