I love HL2 too much!

Anyone here getting this feeling?

It feels as if you're in a film! Also feels like you're in the real world with
the most *realistic physics* I've ever experienced** in a game!

At the moment I just got past the bit where I shot down the flying battle ship
near the beach with the 'UT-avril-like' weapon. I decided to stop because I keep
getting the feeling I might finsih this game in 4 days (3rd day today)!

"TripleEight" <888@msn.com> wrote in message
> Anyone here getting this feeling?
>
> It feels as if you're in a film! Also feels like you're in the real world with
> the most *realistic physics* I've ever experienced** in a game!
>
> At the moment I just got past the bit where I shot down the flying battle ship
> near the beach with the 'UT-avril-like' weapon. I decided to stop because I
> keep
> getting the feeling I might finsih this game in 4 days (3rd day today)!

You are not near the end quite yet. But it is a spectacular game if played on a
decent system with a true DX9 graphics card. All the people I know who say it's
not as good as they thought are trying to play it on a DX7 or 8 card and not
seeing what the rest of us do.

I like toys and cake wrote:
> "TripleEight" <888@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone here getting this feeling?
>>
>> It feels as if you're in a film! Also feels like you're in the real
>> world with the most *realistic physics* I've ever experienced** in a
>> game!
>>
>> At the moment I just got past the bit where I shot down the flying
>> battle ship near the beach with the 'UT-avril-like' weapon. I
>> decided to stop because I keep
>> getting the feeling I might finsih this game in 4 days (3rd day
>> today)!
>>

> You are not near the end quite yet. But it is a spectacular game if
> played on a decent system with a true DX9 graphics card. All the
> people I know who say it's not as good as they thought are trying to
> play it on a DX7 or 8 card and not seeing what the rest of us do.

Agree - many threads ago I said it was fine on my MX440 - It was, OK frame
rate, good gameplay etc. Then I got a 9800Pro and could barely believe it
was the same game.
Now my son sees all the frilly bits on my PC and basically HL1 on his so now
I'm up for a DX9 card for him for Christmas :) It won't be a 9800 though,
maybe a 9550 or 9600 with 256MB.

--
damien clan .
@ mcbain com

there's no place like 127.0.0.1

Uzi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

Damien McBain <ask@me.for.it> wrote in message
> Agree - many threads ago I said it was fine on my MX440 - It was, OK frame
> rate, good gameplay etc. Then I got a 9800Pro and could barely believe it
> was the same game.
> Now my son sees all the frilly bits on my PC and basically HL1 on his so
now
> I'm up for a DX9 card for him for Christmas :) It won't be a 9800 though,
> maybe a 9550 or 9600 with 256MB.

9800pro seems to be nearly entry level nowadays...don't settle for anything
less!
Also I wish there was a company who could take 2 9800pro chips and interlace
them like the old voodoo2 cards ...that would give awesome power at less
than the price of the latest cards.

"Uzi" <rapandrandb@suks.com> wrote in message

> Damien McBain <ask@me.for.it> wrote in message
>> Agree - many threads ago I said it was fine on my MX440 - It was, OK
>> frame
>> rate, good gameplay etc. Then I got a 9800Pro and could barely believe it
>> was the same game.
>> Now my son sees all the frilly bits on my PC and basically HL1 on his so
> now
>> I'm up for a DX9 card for him for Christmas :) It won't be a 9800 though,
>> maybe a 9550 or 9600 with 256MB.
>>

> 9800pro seems to be nearly entry level nowadays...don't settle for
> anything
> less!

I've got a 9600pro 256MB and HL2 runs really well. No stuttering; I don't
use Anisotrpic thingy, but I play at 1024x768, 2xAA and everything else up
high.

"I like toys and cake" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

| "TripleEight" <888@msn.com> wrote in message
| > Anyone here getting this feeling?
| >
| > It feels as if you're in a film! Also feels like you're in the real world
with
| > the most *realistic physics* I've ever experienced** in a game!
| >
| > At the moment I just got past the bit where I shot down the flying battle
ship
| > near the beach with the 'UT-avril-like' weapon. I decided to stop because I
| > keep
| > getting the feeling I might finsih this game in 4 days (3rd day today)!
| >

| You are not near the end quite yet. But it is a spectacular game if played on
| decent system with a true DX9 graphics card. All the people I know who say
it's
| not as good as they thought are trying to play it on a DX7 or 8 card and not
| seeing what the rest of us do.

I play at 1280x1024@ high settings. No lag and high frame rates and good EAX
sound! I have a Radeon 9800 Pro btw.

Now I'm at the bit where I have to set up the turrets to protect myself in the
jail bit...damn hard! Get killed over 10 times already!

> I play at 1280x1024@ high settings. No lag and high frame rates and good EAX
> sound! I have a Radeon 9800 Pro btw.
>
> Now I'm at the bit where I have to set up the turrets to protect myself in the
> jail bit...damn hard! Get killed over 10 times already!

The key is where you place the turrets

Run Into the little store room at the end of the hall with the turrets,
then blast away at the enemy as they line up to get into the door

> "TripleEight" <888@msn.com> wrote in message
>>

>> I play at 1280x1024@ high settings. No lag and high frame rates and good
>> EAX
>> sound! I have a Radeon 9800 Pro btw.
>>
>> Now I'm at the bit where I have to set up the turrets to protect myself
>> in the
>> jail bit...damn hard! Get killed over 10 times already!
>
> The key is where you place the turrets

"I like toys and cake" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

| "TripleEight" <888@msn.com> wrote in message
| >

| > I play at 1280x1024@ high settings. No lag and high frame rates and good EAX
| > sound! I have a Radeon 9800 Pro btw.
| >
| > Now I'm at the bit where I have to set up the turrets to protect myself in
the
| > jail bit...damn hard! Get killed over 10 times already!
|
| The key is where you place the turrets

But they knock them over...anyway I passed it. The key thing to do is to pick
those turrets up and face them in the right way! Also I was naive to think that
I could just hide and let the turrets do all the work ;)

> "I like toys and cake" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> |
> | "TripleEight" <888@msn.com> wrote in message
> | >

> | > I play at 1280x1024@ high settings. No lag and high frame rates and
> good EAX
> | > sound! I have a Radeon 9800 Pro btw.
> | >
> | > Now I'm at the bit where I have to set up the turrets to protect
> myself in
> the
> | > jail bit...damn hard! Get killed over 10 times already!
> |
> | The key is where you place the turrets
> |

> But they knock them over...anyway I passed it. The key thing to do is to
> pick
> those turrets up and face them in the right way! Also I was naive to think
> that
> I could just hide and let the turrets do all the work ;)

Another trick: Pile debris in front of one or more of the points of entry
for the Combine troopers in the fight where they enter from several
doorways. Pile up enough and they can't get the door open. This means you
face fewer massed troops in the firefights and can then pistol snipe the
ones stuck behind the wire-mesh door after the main fight is over.