CD-RW & DVD not recognised

I have a CD_RW and DVD drive installed, have had few problems for some time, but recently XP has not recognised the drives as DVD and CD-RW, and only lists them through my computer as CD Drives. In System they have the correct titles and drivers. This seems to effect Nero and doesn't allow me to burn discs.
16 answers Last reply
More about recognised

    Try reinstalling the drivers and also check the products
    web pages for any updates or perhaps articles on people
    with similar problems.

    Thanks for that, have already tried these suggetsions and nothing doing, it seems more like an Xp problem, it was fine until recently with no problems.

    Listen UP Microsoft!!!!
    Same problems. CD Burners messed UP. Wont burn. Sometimes dissapear. Burners
    MESSED UP!!!
    So I reformated C:\ drive. Reinstalled a fresh WinXP pro. Put only a few
    programs on (Norton internet security 2003 and updated it and clickN' burn
    2.0 with update). Both burners wrote perfectly. Installed SP1 and both
    burners wrote perfectly. Did 20 megs of windows critical updates and the
    burners won't burn. Rebooted again. Now burners are gone.

    This is getting real tiresome reading a lot of burner and cdrom problems on
    this forum with NO FIX. It's a deffinate MS problem from critical updates.
    There WAS no reason for me to reformat my computer. This was your fault. I
    wouldn't be so mad, but I have been working on this problem for several
    days. And reading the generic responses here are getting nowhere. You can
    scroll down on this forum and see way too many cdrom problems. All the same.
    And all getting no real help.

    MS, please fix something in your critical updates.

    My system: AMD 2500+, WD 80 gig HD (4 gig used), liteon 52x32x52 burner
    master, maddog 52x24x52 burner slave, Adrive, Biostar M7NCD motherboard,
    256meg of ram, Winxp pro with SP1 and all critical updates.

    My system is only six months old. Everything was running fine until
    recently.

    ----- Kev wrote: -----

    I have a CD_RW and DVD drive installed, have had few problems for some time, but recently XP has not recognised the drives as DVD and CD-RW, and only lists them through my computer as CD Drives. In System they have the correct titles and drivers. This seems to effect Nero and doesn't allow me to burn discs.

    i have a similar problem with my computer .it will burner a cd but will not burner data to my quicken cd or picture cd.I get the error message error copying file or folder.cannot copy files on this cd-rom drive are read-only.you cannot copy or move files over to this cd-rom drive. why is this happening?

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:31:01 -0700, Jerry_d_w wrote:

    > i have a similar problem with my computer .it will burner a cd but will
    > not burner data to my quicken cd or picture cd.I get the error message
    > error copying file or folder.cannot copy files on this cd-rom drive are
    > read-only.you cannot copy or move files over to this cd-rom drive. why
    > is this happening?

    You can't write to CD-RW with what? The MS Explorer Software or
    your own CD-RW software? Do you use the CD-RW Packet Writing InCD
    type software or is this Nero or Roxio CD-ROM Burning Software?
    If you are using the CD-RW with the InCD packet writing software
    I suggest you simply burn the data you want to a CD-RW using regular
    CD burning software and if you want to reburn the CD-RW you simply erase
    the Table of Content and burn the new data to the CD-RW, Nero supports
    this function.

    As far as the CD-RW/DVD/CD-ROM not be recognized I suggest that you
    see my follow up to the guy with the DVD problem. Check your BIOS to see
    if the DVD/CD-ROM/CD-RW is recognized there first. These drives fail
    rather regularly, so it is not unusual for them to seem to work fine
    and all of sudden they are dead, hang the computer or disappear at times.
    They have sensitive laser instruments that can easily fail because every
    time you run one it generates heat especially when you burn CD's.

    --
    Best Regards, Keith http://kilowatt-radio.org/ NW Oregon Radio Page
    Tried of Virus, Spyware, Adware and Popups? Switch To Mozilla Web

    I have a similar problem, my cd/ writer was working fine up until I installed
    service pack 2. All I want to do is copy some photos on to disc from my hard
    drive and it won’t work. I can still use it for playing games etc . I have
    noticed that when it fails to copy and I close it for some reason Nero pops
    open, but I can’t do it either. Any help would be great.

    "Kev" wrote:

    > I have a CD_RW and DVD drive installed, have had few problems for some time, but recently XP has not recognised the drives as DVD and CD-RW, and only lists them through my computer as CD Drives. In System they have the correct titles and drivers. This seems to effect Nero and doesn't allow me to burn discs.

