CD-RW & DVD not recognised

April 18, 2004 5:31:03 AM

I have a CD_RW and DVD drive installed, have had few problems for some time, but recently XP has not recognised the drives as DVD and CD-RW, and only lists them through my computer as CD Drives. In System they have the correct titles and drivers. This seems to effect Nero and doesn't allow me to burn discs.

More about : dvd recognised

Anonymous
April 18, 2004 7:04:47 AM

Try reinstalling the drivers and also check the products
web pages for any updates or perhaps articles on people
with similar problems.

April 18, 2004 8:31:04 AM

Thanks for that, have already tried these suggetsions and nothing doing, it seems more like an Xp problem, it was fine until recently with no problems.
Related resources
April 18, 2004 2:08:16 PM

Listen UP Microsoft!!!!
Same problems. CD Burners messed UP. Wont burn. Sometimes dissapear. Burners
MESSED UP!!!
So I reformated C:\ drive. Reinstalled a fresh WinXP pro. Put only a few
programs on (Norton internet security 2003 and updated it and clickN' burn
2.0 with update). Both burners wrote perfectly. Installed SP1 and both
burners wrote perfectly. Did 20 megs of windows critical updates and the
burners won't burn. Rebooted again. Now burners are gone.

This is getting real tiresome reading a lot of burner and cdrom problems on
this forum with NO FIX. It's a deffinate MS problem from critical updates.
There WAS no reason for me to reformat my computer. This was your fault. I
wouldn't be so mad, but I have been working on this problem for several
days. And reading the generic responses here are getting nowhere. You can
scroll down on this forum and see way too many cdrom problems. All the same.
And all getting no real help.

MS, please fix something in your critical updates.

My system: AMD 2500+, WD 80 gig HD (4 gig used), liteon 52x32x52 burner
master, maddog 52x24x52 burner slave, Adrive, Biostar M7NCD motherboard,
256meg of ram, Winxp pro with SP1 and all critical updates.

My system is only six months old. Everything was running fine until
recently.

"Kev" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for that, have already tried these suggetsions and nothing doing,
it seems more like an Xp problem, it was fine until recently with no
problems.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 6:46:03 PM

----- Kev wrote: -----

I have a CD_RW and DVD drive installed, have had few problems for some time, but recently XP has not recognised the drives as DVD and CD-RW, and only lists them through my computer as CD Drives. In System they have the correct titles and drivers. This seems to effect Nero and doesn't allow me to burn discs.
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 11:31:01 PM

i have a similar problem with my computer .it will burner a cd but will not burner data to my quicken cd or picture cd.I get the error message error copying file or folder.cannot copy files on this cd-rom drive are read-only.you cannot copy or move files over to this cd-rom drive. why is this happening?

"ralf" wrote:

> Listen UP Microsoft!!!!
> Same problems. CD Burners messed UP. Wont burn. Sometimes dissapear. Burners
> MESSED UP!!!
> So I reformated C:\ drive. Reinstalled a fresh WinXP pro. Put only a few
> programs on (Norton internet security 2003 and updated it and clickN' burn
> 2.0 with update). Both burners wrote perfectly. Installed SP1 and both
> burners wrote perfectly. Did 20 megs of windows critical updates and the
> burners won't burn. Rebooted again. Now burners are gone.
>
> This is getting real tiresome reading a lot of burner and cdrom problems on
> this forum with NO FIX. It's a deffinate MS problem from critical updates.
> There WAS no reason for me to reformat my computer. This was your fault. I
> wouldn't be so mad, but I have been working on this problem for several
> days. And reading the generic responses here are getting nowhere. You can
> scroll down on this forum and see way too many cdrom problems. All the same.
> And all getting no real help.
>
> MS, please fix something in your critical updates.
>
> My system: AMD 2500+, WD 80 gig HD (4 gig used), liteon 52x32x52 burner
> master, maddog 52x24x52 burner slave, Adrive, Biostar M7NCD motherboard,
> 256meg of ram, Winxp pro with SP1 and all critical updates.
>
> My system is only six months old. Everything was running fine until
> recently.
>

> "Kev" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for that, have already tried these suggetsions and nothing doing,
> it seems more like an Xp problem, it was fine until recently with no
> problems.

