Constant beeping on 1C7-G

I may go five or so restarts where there is no beeping. This morning it's
the constant beeping (every 1 second). Yesterday, the intervals were some
42 seconds. When the beeping happens I turn the audio volume to zero.
Naturally, during those sessions I've lost any features that require audio.

Other than the beeping I know of no problems while running any application -
Word, Excel, AutoCad, Paint Shop Pro, ZtreeWin, TextPad, Internet Explorer.
Each time I launch Winbond Hardware Doctor 2.73 I see no warnings -- all the
temperatures, etc., seem to be within bounds.

This has been going on for some six months.

I'm up to date with my McAfee virus protection and have recently done a
complete virus scan.

I'm up to date with Windows 2000 Pro, using their latest service pack. I
run on a homebrewed system based around an Abit 1C7-G motherboard for the
past 16 months.

One suspicion that I hope I've ruled out is my SpyderPro2 monitor calibrator
from the Pantone Colorvision folks. My problem began shortly after I
installed their software/hardware. After a default period, two weeks, you
get a nag screen suggesting that your monitor requires calibration. An
email response from those people told me how to turn off that nag screen. I
'm not convinced that the beeping is not coming from, say, their startup
program.

Len Miller

--
To email reply, eradicate all threes in my SPAM guarded address.

Fatfreek <miller3lr@oecc3wildblue3.com> wrote:

> I may go five or so restarts where there is no beeping. This morning it's
> the constant beeping (every 1 second).
> --------8<------ snip

Probably the fan on your CPU running too slow or not at all.

Look in the BIOS settings, it's probably set to warn you of low fan
speed (or CPU too hot)

"Fatfreek" <miller3lr@oecc3wildblue3.com> wrote in message
>I may go five or so restarts where there is no beeping. This morning
> it's the constant beeping (every 1 second).

Does this beeping start the moment you power up the PC, during the POST,
during boot, after the OS is up and stable, what?

> When the beeping happens I turn the audio volume to zero.
> Naturally, during those sessions I've lost any features that
> require audio.

Well if nothing else this comment helps us deduce that the beeping is coming
from your loudspeakers and thus is being generated by the audio subsystem.
BIOS-generated beeps tend to come from the onboard speaker. Are you using
the onboard sound codec or a PCI soundcard btw?

> This has been going on for some six months.

Took a while to get on your nerves then! ;)

> I'm up to date with Windows 2000 Pro, using their latest service pack.
> I run on a homebrewed system based around an Abit 1C7-G
> motherboard for the past 16 months.

The fact that you are posting here tends to indicate that you think the
motherboard is responsible, yet from what you've actually told us, this
doesn't seem especially likely. As mentioned earlier, at what exact moment
does this beeping start? If it's there right from power-up or POST, then
it's certain to be the motherboard or systems thereon. If, however, it's
coming from your audio speakers and starts later, it's almost certain to be
caused by some software you're running.

Have you checked Event Viewer, or, if you can predict the frequency of the
beeps, have Task Manager running at the time, and eliminate applications one
at a time until the beeps stop?

If you want specific assistance from us, you're going to need to answer the
questions above, as at this stage you haven't given us anywhere near enough
info to form a view of what might be going on.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Based on a tip from a friend I downloaded and used Process Explorer by Mark
Russinovich. Thank you, also, Mark.

The offending process turned out to be Google Deskbar (one of my favorite
tools for finding quickie answers, definitions to words, etc.)

PID 1540, ggviewER81-82.e
(whatever that all is)

Sorry to post in this mainboard group but a lot of searches seemed to point
to motherboard and this novice was striking out at every turn.

Thanks for jumping in.

Len Miller

--
"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.com> wrote in message
> "Fatfreek" <miller3lr@oecc3wildblue3.com> wrote in message
> >I may go five or so restarts where there is no beeping. This morning
> > it's the constant beeping (every 1 second).
>
> Does this beeping start the moment you power up the PC, during the POST,
> during boot, after the OS is up and stable, what?
>
> > When the beeping happens I turn the audio volume to zero.
> > Naturally, during those sessions I've lost any features that
> > require audio.
>
> Well if nothing else this comment helps us deduce that the beeping is
coming
> from your loudspeakers and thus is being generated by the audio subsystem.
> BIOS-generated beeps tend to come from the onboard speaker. Are you using
> the onboard sound codec or a PCI soundcard btw?
>
> > This has been going on for some six months.
>
> Took a while to get on your nerves then! ;)
>
> > I'm up to date with Windows 2000 Pro, using their latest service pack.
> > I run on a homebrewed system based around an Abit 1C7-G
> > motherboard for the past 16 months.
>
> The fact that you are posting here tends to indicate that you think the
> motherboard is responsible, yet from what you've actually told us, this
> doesn't seem especially likely. As mentioned earlier, at what exact moment
> does this beeping start? If it's there right from power-up or POST, then
> it's certain to be the motherboard or systems thereon. If, however, it's
> coming from your audio speakers and starts later, it's almost certain to
be
> caused by some software you're running.
>
> Have you checked Event Viewer, or, if you can predict the frequency of the
> beeps, have Task Manager running at the time, and eliminate applications
one
> at a time until the beeps stop?
>
> If you want specific assistance from us, you're going to need to answer
the
> questions above, as at this stage you haven't given us anywhere near
enough
> info to form a view of what might be going on.
> --
>

> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

It sounds like your system is sounding an alarm because it thinks your CPU
is burning up. You probably have a high speed quiet fan and the system
doesn't recognize it cooling the CPU. Can yout turn it off??
"Fatfreek" <miller3lr@oecc3wildblue3.com> wrote in message
>I may go five or so restarts where there is no beeping. This morning it's
> the constant beeping (every 1 second). Yesterday, the intervals were some
> 42 seconds. When the beeping happens I turn the audio volume to zero.
> Naturally, during those sessions I've lost any features that require
> audio.
>

> Other than the beeping I know of no problems while running any
> application -
> Word, Excel, AutoCad, Paint Shop Pro, ZtreeWin, TextPad, Internet
> Explorer.
> Each time I launch Winbond Hardware Doctor 2.73 I see no warnings -- all
> the
> temperatures, etc., seem to be within bounds.
>

> This has been going on for some six months.
>

> I'm up to date with my McAfee virus protection and have recently done a
> complete virus scan.
>

> I'm up to date with Windows 2000 Pro, using their latest service pack. I
> run on a homebrewed system based around an Abit 1C7-G motherboard for the
> past 16 months.
>

> One suspicion that I hope I've ruled out is my SpyderPro2 monitor
> calibrator
> from the Pantone Colorvision folks. My problem began shortly after I
> installed their software/hardware. After a default period, two weeks, you
> get a nag screen suggesting that your monitor requires calibration. An
> email response from those people told me how to turn off that nag screen.
> 'm not convinced that the beeping is not coming from, say, their startup
> program.
>
> Len Miller
>
> --
> To email reply, eradicate all threes in my SPAM guarded address.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

the beeping is coming from the speakers through the onboard audio? single
tone beeping or hi-low beeping?

I would start by disabling all fan speed detection in the bios and moving
the CPU overtemp warnings up in the bios. Exit out of the Winbond Hardware
Doctor completely and see if the beeping continues. if not, I suspect that
the Hardware Doctor is misconfigured as that app is not the best out
there... you may want to look into Motherboard Monitor.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

Due to a rat in da hood,
no longer running servers on Cox...

(even though someone turned me in,
what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)

"Fatfreek" <miller3lr@oecc3wildblue3.com> wrote in message
>I may go five or so restarts where there is no beeping. This morning it's
> the constant beeping (every 1 second). Yesterday, the intervals were some
> 42 seconds. When the beeping happens I turn the audio volume to zero.
> Naturally, during those sessions I've lost any features that require
> audio.
>

> Other than the beeping I know of no problems while running any
> application -
> Word, Excel, AutoCad, Paint Shop Pro, ZtreeWin, TextPad, Internet
> Explorer.
> Each time I launch Winbond Hardware Doctor 2.73 I see no warnings -- all
> the
> temperatures, etc., seem to be within bounds.
>

> This has been going on for some six months.
>

> I'm up to date with my McAfee virus protection and have recently done a
> complete virus scan.
>

> I'm up to date with Windows 2000 Pro, using their latest service pack. I
> run on a homebrewed system based around an Abit 1C7-G motherboard for the
> past 16 months.
>

> One suspicion that I hope I've ruled out is my SpyderPro2 monitor
> calibrator
> from the Pantone Colorvision folks. My problem began shortly after I
> installed their software/hardware. After a default period, two weeks, you
> get a nag screen suggesting that your monitor requires calibration. An
> email response from those people told me how to turn off that nag screen.
> 'm not convinced that the beeping is not coming from, say, their startup
> program.
>
> Len Miller
>
> --
> To email reply, eradicate all threes in my SPAM guarded address.

