switching hard drives w/xp home between two computers

I have been given a computer with a newer cpu w/XP home installed. Instead of reinstalling all of my programs and updates, can I simply switch my own new C hard drive w/XP home with installed and updated programs with the hard drive w/XP home in the newer computer? Will this work?

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

Mary
mleek@arkwest.com
2 answers Last reply
More about switching hard drives home computers

    Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Mary Fowler Leek" <mleek@arkwest.com> wrote in message:

    I have been given a computer with a newer cpu w/XP home installed. Instead of reinstalling all of my programs
    and updates, can I simply switch my own new C hard drive w/XP home with installed and updated programs with
    the hard drive w/XP home in the newer computer? Will this work?

    Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

    Mary
    mleek@arkwest.com

    Greetings --

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM licenses are not
    transferable to a new motherboard), unless your motherboard is
    virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS
    version, etc.) to the one on which the other WinXP installation was
    originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    important data before starting.

    This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
    Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
    days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "Mary Fowler Leek" <mleek@arkwest.com> wrote in message
    I have been given a computer with a newer cpu w/XP home installed.
    Instead of reinstalling all of my programs and updates, can I simply
    switch my own new C hard drive w/XP home with installed and updated
    programs with the hard drive w/XP home in the newer computer? Will
    this work?

    Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

    Mary
    mleek@arkwest.com

Computers Hard Drives Windows XP