JGM

Distinguished
May 13, 2001

Hi All,

I just installed a new 200 GB Maxtor IDE into a three year old Dell Optiplex GX150. The BIOS recognizes the HDD properly (the BIOS is up to the latest rev), but when I performed a clean install of XP pro, XP only recognized the disk as 130 GB.

Does XP have a partition size limit?
Thanks in advance for the help!

I think it only recognises up to 137Gb unless you install
the service pack. Then it should see the whole drive.

Hope this helps :)

Check your motherboard or computer manufacturer's User's Guide
and find how large a hard drive your motherboard is designed to support.

Windows XP Does Not Recognize All Available Disk Space
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316505

How to Enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

> Check your motherboard or computer manufacturer's User's Guide
> and find how large a hard drive your motherboard is designed
> to support.
>
> Windows XP Does Not Recognize All Available Disk Space
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316505
>
> How to Enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing Support for
> ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&
> Product=winxp

In addition, XP can only create partitons of a certain size (ISTR
that FAT32 partitions can only be 32 GB) but it will work with
larger FAT32 partitions.

TRENDING THREADS