Stop error 0x0000024, NTFS.sys with addresses F83xxxx and ..

Hi all,
I get a stop error advising me that Windows has stopped to protect my
computer and to run CHKDSK /F, but I cannot get into Windows in any mode at
all.
I was installing a program I have installed before, (Fraps) when this screen
sprang up, so I rebooted and got the same message after the WindowsXP
I have tried;
Recovery Console
Repair install
Safe Mode (all flavours).
The same message appears under all of these methods.
Under Recovery Console (or new install) when setup checks the disk, it waits
a while, then throws up the error.

I have even tried installing XP to another disk and using the Recovery
console to access the original installation, but it doesn't get detected.
I thought I might be able to boot into the new installation to see the old
one, but I cannot boot with both of these drives connected, this causes the
a reboot at the Windows loading screen.

Complications are... I am using a RAID striped set on a Silicon Image SATA
controller. The controller BIOS still detects the drives, and before the
error springs up XP setup detects the drive size.

Abit NF7-S using Silicon Image sil3112 SATA controller.
2* 256Mb PQI RAM,
3* Seagate ATA100 40Gb HDD (2 in RAID 0 with SATA adapters)
400 W PSU
ATI 9800 Pro
AMD 2500 CPU.
Optowrite CDR/W
LG DVD drive

I have the lates BIOS (about 3 weeks ago), and tried setting it to defaults.

System has been running without major errors for 3 months, am as sure as I
can be it is not virus related.
Yes I am installing the 3rd party drivers.
My last backup was 2 weeks ago, so I want to avoid downloading all the stuff
again (dial-up), otherwise I would just break the RAID set and go from
there.
I am not ruling out disk failure, just want to salvage something if
possible.

TIA

P.S. about to try some NTSF DOS software.

"h" <h@h> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I get a stop error advising me that Windows has stopped to protect my
> computer and to run CHKDSK /F, but I cannot get into Windows in any mode
at
> all.
> I was installing a program I have installed before, (Fraps) when this
screen
> sprang up, so I rebooted and got the same message after the WindowsXP
> I have tried;
> Recovery Console
> Repair install
> Safe Mode (all flavours).
> The same message appears under all of these methods.
> Under Recovery Console (or new install) when setup checks the disk, it
waits
> a while, then throws up the error.
>
> I have even tried installing XP to another disk and using the Recovery
> console to access the original installation, but it doesn't get detected.
> I thought I might be able to boot into the new installation to see the old
> one, but I cannot boot with both of these drives connected, this causes
the
> a reboot at the Windows loading screen.
>
> Complications are... I am using a RAID striped set on a Silicon Image SATA
> controller. The controller BIOS still detects the drives, and before the
> error springs up XP setup detects the drive size.
>

> Abit NF7-S using Silicon Image sil3112 SATA controller.
> 2* 256Mb PQI RAM,
> 3* Seagate ATA100 40Gb HDD (2 in RAID 0 with SATA adapters)
> 400 W PSU
> ATI 9800 Pro
> AMD 2500 CPU.
> Optowrite CDR/W
> LG DVD drive
>
> I have the lates BIOS (about 3 weeks ago), and tried setting it to
defaults.

> System has been running without major errors for 3 months, am as sure as I
> can be it is not virus related.
> Yes I am installing the 3rd party drivers.
> My last backup was 2 weeks ago, so I want to avoid downloading all the
stuff
> again (dial-up), otherwise I would just break the RAID set and go from
> there.
> I am not ruling out disk failure, just want to salvage something if
> possible.
>
> TIA
>
> P.S. about to try some NTSF DOS software.

Select "Last known good configuration" when booting.

Alternatively, boot the machine with your Win2000 CD, select
"Repair", then select "Command Console". Now rename
c:\winnt\system32\config\system to "system.bad", and
c:\winnt\system32\config\system.alt to "system".

