printer for 11X17 graphics needed

I have (not for long) a HP2500 loaded in the trunk of my car ready to
get dumped. Uses same printheads and cartridges as the 2000c.
I need a tabloid size printer for graphics and I don't want cartridges
that are chipped and I don't want HP products anymore. I've been
burned by Canon so all that's left is Epson. Like I said, it's for printing
graphics, not photos. What say you about the Epson 2200? I see the
inks are rated for two years from manufacture date and 6 months from
first use. Does this mean the cartridges are chipped to stop working?
Anything else to say about the Epson before I throw 6 bills to the wind?

TIA,
mark_
1 answer Last reply
More about printer 11x17 graphics needed

    The carts are chipped, but for volume, not time. The inks degrade, so they
    expire them, just like milk. Likely useful well past the date

    The 2200 uses Ultrachrome pigment inks, so they are just slightly less
    vibrant then dye inks, which is balanced by their significantly longer life.
    The other Epson that is comparable is the 1280, which uses dye inks.
    Slightly wider gamut (and brighter) but at the expensive of longevity of the
    prints (25 years vs. 100 years, roughly).

    Third parties have gotten aroujnd the chips, so third party inks are
    available for both printers.

    I own the 1270, the 1280's older sibling and love the results. The 11x17
    from it are truly stunning and the 1280 can only be better. I also own the
    7600, which is the much bigger brother to the 2200 (24" wide prints by 100
    feet). Putting the same size print side by side from the two printers, you
    can see, but barely, the difference. They are both amazing. a 24"x36" print
    from the 7600 will blow you away.

    Contrary to the 'buzz' about Epson's clogging, I've had one, count'em one,
    clog in four years of owning the 1270 and it was fixed with two cleaning
    cycles. The 7600 is pretty new, but it has yet to clog.

    I wouldn't buy anything OTHER than an Epson.

    Tom
    "mark_digital" <XXX-RIR@comcast.com> wrote in message
    > I have (not for long) a HP2500 loaded in the trunk of my car ready to
    > get dumped. Uses same printheads and cartridges as the 2000c.
    > I need a tabloid size printer for graphics and I don't want cartridges
    > that are chipped and I don't want HP products anymore. I've been
    > burned by Canon so all that's left is Epson. Like I said, it's for
    printing
    > graphics, not photos. What say you about the Epson 2200? I see the
    > inks are rated for two years from manufacture date and 6 months from
    > first use. Does this mean the cartridges are chipped to stop working?
    > Anything else to say about the Epson before I throw 6 bills to the wind?
    >
    > TIA,
    > mark_

Printers Epson Graphics Peripherals