Help switching Pro to Home

I brought my computer into a shop to get some viruses off, blah blah,
and they put on XP pro, I like home much better and have the disks and
so on for them, how can I put Home back on?
--
xthebleedingx
More about help switching home

    An upgrade to XP Pro is a one-way ticket with no uninstall option.
    Backup your important files and documents to a CD, then perform a
    "clean install" of XP Home:

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "xthebleedingx" <xthebleedingx.14v8qe@pcbanter.net> wrote in message:

    |I brought my computer into a shop to get some viruses off, blah blah,
    | and they put on XP pro, I like home much better and have the disks and
    | so on for them, how can I put Home back on?
    | --
    | xthebleedingx

    xthebleedingx <xthebleedingx.14v8qe@pcbanter.net> wrote:

    >I brought my computer into a shop to get some viruses off, blah blah,
    >and they put on XP pro, I like home much better and have the disks and
    >so on for them, how can I put Home back on?

    Home and Pro are absolutely identical except for certain features and
    functions which are found only in XP Pro.

    Some of the default configuration settins may be different, depending
    on exactly what type of XP Pro was installed (OEM, Retail, etc) but
    these are easily changed.

    However you do have a licensing issue and you will have serious
    difficulties if you ever need to do a "Repair Install" of your Windows
    XP.

    In order to switch back to your XP Home it will be necessary to wipe
    out the installed XP Pro completely by reformatting the hard drive and
    then installing your XP Home on the empty drive.

    I would take the computer back to the shop, with your XP Home disk and
    product key, and have them put it back onto your computer properly.
    They should not charge you for doing this as they are at fault (and
    technically guilty of software piracy) for installing a different
    version of XP onto your computer.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    ----- xthebleedingx wrote: -----

    I brought my computer into a shop to get some viruses off, blah blah,
    and they put on XP pro, I like home much better and have the disks and
    so on for them, how can I put Home back on?
    --
    xthebleedingx
    put home disk in drive and restart computer and follow the step by step directions

Windows XP