"h" <h@h> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I get a stop error advising me that Windows has stopped to protect my
> computer and to run CHKDSK /F, but I cannot get into Windows in any mode
at
> all.
> I was installing a program I have installed before, (Fraps) when this
screen
> sprang up, so I rebooted and got the same message after the WindowsXP
> I have tried;
> Recovery Console
> Repair install
> Safe Mode (all flavours).
> The same message appears under all of these methods.
> Under Recovery Console (or new install) when setup checks the disk, it
waits
> a while, then throws up the error.
>
> I have even tried installing XP to another disk and using the Recovery
> console to access the original installation, but it doesn't get detected.
> I thought I might be able to boot into the new installation to see the old
> one, but I cannot boot with both of these drives connected, this causes
the
> a reboot at the Windows loading screen.
>
> Complications are... I am using a RAID striped set on a Silicon Image SATA
> controller. The controller BIOS still detects the drives, and before the
> error springs up XP setup detects the drive size.
>

> Abit NF7-S using Silicon Image sil3112 SATA controller.
> 2* 256Mb PQI RAM,
> 3* Seagate ATA100 40Gb HDD (2 in RAID 0 with SATA adapters)
> 400 W PSU
> ATI 9800 Pro
> AMD 2500 CPU.
> Optowrite CDR/W
> LG DVD drive
>
> I have the lates BIOS (about 3 weeks ago), and tried setting it to
defaults.

> System has been running without major errors for 3 months, am as sure as I
> can be it is not virus related.
> Yes I am installing the 3rd party drivers.
> My last backup was 2 weeks ago, so I want to avoid downloading all the
stuff
> again (dial-up), otherwise I would just break the RAID set and go from
> there.
> I am not ruling out disk failure, just want to salvage something if
> possible.
>
> TIA
>
> P.S. about to try some NTSF DOS software.

By the way, your PC clock is 14.5 hours fast, or your
PC is set to the wrong time zone.

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
<snip>> >
> > P.S. about to try some NTSF DOS software.
> >

> Select "Last known good configuration" when booting.
>
> Alternatively, boot the machine with your Win2000 CD, select
> "Repair", then select "Command Console". Now rename
> c:\winnt\system32\config\system to "system.bad", and
> c:\winnt\system32\config\system.alt to "system".

I am using Windows XP Profesional, should have specified I did try "Last
Known good configuration", with the same result.
If I try Repair it begins to check the disk/s then throws up same error
again, only last four characters change. I can never get to a command prompt
to try chkdisk or anything else, unfortunatley I would need to load DOS
drivers for the Silicon Image controller, to even find out if the RAID array
is still readable using the NTFS DOS sofware (next stop), at the moment
however I don't know if these are available.
It must be readable to some degree because when I installed XP (upgrade
edition) to another disk (hence the wrong date - last thing on my mind at
the time:)), I was never asked for a qualifying product (which I normally
am), and when I do run safe mode command prompt I see the list of files

Cheers for reply.

"h" <h@h> wrote in message

> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> <snip>> >
> > > P.S. about to try some NTSF DOS software.
> > >

> > Select "Last known good configuration" when booting.
> >
> > Alternatively, boot the machine with your Win2000 CD, select
> > "Repair", then select "Command Console". Now rename
> > c:\winnt\system32\config\system to "system.bad", and
> > c:\winnt\system32\config\system.alt to "system".
> >

> I am using Windows XP Profesional, should have specified I did try "Last
> Known good configuration", with the same result.
> If I try Repair it begins to check the disk/s then throws up same error
> again, only last four characters change. I can never get to a command
prompt
> to try chkdisk or anything else, unfortunatley I would need to load DOS
> drivers for the Silicon Image controller, to even find out if the RAID
array
> is still readable using the NTFS DOS sofware (next stop), at the moment
> however I don't know if these are available.
> It must be readable to some degree because when I installed XP (upgrade
> edition) to another disk (hence the wrong date - last thing on my mind at
> the time:)), I was never asked for a qualifying product (which I normally
> am), and when I do run safe mode command prompt I see the list of files
>
> Cheers for reply.

Did you try the Command Mode process I suggested?

