problem installing new DVD burner

i just recently purchased a new pioneer dvd burner. it was
intended to replace my other one (sony). now, i am not a
hardware savvy individual mind you. but, basically i
unhooked the IDE and power cable from the old sony drive
and inserted into the new drive. simply right? i boot my
computer and now it not only doesn't recognize the new
drive, it doesn't recognize my DVD-ROM either! nothing
shows up in device manager or explorer. what is going on
here? is this a master/slave problem?
1 answer Last reply
More about problem installing burner

    Make sure the jumper setting is set to "master" if this is the
    only optical drive installed.

    Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "ian" <idw75@hotmail.com> wrote in message:

    |i just recently purchased a new pioneer dvd burner. it was
    | intended to replace my other one (sony). now, i am not a
    | hardware savvy individual mind you. but, basically i
    | unhooked the IDE and power cable from the old sony drive
    | and inserted into the new drive. simply right? i boot my
    | computer and now it not only doesn't recognize the new
    | drive, it doesn't recognize my DVD-ROM either! nothing
    | shows up in device manager or explorer. what is going on
    | here? is this a master/slave problem?

Hardware DVD Burner Windows XP