ABIT KT7 - USR Sportster not recognized in ISA Slot

Mates,

This is a weird problem. I have an old ISA Sportster 33.6 modem in my
KT7 that for some reason refuses to be recognized. The modem is jumpered for
com2 irq3; the on-board com2 has been disabled in the bios, and the bios
modem irq is set to irq3. For some reason, the system will not recognize the
modem. The bios knows it is there, because if I don't disable the onboard
com2, the bios complains about conflicting 2F8 addresses. But I can't talk
to the modem at all. Not through minicom, etc..

Any Ideas??

David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
(936) 715-9333
(936) 715-9339 fax
www.rankinlawfirm.com
--

mort

dr wrote:
> Mates,
>
> This is a weird problem. I have an old ISA Sportster 33.6 modem in my
> KT7 that for some reason refuses to be recognized. The modem is jumpered for
> com2 irq3; the on-board com2 has been disabled in the bios, and the bios
> modem irq is set to irq3. For some reason, the system will not recognize the
> modem. The bios knows it is there, because if I don't disable the onboard
> com2, the bios complains about conflicting 2F8 addresses. But I can't talk
> to the modem at all. Not through minicom, etc..
>
> Any Ideas??

Hmmmm . . .

(1) The 15 year old modem is malfunctioning.
(2) Misaligned installation, too much dust in the ISA slot, or dirty
contacts on the card.
(3) You need to manually set the ESCD and DMA (page 3-40 of the manual).
(4) An IRQ has been set to the same one as the ISA bus.

Good luck,

Mort

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:27:22 -0500, dr wrote:

> This is a weird problem. I have an old ISA Sportster 33.6 modem in my
> KT7 that for some reason refuses to be recognized. The modem is jumpered for
> com2 irq3; the on-board com2 has been disabled in the bios, and the bios
> modem irq is set to irq3. For some reason, the system will not recognize the
> modem. The bios knows it is there, because if I don't disable the onboard
> com2, the bios complains about conflicting 2F8 addresses. But I can't talk
> to the modem at all. Not through minicom, etc..

In addition to disabling Com2, go into bios and set the IRQ resources for
IRQ3 to legacy. That should fix it.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:27:22 -0500, dr wrote:
>
>> This is a weird problem. I have an old ISA Sportster 33.6 modem in my
>> KT7 that for some reason refuses to be recognized. The modem is jumpered
>> for
>> com2 irq3; the on-board com2 has been disabled in the bios, and the bios
>> modem irq is set to irq3. For some reason, the system will not recognize
>> the
>> modem. The bios knows it is there, because if I don't disable the onboard
>> com2, the bios complains about conflicting 2F8 addresses. But I can't
>> talk
>> to the modem at all. Not through minicom, etc..
>>
> In addition to disabling Com2, go into bios and set the IRQ resources for
> IRQ3 to legacy. That should fix it.

Ah Hah!, That sounds promising. I'll check when I get home and report
back..........

David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
(936) 715-9333
(936) 715-9339 fax
www.rankinlawfirm.com

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:27:22 -0500, dr wrote:
>
>> This is a weird problem. I have an old ISA Sportster 33.6 modem in my
>> KT7 that for some reason refuses to be recognized. The modem is jumpered
>> for
>> com2 irq3; the on-board com2 has been disabled in the bios, and the bios
>> modem irq is set to irq3. For some reason, the system will not recognize
>> the
>> modem. The bios knows it is there, because if I don't disable the onboard
>> com2, the bios complains about conflicting 2F8 addresses. But I can't
>> talk
>> to the modem at all. Not through minicom, etc..
>>
> In addition to disabling Com2, go into bios and set the IRQ resources for
> IRQ3 to legacy. That should fix it.

WOOHOO! Wes, that was the magic needle in the haystack. After sitting in the
box for 4 years not working (never really needed it before) that SOB is
working like a champ! The IRQ3 to legacy was the ticket! Now if I can just
get all that dust out of the phone line plug-ins.................

David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
(936) 715-9333
(936) 715-9339 fax
www.rankinlawfirm.com

You could also set the modem for PNP, at least the few old ISA usr
sportster modems i've played with worked well that way.

I was having a problem with them being recognized by Windows XP,
, so I pulled all the jumpers on both the IRQ and COM pings and let
windows xp sort it out, it did and they played fine,,

This is a trick that USR came out with when Win95 went PNP.

Bob Smith
Robert Smith Consutling