June 29, 2004 4:59:23 AM

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:31:01 -0700, Jerry_d_w wrote:

> i have a similar problem with my computer .it will burner a cd but will
> not burner data to my quicken cd or picture cd.I get the error message
> error copying file or folder.cannot copy files on this cd-rom drive are
> read-only.you cannot copy or move files over to this cd-rom drive. why
> is this happening?

You can't write to CD-RW with what? The MS Explorer Software or
your own CD-RW software? Do you use the CD-RW Packet Writing InCD
type software or is this Nero or Roxio CD-ROM Burning Software?
If you are using the CD-RW with the InCD packet writing software
I suggest you simply burn the data you want to a CD-RW using regular
CD burning software and if you want to reburn the CD-RW you simply erase
the Table of Content and burn the new data to the CD-RW, Nero supports
this function.

As far as the CD-RW/DVD/CD-ROM not be recognized I suggest that you
see my follow up to the guy with the DVD problem. Check your BIOS to see
if the DVD/CD-ROM/CD-RW is recognized there first. These drives fail
rather regularly, so it is not unusual for them to seem to work fine
and all of sudden they are dead, hang the computer or disappear at times.
They have sensitive laser instruments that can easily fail because every
time you run one it generates heat especially when you burn CD's.

--
Best Regards, Keith http://kilowatt-radio.org/ NW Oregon Radio Page
Tried of Virus, Spyware, Adware and Popups? Switch To Mozilla Web

I have a similar problem, my cd/ writer was working fine up until I installed
service pack 2. All I want to do is copy some photos on to disc from my hard
drive and it won’t work. I can still use it for playing games etc . I have
noticed that when it fails to copy and I close it for some reason Nero pops
open, but I can’t do it either. Any help would be great.

"Kev" wrote:

> I have a CD_RW and DVD drive installed, have had few problems for some time, but recently XP has not recognised the drives as DVD and CD-RW, and only lists them through my computer as CD Drives. In System they have the correct titles and drivers. This seems to effect Nero and doesn't allow me to burn discs.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 5:23:01 AM

I have almost the same problem. I have a combo drive. For some reason it
doesn't recognise blank media and recognises rw's only if data is stored on
them but doesn't let me write to them or erase!
Am getting pretty p****d of with it all!

"Kev" wrote:

> I have a CD_RW and DVD drive installed, have had few problems for some time, but recently XP has not recognised the drives as DVD and CD-RW, and only lists them through my computer as CD Drives. In System they have the correct titles and drivers. This seems to effect Nero and doesn't allow me to burn discs.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 10:19:02 AM

Hello! I need new ideas on getting my E & F drives to be accessible and have
"correct" functions. I've had this problem since Thanksgiving. I have
little computer knowledge, so I drop my computer off every week for a few
days with computer technicians who are mystified each time I pick it up. To
correct the drive error messages they installed new drives, gave them new
letters, re-formatted, re-installed Windows XP Home Edition SP2, put in a new
processor, new Motherboard, etc. I've spent alot of time surfing the
Internet for a corrective procedure. I have a new Lite-on DVD SOHD-167T on
Drive E and a new Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108 for recording on Drive F. I went to
their websites and downloaded their firmware. I searched on their websites
for any known conflicts. I was able to use the floppy drive A up until a
week ago. I check for viruses with various programs including Norton and
have no viruses. I've checked the Firewall and there are many exception
programs listed but I don't which one would apply to the DVD drive or Floppy
drive. I've tried several solutions on the Microsoft website. I even
nervously used Regedit and changed the values of the DVD drives from 3 to 1
and 2 as Microsoft stated. At least the drives seem to now be listed
correctly in "My Computer". Drive E has DVD Drive and Drive F states DVD-RW.
I tried another Microsoft suggested solution in Regedit deleting Upper and
Lower Filters. When I put an installation CD in one of the drives, it acts
like it recognizes the CD by changing from DVD to CD but the CD will only
revolve about a minute and never show up on the screen. I deleted all the
drivers as Microsoft suggested and the new hardware was detected. The
recording tab appears and it's enabled as well as "autoplay". I tried to
"repair" Windows XP Home Edition but I can't get the CD information to appear
since the drive doesn't work. I also tried to re-boot with the Windows XP CD
but it never appeared. Microsoft did mention some kind of "fix" in the works
but a person has to call to obtain the information. I found their technical
assistance phone number but I was shocked to discover they charge a person
money for help with one of their purchased products! Keith's statement about
the BIOS caught my attention. I've pressed F8 several times before and gone
into the BIOS. I don't see anything that pertains to DVD players. I never
make any changes. Does anyone know what I need to look for or change in the
BIOS? I'll continue to search the Microsoft website for answers. If anyone
has a suggested solution, please contact me. Thanks.

