Boot hard drive from the CD?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

I have got XP installed on my hard drive.

Theoretically, is it possible to boot my PC to start with the XP CD
and then to select some option on the CD to boot XP on my hard
drive?
12 answers Last reply
More about boot hard drive
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    "Rachel M" <rachel_m@nicks.com> wrote in message
    > I have got XP installed on my hard drive.
    >
    > Theoretically, is it possible to boot my PC to start with the XP CD
    > and then to select some option on the CD to boot XP on my hard
    > drive?

    Yes..ish, that is you can certainly boot from CD, and you can also do repair
    installations that would fix some XP problems on disk, and boot from there.
    What are you trying to accomplish?

    --
    Tumbleweed

    Remove my socks for email address
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    Trying to mess up her computer??? :>

    Alan

    > Yes..ish, that is you can certainly boot from CD, and you can also do
    repair
    > installations that would fix some XP problems on disk, and boot from
    there.
    > What are you trying to accomplish?
    >
    > --
    > Tumbleweed
    >
    > Remove my socks for email address

    You can choose to boot from a cd drive in your advanced
    bios settings - look for "boot sequence"
    move your main cd drive to primary and either move your hd
    to secondary or disable it altogether...
    however - if this is for security purposes it would be
    easier to just enable a bootup password in the bios - look
    in security section of bios..

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    There is a way you can get into the basic computer settings after you turn
    on the computer and before Windows starts. It varies from computer to
    computer. Usually you press one of the function keys before Windows gets a
    chance to start. Once you get into the settings, you can change the order in
    which the computer looks for the system, and you can tell it to look first
    on the CD. If you are not familiar with this kind of thing, I would suggest
    you get some help, as you can mess things up by playing with these settings.

    Wally

    "Rachel M" <rachel_m@nicks.com> wrote in message
    > I have got XP installed on my hard drive.
    >
    > Theoretically, is it possible to boot my PC to start with the XP CD
    > and then to select some option on the CD to boot XP on my hard
    > drive?
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    Sure. Change your BIOS to boot first from the CD. Put in your XP CD and
    boot. It will boot from the CD. Then to boot from your hard drive take
    the XP CD out and reboot.

    --

    B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
    -

    "Rachel M" <rachel_m@nicks.com> wrote in message
    > I have got XP installed on my hard drive.
    >
    > Theoretically, is it possible to boot my PC to start with the XP CD
    > and then to select some option on the CD to boot XP on my hard
    > drive?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    "Tumbleweed" <tumbleweednews@mysockshotmail.com> wrote:

    > "Rachel M" <rachel_m@nicks.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have got XP installed on my hard drive.
    >>
    >> Theoretically, is it possible to boot my PC to start with the
    >> XP CD and then to select some option on the CD to boot XP on
    >> my hard drive?
    >
    > Yes..ish, that is you can certainly boot from CD, and you can
    > also do repair installations that would fix some XP problems
    > on disk, and boot from there. What are you trying to
    > accomplish?

    I don't think I made my question clear.

    I want to know if I can boot to my XP CD (of course the PC has to
    look at the CD drive first) and then for the XP CD to allow me to
    boot my XP which is installed on the hard drive?
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    > "Tumbleweed" <tumbleweednews@mysockshotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > "Rachel M" <rachel_m@nicks.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> I have got XP installed on my hard drive.
    > >>
    > >> Theoretically, is it possible to boot my PC to start with the
    > >> XP CD and then to select some option on the CD to boot XP on
    > >> my hard drive?
    > >
    > > Yes..ish, that is you can certainly boot from CD, and you can
    > > also do repair installations that would fix some XP problems
    > > on disk, and boot from there. What are you trying to
    > > accomplish?
    >

    > I don't think I made my question clear.
    >
    > I want to know if I can boot to my XP CD (of course the PC has to
    > look at the CD drive first) and then for the XP CD to allow me to
    > boot my XP which is installed on the hard drive?