"Fatfreek" <miller3lr@oecc3wildblue3.com> wrote in message...
> The offending process turned out to be Google Deskbar (one of my favorite
> tools for finding quickie answers, definitions to words, etc.)
>
> Sorry to post in this mainboard group but a lot of searches seemed to
> point
> to motherboard and this novice was striking out at every turn.

No worries Len, glad to hear you got to the root of the problem so quickly!
:)
--

"TomG" wrote in message...
> I would start by...

Whoaaaa there tiger! Problem solved, over 24 hours ago! ;)
--

Richard Hopkins wrote:

| Whoaaaa there tiger! Problem solved, over 24 hours ago! ;)

¿Tiger?

Pussycat maybe.

Just kidding.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
Jef

p.s. Hi Richard.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

sorry, the sort order I use is from oldest to newest and I saw he had
corrected the issue... thanks for keeping me from going off the cliff,
Richard!

--

> "TomG" wrote in message...
>> I would start by...
>
> Whoaaaa there tiger! Problem solved, over 24 hours ago! ;)
> --
>

> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

mmrreeeowww

--

"Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message news:SL7We.2749$Ob2.836@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...

TomG wrote:
> sorry, the sort order I use is from oldest to newest and I saw he had
> corrected the issue... thanks for keeping me from going off the cliff,
> Richard!

ROTFLMFAO !!!

" .. sorry .. " .

Yahh, rite !

?? You been approached by the Bush Contritionist Team yet ???

ROTFLMFAO !!!

Qed.

Qed wrote:

| ROTFLMFAO !!!
|
| " .. sorry .. " .
|
| Yahh, rite !
|
| ?? You been approached by the Bush Contritionist Team yet ???
|
| ROTFLMFAO !!!

Maybe TomG could declare a National Day of Prayer and Remembrance?

Would be better for some after-the-fact prayer for his transgression than
doing absolutely nothing. You see .. he waited days for others to do the
work, and then rushed in late, like a tiger, with cameras blazing, taking
all the credit for an adequate response.

Prayer might even shore up his sagging approval ratings.

Would have been better, still, for some pro-active prayer in advance of the
tragedy, so that he didn't commit the error of answering a question that had
already been answered.

Even brain-dead Shrubbery could have figured that out.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I'll have you know I am not brain dead. a shrub... maybe. not brain dead!

--

"Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®" <jefn_LurkingRatInDaHood_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message news:BdXWe.4719$6e1.753@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...

TomG wrote:

| I'll have you know I am not brain dead. a shrub... maybe. not brain
dead!

I wasn't talking about you when I referred to brain-dead Shrubbery.

Take note of Qed's reference to the Bush Contritionist Team.

Sheesh .. one might think you'd 'get' some of the stuff that's said around
here by now! But .. then again .. maybe not.

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® wrote:

> I wasn't talking about you when I referred to brain-dead Shrubbery.
>
> Take note of Qed's reference to the Bush Contritionist Team.
>
> Sheesh .. one might think you'd 'get' some of the stuff that's said around
> here by now! But .. then again .. maybe not.

<chort> <gaffaw> ...

Give the 'guy' a break !!

Sheesh !!

How'd YOU like to be a lonely neuron,
inside his cranial enclosure,
fighting for rationality.

Come to 'think' of it ...
you're =eminently= qualified for the "Team".

The =Cheap= Bastards ...
they didnt even leave the 'WH' supplied "Energy System" for the locals
!!!
At least his 'handlers' had the sense to make him shave ...
nuthing like a 'shaved' Bush, I always say.

:)
Qed.

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

hey! gimme a break! after a few olives (contained within a special
preservative...) one only reads every other word... then fills in the
blanks with whatever comes to mush, uh, I mean mind!

--

message news:dT0Xe.4967$6e1.2920@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> TomG wrote:
> |
> | I'll have you know I am not brain dead. a shrub... maybe. not brain
> dead!
> |

> I wasn't talking about you when I referred to brain-dead Shrubbery.
>
> Take note of Qed's reference to the Bush Contritionist Team.
>
> Sheesh .. one might think you'd 'get' some of the stuff that's said around
> here by now! But .. then again .. maybe not.
>
> Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®

TomG

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

a lonely neuron marinated in Bombay Sapphire!

--

TomG wrote:

| hey! gimme a break! after a few olives (contained within a
| special preservative...) one only reads every other word...
| then fills in the blanks with whatever comes to mush, uh, I
| mean mind!

As I said: Maybe not! ;-)

But, hell .. I write this stuff marinated in that same preservative.

As the sign on Bourbon Street read: "We will not die sober."

Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®
Jef