"Keith" wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:31:01 -0700, Jerry_d_w wrote:
>
> > i have a similar problem with my computer .it will burner a cd but will
> > not burner data to my quicken cd or picture cd.I get the error message
> > error copying file or folder.cannot copy files on this cd-rom drive are
> > read-only.you cannot copy or move files over to this cd-rom drive. why
> > is this happening?
>
> You can't write to CD-RW with what? The MS Explorer Software or
> your own CD-RW software? Do you use the CD-RW Packet Writing InCD
> type software or is this Nero or Roxio CD-ROM Burning Software?
> If you are using the CD-RW with the InCD packet writing software
> I suggest you simply burn the data you want to a CD-RW using regular
> CD burning software and if you want to reburn the CD-RW you simply erase
> the Table of Content and burn the new data to the CD-RW, Nero supports
> this function.
>
> As far as the CD-RW/DVD/CD-ROM not be recognized I suggest that you
> see my follow up to the guy with the DVD problem. Check your BIOS to see
> if the DVD/CD-ROM/CD-RW is recognized there first. These drives fail
> rather regularly, so it is not unusual for them to seem to work fine
> and all of sudden they are dead, hang the computer or disappear at times.
> They have sensitive laser instruments that can easily fail because every
> time you run one it generates heat especially when you burn CD's.
>

> --
> Best Regards, Keith http://kilowatt-radio.org/ NW Oregon Radio Page
> Tried of Virus, Spyware, Adware and Popups? Switch To Mozilla Web
> Browser and Email http://mozilla.org/ Recommended by the US
> Government Computer Security Team http://www.cert.gov/

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 2:51:33 PM

Deena wrote:
> Hello! I need new ideas on getting my E & F drives to be accessible and have
> "correct" functions. I've had this problem since Thanksgiving.
<snip>
Mostly it is a Windows thing since Windows will not respect what drive
letter you assign or where it is. I have one installation that Windows
Explorer pulls up and shows D: (E:) , E: (D:)  and it kind of drives me
nuts but isn't worth a re-install. The other thing that Windows chokes
on is multiple partitions, and whether or not the first one is a primary
partition or an extended partition with logical drives under that. All
my Windows partitions are NTFS and not seen by my LINUX nor do they see
it. That is safe mode for me. I don't know if that was much help to you
but just a warning to watch out for Windows 'thinking too much'.
Bill Baka
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 6:19:01 PM

Hope you are not actually paying for this so called "computer technical
assistance".
Time to find a new repair shop.

r.

"Deena" <Deena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> CD burning software and if you want to reburn the CD-RW you simply erase
>> the Table of Content and burn the new data to the CD-RW, Nero supports
>> this function.
>>
>> As far as the CD-RW/DVD/CD-ROM not be recognized I suggest that you
>> see my follow up to the guy with the DVD problem. Check your BIOS to see
>> if the DVD/CD-ROM/CD-RW is recognized there first. These drives fail
>> rather regularly, so it is not unusual for them to seem to work fine
>> and all of sudden they are dead, hang the computer or disappear at times.
>> They have sensitive laser instruments that can easily fail because every
>> time you run one it generates heat especially when you burn CD's.
>>

>> --
>> Best Regards, Keith http://kilowatt-radio.org/ NW Oregon Radio Page
>> Tried of Virus, Spyware, Adware and Popups? Switch To Mozilla Web

March 30, 2005 9:35:02 PM

How do I uninstall the drivers and reinstall? My DVD/CD writer doesn't even
show up under the E: that it always did. Now it shows up as Drive L: which
has nothing on it. What in the world went wrong?? I've tried everything I
know and contacted every computer expert with no help. Please and thank you,
Sandra in OKC

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Try reinstalling the drivers and also check the products
> web pages for any updates or perhaps articles on people
> with similar problems.