> "h" <h@h> wrote in message
> >
> > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> > <snip>> >
> > > >

> > > Select "Last known good configuration" when booting.
> > >
> > > Alternatively, boot the machine with your Win2000 CD, select
> > > "Repair", then select "Command Console". Now rename
> > > c:\winnt\system32\config\system to "system.bad", and
> > > c:\winnt\system32\config\system.alt to "system".
> > >

> > I am using Windows XP Profesional, should have specified I did try "Last
> > Known good configuration", with the same result.
> > If I try Repair it begins to check the disk/s then throws up same error
> > again, only last four characters change. I can never get to a command
> prompt
> > to try chkdisk or anything else, unfortunatley I would need to load DOS
> > drivers for the Silicon Image controller, to even find out if the RAID
> array
> > is still readable using the NTFS DOS sofware (next stop), at the moment
> > however I don't know if these are available.
> > It must be readable to some degree because when I installed XP (upgrade
> > edition) to another disk (hence the wrong date - last thing on my mind
at
> > the time:)), I was never asked for a qualifying product (which I
normally
> > am), and when I do run safe mode command prompt I see the list of files
> >
> > Cheers for reply.
> >

> Did you try the Command Mode process I suggested?

?? No. I cannot.
When I select Repair after booting from the Windows XP Professional CD, a
message appears at the bottom of the screen notifying me it is checking the
disk (the RAID striped set), but it never completes the check because the
stop error occurs again, and I can proceed no further.

"h" <h@h> wrote in message

> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "h" <h@h> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> > > <snip>> >

> > > I am using Windows XP Profesional, should have specified I did try
"Last
> > > Known good configuration", with the same result.
> > > If I try Repair it begins to check the disk/s then throws up same
error
> > > again, only last four characters change. I can never get to a command
> > prompt
> > > to try chkdisk or anything else, unfortunatley I would need to load
DOS
> > > drivers for the Silicon Image controller, to even find out if the RAID
> > array
> > > is still readable using the NTFS DOS sofware (next stop), at the
moment
> > > however I don't know if these are available.
> > > It must be readable to some degree because when I installed XP
(upgrade
> > > edition) to another disk (hence the wrong date - last thing on my mind
> at
> > > the time:)), I was never asked for a qualifying product (which I
> normally
> > > am), and when I do run safe mode command prompt I see the list of
files

> > > Cheers for reply.
> > >

> > Did you try the Command Mode process I suggested?
> >

> ?? No. I cannot.
> When I select Repair after booting from the Windows XP Professional CD, a
> message appears at the bottom of the screen notifying me it is checking
the
> disk (the RAID striped set), but it never completes the check because the
> stop error occurs again, and I can proceed no further.

I'm beginning to suspect a hardware problem. If this was an
ordinary disk then I would do either of these:

a) Temporarily install the disk as a slave disk in some
other WinXP PC, and run chkdsk /f on it; or

b) Temporarily install a spare disk in this machine (while
the main disk is disconnected), install a vanilla version
of WinXP on this disk, then reconnect the problem disk
so that I could check it.

In either case you could rename a suspected driver
file after checking the disk.

You need to decide if either of these methods is feasible
for your RAID set.

<snip>> >
> > ?? No. I cannot.
> > When I select Repair after booting from the Windows XP Professional CD,
> > message appears at the bottom of the screen notifying me it is checking
> the
> > disk (the RAID striped set), but it never completes the check because
the
> > stop error occurs again, and I can proceed no further.
> >

> I'm beginning to suspect a hardware problem. If this was an
> ordinary disk then I would do either of these:
>
> a) Temporarily install the disk as a slave disk in some
> other WinXP PC, and run chkdsk /f on it; or
>
> b) Temporarily install a spare disk in this machine (while
> the main disk is disconnected), install a vanilla version
> of WinXP on this disk, then reconnect the problem disk
> so that I could check it.
>
> In either case you could rename a suspected driver
> file after checking the disk.
>
> You need to decide if either of these methods is feasible
> for your RAID set.

As mentioned in earlier posts I did install XP again to a single disk in the
same machine, but I could not boot with the RAID array attatched. This
resulted in a reboot before the working version would load.
I don't know exactly what the problem was, but am wondering if some kind of
corruption in the filing system caused NTSF.SYS to fall over when it tried
to read that portion of the disk/s. I say that because it didn't seem to
matter which copy of NTFS.SYS was being used it resulted in the same stop
error (or reboot as a second disk) when that array was being examined.
I was able to recover the data using a utility from NTFS.com
http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm.
I deleted and rebuilt array, installed XP in striped set again and ran
chkdsk /v, and there seem to be no problem with the disks. I will keep a
close eye on it, as it could have just been very bad luck.
Cheers.