KT7A - Help please with drivers after system rebuild and c..

Hello,
I currently have a KT7A mobo in my system. I am going to build a new one
and use this motherboard to build a "new" computer for my parents. I need
help with what drivers I need and in what order they should be installed
after I install Windows XP.

I have an Athalon Thunderbird 1.2GHz processor. I know I need the VIA 4in1
drivers, not sure which version though. There was also some sort of USB
driver and I think an AMD patch for this processor.

A list of which drivers I need and in what order they should be installed
would be very helpful.

Thanks,
BGC

BGC wrote:

> Hello,
....snip...

Hello,

You'd be better advised to leave the "present" intact ...
give it to the 'rents, as-is ...
start anew with the new one.

Qed.

"0_Qed" <nano.bot@shaysnet.com> wrote in message
> BGC wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
> ...snip...
>
> Hello,
>
> You'd be better advised to leave the "present" intact ...
> give it to the 'rents, as-is ...
> start anew with the new one.
>
> Qed.

I'd rather do a clean install. I was going to replace the boot drive with a
newer, larger one. I built this system at least 4 years ago so all the
driver specifics are long forgotten.

BGC

BGC wrote:
> I'd rather do a clean install. I was going to replace the boot drive with a
> newer, larger one. I built this system at least 4 years ago so all the
> driver specifics are long forgotten.

In that case, 'look' to the long run.

Find/install the larger HD as HD1 ...
boot so that the ESCD & Reg are 'aware'of the new HD,
locate Kahn's 'XXCLONE' ... RTFM & use it to clone HD0 to HD1 ...
=verify= by booting the clone on HD1 .
Make good notes, as you go ... failures & successes.

Leave old HD0 as 'HD0', new HD1 as HD1 ,
leave all 'cards' as-is, in place,
'doc' the current CMOS settings, even if in pencil, commit to a doc file
,
clean up the HD0 ,
give 'intact' to 'rents.
You'll be glad you "did", on some, next 'rental phone call.

'This' mite seem the long way 'round ,
but ...
consider that you now have a fairly stable system,
consider that the addition of HD1 is a least disruptive task ,
consider that you'll have a decent recovery plan , and 24_7 'LD' at that
,

On your 'next' new build ...
.. look into a Bios Savour
.. consider a 2nd 'HD1' for cloning
.. take/make perfect "notes" on hdwr build & sftwr loads
.. DL all previous_&_ensuing official BIOS versions

Be aware that a 'fresh' OS install is best done with an "empty" ESCD ,
which also happens when you flash a new BIOS 'bin' file to the eeprom
chip.
The ESCD is a big_old parameter "table" , superceding the CMOS parm tbl
mostly.
It lies behind the BIOS bin file in the eeprom chip ,
built/some-times-rebuilt at boot , can get munged.
The ESCD 'parms' aughta_must sync with the OS 'Reg' .

Qed.

BGC wrote:
> Hello,
> I currently have a KT7A mobo in my system. I am going to build a new one
> and use this motherboard to build a "new" computer for my parents. I need
> help with what drivers I need and in what order they should be installed
> after I install Windows XP.
>
> I have an Athalon Thunderbird 1.2GHz processor. I know I need the VIA 4in1
> drivers, not sure which version though. There was also some sort of USB
> driver and I think an AMD patch for this processor.
>
> A list of which drivers I need and in what order they should be installed
> would be very helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> BGC

from the VIA site download the 4 in 1 driver exe and use it when the XP
install is done. It provides updated drivers for the board. Also update
to the 09 mainboard drivers from the Abit site, check for the latest
version for your board.

In article <TZYWe.24591$UI.21617@okepread05>, BGC says...
> Hello,
> I currently have a KT7A mobo in my system. I am going to build a new one
> and use this motherboard to build a "new" computer for my parents. I need
> help with what drivers I need and in what order they should be installed
> after I install Windows XP.
>
> I have an Athalon Thunderbird 1.2GHz processor. I know I need the VIA 4in1
> drivers, not sure which version though. There was also some sort of USB
> driver and I think an AMD patch for this processor.

THe driver and patch are for Windows 98.

Installation order...

Windows.
DirectX
Motherboard Drivers
Graphics
Sound
LAN (Make sure you also enable the firewall before plugging into a
router)

WINDOWS UPDATE.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.