jimmyt

I just bought a brand new dell computer with windows xp installed. My old computer too has windows xp installed, plus tons of other files. I want to put the old hard drive in the new computer, but not have to delete windows xp off of the new hard drive. Any suggestions on how i should go about this?

"jimmyt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just bought a brand new dell computer with windows xp installed. My old
computer too has windows xp installed, plus tons of other files. I want to
put the old hard drive in the new computer, but not have to delete windows
xp off of the new hard drive. Any suggestions on how i should go about this?

=============================

Install the old disk as a slave disk. You will see all your old files on
drive D:.

jimmyt

I read that I have to go through with some Window Re Install or something, is this true? Or do I just do what you have said?

> I read that I have to go through with some Window Re Install or something,
is this true? Or do I just do what you have said?

=========================

You wrote in your first post that your new machine comes with its own
version of WinXP. Installing a slave disk will have no effect on this
version - it will continue to run exactly as before.

> They are oem though, does this make any difference?

To me there are two versions of WinXP Professional:
- Those that work
- Those that don't work.

I prefer the former.

> So is that a no?

If your new installation of WinXP works, use it!