    I have almost the same problem. I have a combo drive. For some reason it
    doesn't recognise blank media and recognises rw's only if data is stored on
    them but doesn't let me write to them or erase!
    Am getting pretty p****d of with it all!

    "Kev" wrote:

    > I have a CD_RW and DVD drive installed, have had few problems for some time, but recently XP has not recognised the drives as DVD and CD-RW, and only lists them through my computer as CD Drives. In System they have the correct titles and drivers. This seems to effect Nero and doesn't allow me to burn discs.

    Hello! I need new ideas on getting my E & F drives to be accessible and have
    "correct" functions. I've had this problem since Thanksgiving. I have
    little computer knowledge, so I drop my computer off every week for a few
    days with computer technicians who are mystified each time I pick it up. To
    correct the drive error messages they installed new drives, gave them new
    letters, re-formatted, re-installed Windows XP Home Edition SP2, put in a new
    processor, new Motherboard, etc. I've spent alot of time surfing the
    Internet for a corrective procedure. I have a new Lite-on DVD SOHD-167T on
    Drive E and a new Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108 for recording on Drive F. I went to
    their websites and downloaded their firmware. I searched on their websites
    for any known conflicts. I was able to use the floppy drive A up until a
    week ago. I check for viruses with various programs including Norton and
    have no viruses. I've checked the Firewall and there are many exception
    programs listed but I don't which one would apply to the DVD drive or Floppy
    drive. I've tried several solutions on the Microsoft website. I even
    nervously used Regedit and changed the values of the DVD drives from 3 to 1
    and 2 as Microsoft stated. At least the drives seem to now be listed
    correctly in "My Computer". Drive E has DVD Drive and Drive F states DVD-RW.
    I tried another Microsoft suggested solution in Regedit deleting Upper and
    Lower Filters. When I put an installation CD in one of the drives, it acts
    like it recognizes the CD by changing from DVD to CD but the CD will only
    revolve about a minute and never show up on the screen. I deleted all the
    drivers as Microsoft suggested and the new hardware was detected. The
    recording tab appears and it's enabled as well as "autoplay". I tried to
    "repair" Windows XP Home Edition but I can't get the CD information to appear
    since the drive doesn't work. I also tried to re-boot with the Windows XP CD
    but it never appeared. Microsoft did mention some kind of "fix" in the works
    but a person has to call to obtain the information. I found their technical
    assistance phone number but I was shocked to discover they charge a person
    money for help with one of their purchased products! Keith's statement about
    the BIOS caught my attention. I've pressed F8 several times before and gone
    into the BIOS. I don't see anything that pertains to DVD players. I never
    make any changes. Does anyone know what I need to look for or change in the
    BIOS? I'll continue to search the Microsoft website for answers. If anyone
    has a suggested solution, please contact me. Thanks.

    Deena wrote:
    > Hello! I need new ideas on getting my E & F drives to be accessible and have
    > "correct" functions. I've had this problem since Thanksgiving.
    <snip>
    Mostly it is a Windows thing since Windows will not respect what drive
    letter you assign or where it is. I have one installation that Windows
    Explorer pulls up and shows D: (E:), E: (D:) and it kind of drives me
    nuts but isn't worth a re-install. The other thing that Windows chokes
    on is multiple partitions, and whether or not the first one is a primary
    partition or an extended partition with logical drives under that. All
    my Windows partitions are NTFS and not seen by my LINUX nor do they see
    it. That is safe mode for me. I don't know if that was much help to you
    but just a warning to watch out for Windows 'thinking too much'.
    Bill Baka

    Hope you are not actually paying for this so called "computer technical
    assistance".
    Time to find a new repair shop.

    r.

    "Deena" <Deena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> CD burning software and if you want to reburn the CD-RW you simply erase
    >> the Table of Content and burn the new data to the CD-RW, Nero supports
    >> this function.
    >>
    >> As far as the CD-RW/DVD/CD-ROM not be recognized I suggest that you
    >> see my follow up to the guy with the DVD problem. Check your BIOS to see
    >> if the DVD/CD-ROM/CD-RW is recognized there first. These drives fail
    >> rather regularly, so it is not unusual for them to seem to work fine
    >> and all of sudden they are dead, hang the computer or disappear at times.
    >> They have sensitive laser instruments that can easily fail because every
    >> time you run one it generates heat especially when you burn CD's.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Best Regards, Keith http://kilowatt-radio.org/ NW Oregon Radio Page
    >> Tried of Virus, Spyware, Adware and Popups? Switch To Mozilla Web

    How do I uninstall the drivers and reinstall? My DVD/CD writer doesn't even
    show up under the E: that it always did. Now it shows up as Drive L: which
    has nothing on it. What in the world went wrong?? I've tried everything I
    know and contacted every computer expert with no help. Please and thank you,
    Sandra in OKC

