installing to a SATA hard disk

I'm building a new system for a mate, but I've run into
problems trying to install XP Pro.

When running setup, a message is displayed saying that
setup cannot find any hard drives on the system.

The system is based on an Asus A7N8X-E mobo, with a
single Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 120Gb SATA hard drive.

How can I get setup to detect the drive? There is no
section in the BIOS dealing with SATA devices, and the
manual only deals with the RAID configuration utility
that can be run after the system POSTs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Alun
2 answers Last reply
More about installing sata hard disk

    Aha! Thanks a lot. :)

    Alun

    "Alun" wrote:

    > I'm building a new system for a mate, but I've run into
    > problems trying to install XP Pro.
    >
    > When running setup, a message is displayed saying that
    > setup cannot find any hard drives on the system.
    >
    > The system is based on an Asus A7N8X-E mobo, with a
    > single Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 120Gb SATA hard drive.
    >
    > How can I get setup to detect the drive? There is no
    > section in the BIOS dealing with SATA devices, and the
    > manual only deals with the RAID configuration utility
    > that can be run after the system POSTs.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > Alun

    During my recent install with your same ASUS MB I had to dig the drivers out of the CD included with the board. Do the F6 when prompted-then insert the floppy disk. I made numberous attempts at copying the proper file from the CD to the floppy-finally got the right one.
    On my install the reference to SATA RAID 0 drivers actually read as a SCSI driver install in the BIOS boot disc reference. I am in the process of (albeit slowly) moving files from my 2 IDE drives to my RAID 0 configuration-I am able to boot to either drive set by changing the boot drive reference in the BIOS. Good luck-I know this can be a hassle.

SATA Hard Drives Windows XP