  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2005 2:56:13 AM

I can't boot from sata hdd (maxtor 6 L250s0), on install i press f6 to
load sata drivers, but after the first reboot, when windows should boot
from hdd and continue with setup i get the message that hdd can not be
read, that is if i leave hdd as only boot option in bios, if not setup
boots again and starts over.
I can install windows on IDE hdd and use sata as second disk
just fine, but i would like to boot from sata hdd. I have tryed to
prepare it with maxblast 4, format it form installed windows, copy the
boot partition with maxblast.... but still can not boot from it.
Any help would be appreciated, thanx in advance

More about : an7 boot form sata hdd

September 18, 2005 2:56:14 AM

sounds like the boot order or "boot priority" settings in the mainboard bios
may not be correct. not real familiar with that board but on many SATA
boards, you need to set the boot priority to have something like "add-in
device" or "add-in PCI device" and then you set the add-in device in another
menu option to be the SATA controller.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

Due to a rat in da hood,
no longer running servers on Cox...

(even though someone turned me in,
what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)

"Fucho" <markoMAKNI.fucek@zg.htnet.hr> wrote in message
> I can't boot from sata hdd (maxtor 6 L250s0), on install i press f6 to
> load sata drivers, but after the first reboot, when windows should boot
> from hdd and continue with setup i get the message that hdd can not be
> read, that is if i leave hdd as only boot option in bios, if not setup
> boots again and starts over.
> I can install windows on IDE hdd and use sata as second disk
> just fine, but i would like to boot from sata hdd. I have tryed to
> prepare it with maxblast 4, format it form installed windows, copy the
> boot partition with maxblast.... but still can not boot from it.
> Any help would be appreciated, thanx in advance

September 18, 2005 2:56:14 AM

"Fucho" <markoMAKNI.fucek@zg.htnet.hr> wrote in message
> I can't boot from sata hdd (maxtor 6 L250s0), on install i press f6 to
> load sata drivers, but after the first reboot, when windows should boot
> from hdd and continue with setup i get the message that hdd can not be
> read, that is if i leave hdd as only boot option in bios, if not setup
> boots again and starts over.
> I can install windows on IDE hdd and use sata as second disk
> just fine, but i would like to boot from sata hdd. I have tryed to
> prepare it with maxblast 4, format it form installed windows, copy the
> boot partition with maxblast.... but still can not boot from it.
> Any help would be appreciated, thanx in advance

I have the AN7.
go into the bios.
access the ADVANCE BIOS FEATURES screen
the first option is HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY
select that and make sure the selection is sata.

With the AN7 board, (maybe others too) the ide drive has priority on sata.
In my pc, I have 2 sata drives. If i add an ide drive, the bios will
automatically set the ide as the priority boot disk. So check that first and
tell me if it solves your problem.

However please note that if the sata drive is formatted and that you install
windows, you WILL need that sata disk and press F6 upon startup install.
hope it helps.

Frank
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2005 5:16:58 AM

> I have the AN7.
> go into the bios.
> access the ADVANCE BIOS FEATURES screen
> the first option is HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY
> select that and make sure the selection is sata.

I have set sata as first disk in boot priority menu, also i tryed to
boot without IDE drive connected, still can't boot from sata.
Does yor an7 indicate sata disk on the post screen in any way? I get
the list of IDE devices, but there is no mention od sata disk anywhere
in the post proces, but windows on IDE disk see it as present and i can
use it, just not boot from it.

> However please note that if the sata drive is formatted and that you install
> windows, you WILL need that sata disk and press F6 upon startup install.
> hope it helps.
>
> Frank

When i press F6 i can select sata drivers and have the option to
install them from floppy disk or use the windows driver (i install from
slipstreamed winXP + sp2). With either i still can not boot.
Thanks
September 18, 2005 5:16:59 AM

wow, wierd problem you got.

> Does yor an7 indicate sata disk on the post screen in any way? I get
> the list of IDE devices, but there is no mention od sata disk anywhere
> in the post proces, but windows on IDE disk see it as present and i can
> use it, just not boot from it.

Everytime i boot my pc, once you see the first bios screen, the one
indicating the priamay & secondary master/slave drives if any (IDE devices),
I get an other all blank screen for a good 2-3 seconds listing my sata
drives. Then after, it goes into windows booting. Should you have a
formatted HD, you would get the system disk error here.

Do do you see your Sata HD in the "bios booting screens" the board or bios
is definately not detecting your HD. Since your HD does work as "slave" in
windows, that means the problem may only be in the bios.