    "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

    > Try reinstalling the drivers and also check the products
    > web pages for any updates or perhaps articles on people
    > with similar problems.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Unfortunately, I don't have an answer but had to contact you because your
    situation is EXACTLY like mine! Thanx 4 wording it so perfect! Like U... I
    don't know computer programs much but I DO know that E & F drives do not
    function and I've had the problem as long as U. My nephew is a computer wiz
    at Cox Communications and couldn't fix this either. Surely there is a way!
    Hang in there, Deena... I will let U know if I find a fix and U do likewise.
    Sandra in OKC catkiss68@cox.net or 405-692-9273

    "Deena" wrote:

> [...]
    > > CD burning software and if you want to reburn the CD-RW you simply erase
    > > the Table of Content and burn the new data to the CD-RW, Nero supports
    > > this function.
    > >
    > > As far as the CD-RW/DVD/CD-ROM not be recognized I suggest that you
    > > see my follow up to the guy with the DVD problem. Check your BIOS to see
    > > if the DVD/CD-ROM/CD-RW is recognized there first. These drives fail
    > > rather regularly, so it is not unusual for them to seem to work fine
    > > and all of sudden they are dead, hang the computer or disappear at times.
    > > They have sensitive laser instruments that can easily fail because every
    > > time you run one it generates heat especially when you burn CD's.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Best Regards, Keith http://kilowatt-radio.org/ NW Oregon Radio Page
    > > Tried of Virus, Spyware, Adware and Popups? Switch To Mozilla Web

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Yes I am and ... Yes I would love a new repair shop catkiss68@cox.net or
    405-692-9273 Sandra in OKC

    "namniar" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> CD burning software and if you want to reburn the CD-RW you simply erase
    > >> the Table of Content and burn the new data to the CD-RW, Nero supports
    > >> this function.
    > >>
    > >> As far as the CD-RW/DVD/CD-ROM not be recognized I suggest that you
    > >> see my follow up to the guy with the DVD problem. Check your BIOS to see
    > >> if the DVD/CD-ROM/CD-RW is recognized there first. These drives fail
    > >> rather regularly, so it is not unusual for them to seem to work fine
    > >> and all of sudden they are dead, hang the computer or disappear at times.
    > >> They have sensitive laser instruments that can easily fail because every
    > >> time you run one it generates heat especially when you burn CD's.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Best Regards, Keith http://kilowatt-radio.org/ NW Oregon Radio Page
    > >> Tried of Virus, Spyware, Adware and Popups? Switch To Mozilla Web

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I do feel for you. ( no weirdness implied :-p )

    I have been lucky so far no problems with SP2 that I know of. Using Nero
    Express OEM and InCD.

    r.

    "Sam Jones" <SamJones@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> > works
    >> > but a person has to call to obtain the information. I found their
    >> > technical
    >> > assistance phone number but I was shocked to discover they charge a
    >> > person
    >> > money for help with one of their purchased products! Keith's statement
    >> > about
    >> > the BIOS caught my attention. I've pressed F8 several times before and
    >> > gone
    >> > into the BIOS. I don't see anything that pertains to DVD players. I
    >> > never
    >> > make any changes. Does anyone know what I need to look for or change
    >> > in
    >> > the
    >> > BIOS? I'll continue to search the Microsoft website for answers. If
    >> > anyone
    >> > has a suggested solution, please contact me. Thanks.

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I can't believe how simple the fix was... I was clicking on anything and
    searching for answers to error message and called EVERYONE I knew who had
    computer knowledge. Tonight I stumbled across an option that said "Return
    computer to an earlier date" and there is a maintenance checkpoint for
    almost every single day from the past that shows what changes I made on what
    date. I restored it back to a date prior to installation of SP2 and now
    everything is fixed. It took about 30 minutes for the recovery to an earlier
    date but was WELL worth the wait. I don't know if your computer has this
    option, but mine did. Hope this is helpful...

    "Sam Jones" wrote:

    > How do I uninstall the drivers and reinstall? My DVD/CD writer doesn't even
    > show up under the E: that it always did. Now it shows up as Drive L: which
    > has nothing on it. What in the world went wrong?? I've tried everything I
    > know and contacted every computer expert with no help. Please and thank you,
    > Sandra in OKC
    >
    > "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:
    >
    > > Try reinstalling the drivers and also check the products
    > > web pages for any updates or perhaps articles on people
    > > with similar problems.

DVD CD-Rom Windows XP