    Just curious, why do you want to do this?
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    The XP cd will attempt to reload XP onto your system.. there is no facility
    to boot from the HD other than to cancel cd operation and let the pc boot
    from the HD.. quite why you would want to extend bootup time by going
    through the cd is anybody's guess.. most want their computer to boot
    faster..

    "Rachel M" <rachel_m@nicks.com> wrote in message
    > "Tumbleweed" <tumbleweednews@mysockshotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > "Rachel M" <rachel_m@nicks.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> I have got XP installed on my hard drive.
    > >>
    > >> Theoretically, is it possible to boot my PC to start with the
    > >> XP CD and then to select some option on the CD to boot XP on
    > >> my hard drive?
    > >
    > > Yes..ish, that is you can certainly boot from CD, and you can
    > > also do repair installations that would fix some XP problems
    > > on disk, and boot from there. What are you trying to
    > > accomplish?
    >

    > I don't think I made my question clear.
    >
    > I want to know if I can boot to my XP CD (of course the PC has to
    > look at the CD drive first) and then for the XP CD to allow me to
    > boot my XP which is installed on the hard drive?

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    ||| Theoretically, is it possible to boot my PC to start with the XP CD
    ||| and then to select some option on the CD to boot XP on my hard
    ||| drive?

    yr right this isnt a clear question......

    you want to boot from an xp cd then from whateva that gives you ,, you want
    to use that to boot from yr installtion of xp allready on yr hard drive?

    id like to buy a mountain and drill into it to see if the rock is dense or
    soft like furry butter......

    assuming i find a river running under the said mountain will it be wet water
    or the wrong type of water?

    and will there be any fish living in said water?

    do you swallow too?

    regards a bemused slayer

    --
    if the following image offends then dont look at it...

    /' /)
    ,/_ /
    / /
    /'_'/' '/'_'7,
    /'/ / / /" \
    ('( ' ' _~/
    \ '\
    '\' \ \ \ _7
    \ (
    \ \.

    slayer in da house annoying the people

    ERROR 404 SIG NOT FOUND . END OF INSTRUCTION , PROGRAM FAILED TO
    INITIALIZE. KILL ALL ENEMIES OF THE UK AND COALITION FORCES NOW !!!

    SOME PEOPLE ENJOY SIPPING FROM THE FOUNTAIN OF KNOWLEDGE...........

    PERSONALLY ,,,, i like to take huge gulps..........

    remove my shorts to email me direct....

    http://www.rselby.com/tips.htm windowx xp tips

    regards slayer

    phlem1@myshortsbtinertnet.com
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    It should already be booting from the hard drive......

    "Rachel M" <rachel_m@nicks.com> wrote in message
    > I have got XP installed on my hard drive.
    >
    > Theoretically, is it possible to boot my PC to start with the XP CD
    > and then to select some option on the CD to boot XP on my hard
    > drive?
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    yes, you can go to the BIOS and change the order of your boot up devices (i.e.
    the floppy drive, Hard Drive, CD or in some cases a ZIP drive.

    If you need to use the CD drive to boot, change the order to 1) CD-ROM 2) FLOPPY
    3) HDD. or similar.

    then it will search each in order until it finds a disk with system-bootable
    files.

    put the xp cd in the drive and restart and it will boot and launch the utilities
    on the disk.
    "Rachel M" <rachel_m@nicks.com> wrote in message
    > I have got XP installed on my hard drive.
    >
    > Theoretically, is it possible to boot my PC to start with the XP CD
    > and then to select some option on the CD to boot XP on my hard
    > drive?
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

    Tumbleweed wrote:
    > "Rachel M" <rachel_m@nicks.com> wrote in message
    >> I have got XP installed on my hard drive.
    >>
    >> Theoretically, is it possible to boot my PC to start with the XP CD
    >> and then to select some option on the CD to boot XP on my hard
    >> drive?
    >
    > Yes..ish, that is you can certainly boot from CD, and you can also do
    > repair installations that would fix some XP problems on disk, and
    > boot from there.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

    --
    http://kadaitcha.cx
    Windows XP Problem and Troubleshooting Resources

Windows XP Boot Microsoft Hard Drives CD-Rom