Copy to CD

I burned (copied) some photos all in .jpg format to a CD-R
using the XP recording program. On my compter they come up
fine and are all listed in Explorer. I gave the disk to a
friend who has a Dell and nothing comes up or is listed in
Explorer. Is there some option somewhere to "make the disk
compatible", did I do something wrong, or does something
need to be set on his computer? Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about copy

    /Dick/ said:

    > I burned (copied) some photos all in .jpg format to a CD-R
    > using the XP recording program. On my compter they come up
    > fine and are all listed in Explorer. I gave the disk to a
    > friend who has a Dell and nothing comes up or is listed in
    > Explorer. Is there some option somewhere to "make the disk
    > compatible", did I do something wrong, or does something
    > need to be set on his computer? Thanks.

    No need to multi-post; it fragments the thread. If you must post to more
    than one group, please cross-post - ONE post to several groups at the same
    time. One answer to your earlier query in MS GENERAL was...

    It should work. Try it on a third PC, if possible. May help pin down
    which CD deck has a problem.

    Another answer cited the media itself. Try the media that your friend uses.

    --
    For most XP answers and tweaks...
    http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

    Did you write the CD in Joliet or UDF format? The first is a fairly
    standard format that is readbale by most PCs (and even MACs). The second,
    also known as packet writing, and is not as universally readable. If you
    just copied the files to the CD using windows explorer, that was probably
    packet writing. If you had to go through a step that collected the files in
    list, made a directory for the CD, then wrote everything at once, that was
    probably Joliet.

    If you suspect that you used packet writing, ask your friend to download a
    UDF reader and install it. I recall that Adaptec/Roxio was offering one for
    free.

    Addionally, a CD-R can be left open for further writing or it can be
    finalized. If it is left open, it can not be read on a plain CD reader,
    only on a CD writer. If finalized, it should be readbale on any CD or DVD
    device conneced to a PC.

    Finally, if the econd PC is very old, its CD reader may not be capable of
    reading modern CD-Rs. By very old I mean pre-1998, originally had win95 or
    lower installed on it.
    "Dick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I burned (copied) some photos all in .jpg format to a CD-R
    > using the XP recording program. On my compter they come up
    > fine and are all listed in Explorer. I gave the disk to a
    > friend who has a Dell and nothing comes up or is listed in
    > Explorer. Is there some option somewhere to "make the disk
    > compatible", did I do something wrong, or does something
    > need to be set on his computer? Thanks.

CD-Rom Explorer Windows XP