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 9:55:02 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer but had to contact you because your
situation is EXACTLY like mine! Thanx 4 wording it so perfect! Like U... I
don't know computer programs much but I DO know that E & F drives do not
function and I've had the problem as long as U. My nephew is a computer wiz
at Cox Communications and couldn't fix this either. Surely there is a way!
Hang in there, Deena... I will let U know if I find a fix and U do likewise.
Sandra in OKC catkiss68@cox.net or 405-692-9273

"Deena" wrote:

> [...]
> > CD burning software and if you want to reburn the CD-RW you simply erase
> > the Table of Content and burn the new data to the CD-RW, Nero supports
> > this function.
> >
> > As far as the CD-RW/DVD/CD-ROM not be recognized I suggest that you
> > see my follow up to the guy with the DVD problem. Check your BIOS to see
> > if the DVD/CD-ROM/CD-RW is recognized there first. These drives fail
> > rather regularly, so it is not unusual for them to seem to work fine
> > and all of sudden they are dead, hang the computer or disappear at times.
> > They have sensitive laser instruments that can easily fail because every
> > time you run one it generates heat especially when you burn CD's.
> >

> > --
> > Best Regards, Keith http://kilowatt-radio.org/ NW Oregon Radio Page
> > Tried of Virus, Spyware, Adware and Popups? Switch To Mozilla Web

March 30, 2005 9:57:02 PM

Yes I am and ... Yes I would love a new repair shop catkiss68@cox.net or
405-692-9273 Sandra in OKC

"namniar" wrote:

> [...]
> >> CD burning software and if you want to reburn the CD-RW you simply erase
> >> the Table of Content and burn the new data to the CD-RW, Nero supports
> >> this function.
> >>
> >> As far as the CD-RW/DVD/CD-ROM not be recognized I suggest that you
> >> see my follow up to the guy with the DVD problem. Check your BIOS to see
> >> if the DVD/CD-ROM/CD-RW is recognized there first. These drives fail
> >> rather regularly, so it is not unusual for them to seem to work fine
> >> and all of sudden they are dead, hang the computer or disappear at times.
> >> They have sensitive laser instruments that can easily fail because every
> >> time you run one it generates heat especially when you burn CD's.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Best Regards, Keith http://kilowatt-radio.org/ NW Oregon Radio Page
> >> Tried of Virus, Spyware, Adware and Popups? Switch To Mozilla Web

March 31, 2005 3:29:08 AM

I do feel for you. ( no weirdness implied :-p )

I have been lucky so far no problems with SP2 that I know of. Using Nero
Express OEM and InCD.

r.

"Sam Jones" <SamJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > works
>> > but a person has to call to obtain the information. I found their
>> > technical
>> > assistance phone number but I was shocked to discover they charge a
>> > person
>> > money for help with one of their purchased products! Keith's statement
>> > about
>> > the BIOS caught my attention. I've pressed F8 several times before and
>> > gone
>> > into the BIOS. I don't see anything that pertains to DVD players. I
>> > never
>> > make any changes. Does anyone know what I need to look for or change
>> > in
>> > the
>> > BIOS? I'll continue to search the Microsoft website for answers. If
>> > anyone
>> > has a suggested solution, please contact me. Thanks.

March 31, 2005 11:01:05 PM

I can't believe how simple the fix was... I was clicking on anything and
searching for answers to error message and called EVERYONE I knew who had
computer knowledge. Tonight I stumbled across an option that said "Return
computer to an earlier date" and there is a maintenance checkpoint for
almost every single day from the past that shows what changes I made on what
date. I restored it back to a date prior to installation of SP2 and now
everything is fixed. It took about 30 minutes for the recovery to an earlier
date but was WELL worth the wait. I don't know if your computer has this
option, but mine did. Hope this is helpful...

!