Have you cleared bios cmos? then loadimg the safe config.
Have you updated the bios. (might be irrelevant to your problem but just in
case)
Have you tried the other sata channel/connector. The Sata connector closest
to the front of the PC is Sata port 1. Personally, my pc makes no difference
but just in case, I would try connector sata 2.

>> I have the AN7.
>> go into the bios.
>> access the ADVANCE BIOS FEATURES screen
>> the first option is HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY
>> select that and make sure the selection is sata.
>>
> I have set sata as first disk in boot priority menu, also i tryed to
> boot without IDE drive connected, still can't boot from sata.
> Does yor an7 indicate sata disk on the post screen in any way? I get
> the list of IDE devices, but there is no mention od sata disk anywhere
> in the post proces, but windows on IDE disk see it as present and i can
> use it, just not boot from it.
>
>> However please note that if the sata drive is formatted and that you
>> install
>> windows, you WILL need that sata disk and press F6 upon startup install.
>> hope it helps.
>>
>> Frank
>
> When i press F6 i can select sata drivers and have the option to
> install them from floppy disk or use the windows driver (i install from
> slipstreamed winXP + sp2). With either i still can not boot.
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2005 4:00:58 PM

> Do do you see your Sata HD in the "bios booting screens" the board or bios
> is definately not detecting your HD. Since your HD does work as "slave" in
> windows, that means the problem may only be in the bios.

This is the first time that a have sata HD and MB so i didn't know if
it should show it at post, now i al least know on what to concentrate.

> Have you cleared bios cmos? then loadimg the safe config.
> Have you updated the bios. (might be irrelevant to your problem but just in
> case)

Just tryed cleraing cmos and loading safe defaults, didn't help. I
have v18 bios, sa far as i can see the newest v19 adds nothing that
would be relevant so i didn't update, but that is still a thing to try.
Good ideas anyway, thanks.

> Have you tried the other sata channel/connector. The Sata connector closest
> to the front of the PC is Sata port 1. Personally, my pc makes no difference
> but just in case, I would try connector sata 2.

It is connected to sata 1 but i have tryed with sata 2, also i tryed
another sata cable but seeng how it works as non-boot drive in windows a
didn't expect anything from it.
At this point i am more and more inclined to having system on IDE
drive, I did plan to keep it anyway, but it would have been nice to boot
from sata drive. Thank you for all your help, I'll try to make it work
for a bit longer but today i will finalize my sistem for better or for
worse.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2005 7:58:11 PM

Update:

> wow, wierd problem you got.
Well, finaly solved it, and in retrospective it is simple. Your help
was vital, thank you!

> Do do you see your Sata HD in the "bios booting screens" the board or bios
> is definately not detecting your HD. Since your HD does work as "slave" in
> windows, that means the problem may only be in the bios.
Now i do, when Raid Rom is enabled. At first I did not think I need
it for a single sata disk, after a first faliure i tryed with it on and
then winXP install CD would not boot. Well, seeng how i should have it
on and see Sata HDD after initial post screen turned me back on the
right track.
I have used a boot floppy disk and smartdrv.exe to load winXP
instalation from DOS, while Raid Rom was enabled and on the first reboot
it continued to install just fine. Well, took me a long time but live
and learn, thanks again!
September 18, 2005 11:17:28 PM

> Update:
>
>> wow, wierd problem you got.
> Well, finaly solved it, and in retrospective it is simple. Your help
> was vital, thank you!
>
>> Do do you see your Sata HD in the "bios booting screens" the board or
>> bios
>> is definately not detecting your HD. Since your HD does work as "slave"
>> in
>> windows, that means the problem may only be in the bios.
> Now i do, when Raid Rom is enabled. At first I did not think I need
> it for a single sata disk, after a first faliure i tryed with it on and
> then winXP install CD would not boot. Well, seeng how i should have it
> on and see Sata HDD after initial post screen turned me back on the
> right track.
> I have used a boot floppy disk and smartdrv.exe to load winXP
> instalation from DOS, while Raid Rom was enabled and on the first reboot
> it continued to install just fine. Well, took me a long time but live
> and learn, thanks again!

OH MY GOD I feel so dumb. hehe, you just reminded me of that. Gee why did I
not think of that before? (My memory is failing on me I think) I remember
that too when I bought the board but that was long time ago and did
experience the same thing. But in my case, I was experiencing with bios
settings and discovered that if I disable raid rom, my pc would not boot
anymore. I didn't even make a fuss about it knowing I knew what I had just
changed. I just got a flashback of this when you just mentioned the
solution. For some odd reason, the raid rom was necessary to booting with
SATA. You definitely need it.

Anyhow, glad you found it and that you may finally use you new drive.

have fun
!