F6 SATA drivers question

Intel 875p/ich5r chipset. One sata drive, I have extracted the
drivers. I have the first set which are all .cab files. I also have
the second set, which is has .inf files(which don't have reference to
sata). Will XP install see the .cab files.

I also downloaded the intel floppy for sata raid drivers.

Yes, confused !!!

Thanks.........Ken
-- KenW
9 answers Last reply
More about sata drivers question

    Just got a Shuttle SB75G2. The drivers were on their cd. I also got
    them from Intel to see which one was newer.

    My version of xp pro doesn't have sp1 intergrated. I think sp1 has the
    sata drivers.

    There is so many different answers about xp/sata I thought I would
    prepare for anything !!

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:05:22 -0400, KenW <kenw@no29no.net> wrote:

    >Intel 875p/ich5r chipset. One sata drive, I have extracted the
    >drivers. I have the first set which are all .cab files. I also have
    >the second set, which is has .inf files(which don't have reference to
    >sata). Will XP install see the .cab files.
    >
    >I also downloaded the intel floppy for sata raid drivers.
    >
    >Yes, confused !!!
    >
    >Thanks.........Ken
    >-- KenW

    -- KenW

    Thanks, I was going to start with straight install and see what
    happens.

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:05:22 -0400, KenW <kenw@no29no.net> wrote:

    >Intel 875p/ich5r chipset. One sata drive, I have extracted the
    >drivers. I have the first set which are all .cab files. I also have
    >the second set, which is has .inf files(which don't have reference to
    >sata). Will XP install see the .cab files.
    >
    >I also downloaded the intel floppy for sata raid drivers.
    >
    >Yes, confused !!!
    >
    >Thanks.........Ken
    >-- KenW

    -- KenW

    Hi Ken

    With the ICH5R chipset there is no need to introduce any third-party SATA
    drivers using the F6 method.

    The chipset is designed to use standard IDE drivers included on the XP
    installation CD.

    Make sure you have any BIOS settings correctly selected - usually there is a
    reference to OnChip or Onboard SATA boot enabled - and that you have
    correctly connected the SATA drive to the appropriate SATA connector.

    BTW, just out of interest, which mainboard are you using? manufacturer,
    model? and where did you download and extract the SATA drivers from?

    Hope that helps
    Pete
    -----------------------------

    "KenW" had asked
    > Intel 875p/ich5r chipset. One sata drive, I have extracted the
    > drivers. I have the first set which are all .cab files. I also have
    > the second set, which is has .inf files(which don't have reference to
    > sata). Will XP install see the .cab files.
    >
    > I also downloaded the intel floppy for sata raid drivers.
    >
    > Yes, confused !!!
    >
    > Thanks.........Ken
    > -- KenW

    "KenW" followed up with
    > Just got a Shuttle SB75G2. The drivers were on their cd. I also got
    > them from Intel to see which one was newer.
    >
    > My version of xp pro doesn't have sp1 intergrated. I think sp1 has the
    > sata drivers.
    >
    > There is so many different answers about xp/sata I thought I would
    > prepare for anything !!

    Ken

    The F6 method is used to introduce third-party drivers needed for
    controllers that do not use drivers included on the XP CD.

    In your case the ICH5R chipset uses standard IDE drivers and you do NOT need
    to introduce anything to install on to a SATA hard drive.

    (Note, neither the XP installation CD nor SP1 have any SATA drivers.)

    As for your references to 'sata drivers' on the manufacturers cd, I can only
    assume you are referring to a RAID utility(?) provided by Shuttle.. they
    certainly don't have any SATA drivers for your system to download from their
    website

    In any event, simply select the appropriate BIOS settings.. you will have to
    enable On-Chip SATA as IDE.. look through your mainboard manual for more
    details.

    And install XP as normal.

    Hope that helps
    Pete

    "KenW" wrote

    > Thanks, I was going to start with straight install and see what
    > happens.
    >
    > -- KenW

    Do that Ken and then post back with the outcome.

    I predict success.

    Pete
    ---------------

    XP doesn't need drivers for SATA drive.

    -- KenW

    "KenW" responded
    > XP doesn't need drivers for SATA drive.
    >
    > -- KenW

    Ken

    I take it that means *you* were able to install XP without introducing any
    third-party drivers.

    As I pointed out previously, that is because your mainboard uses the ICH5R
    chipset.

    However, it does *not* mean that all XP installations can be performed on
    every SATA drive in this manner.

    Pete

    Yes, everything installed ok. Not happy with the 'slack' about 6 gigs.
    I used the Seagate setup tools, but xp would not install. . Not sure
    what the cluster size is. Not really concerned because I will not fill
    the drive up.
    Really love the Shuttle SB75G2. Can't believe the size.
    The machine I am using now has 2 drives, 2 cd/dvd drives, water cooled
    and I have each on it's own ide controller. amd 2600+/512 meg ram.

    -- KenW

    "Pete Baker" <petebkrAThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message

    > "KenW" responded
    > > XP doesn't need drivers for SATA drive.
    > >
    > > -- KenW
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > I take it that means *you* were able to install XP without introducing any
    > third-party drivers.
    >
    > As I pointed out previously, that is because your mainboard uses the ICH5R
    > chipset.
    >
    > However, it does *not* mean that all XP installations can be performed on
    > every SATA drive in this manner.
    >
    > Pete

    True. I have an Abit NF7-S with a silicon image SATA RAID controller built
    onto the board.
    These require drivers installed for setp to see them. In this case it is the
    same as having a PCI SCSI/RAID controller in the machine.

SATA Drivers Intel Windows XP