F6 SATA drivers question

Intel 875p/ich5r chipset. One sata drive, I have extracted the
drivers. I have the first set which are all .cab files. I also have
the second set, which is has .inf files(which don't have reference to
sata). Will XP install see the .cab files.

I also downloaded the intel floppy for sata raid drivers.

Yes, confused !!!

Thanks.........Ken
-- KenW

Just got a Shuttle SB75G2. The drivers were on their cd. I also got
them from Intel to see which one was newer.

My version of xp pro doesn't have sp1 intergrated. I think sp1 has the
sata drivers.

There is so many different answers about xp/sata I thought I would
prepare for anything !!

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:05:22 -0400, KenW <kenw@no29no.net> wrote:

>Intel 875p/ich5r chipset. One sata drive, I have extracted the
>drivers. I have the first set which are all .cab files. I also have
>the second set, which is has .inf files(which don't have reference to
>sata). Will XP install see the .cab files.
>
>I also downloaded the intel floppy for sata raid drivers.
>
>Yes, confused !!!
>
>Thanks.........Ken
>-- KenW

-- KenW

Thanks, I was going to start with straight install and see what
happens.

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:05:22 -0400, KenW <kenw@no29no.net> wrote:

>Intel 875p/ich5r chipset. One sata drive, I have extracted the
>drivers. I have the first set which are all .cab files. I also have
>the second set, which is has .inf files(which don't have reference to
>sata). Will XP install see the .cab files.
>
>I also downloaded the intel floppy for sata raid drivers.
>
>Yes, confused !!!
>
>Thanks.........Ken
>-- KenW

-- KenW

Hi Ken

With the ICH5R chipset there is no need to introduce any third-party SATA
drivers using the F6 method.

The chipset is designed to use standard IDE drivers included on the XP
installation CD.

Make sure you have any BIOS settings correctly selected - usually there is a
reference to OnChip or Onboard SATA boot enabled - and that you have
correctly connected the SATA drive to the appropriate SATA connector.

BTW, just out of interest, which mainboard are you using? manufacturer,
model? and where did you download and extract the SATA drivers from?

Hope that helps
Pete
-----------------------------

"KenW" had asked
> Intel 875p/ich5r chipset. One sata drive, I have extracted the
> drivers. I have the first set which are all .cab files. I also have
> the second set, which is has .inf files(which don't have reference to
> sata). Will XP install see the .cab files.
>
> I also downloaded the intel floppy for sata raid drivers.
>
> Yes, confused !!!
>
> Thanks.........Ken
> -- KenW

"KenW" followed up with
> Just got a Shuttle SB75G2. The drivers were on their cd. I also got
> them from Intel to see which one was newer.
>
> My version of xp pro doesn't have sp1 intergrated. I think sp1 has the
> sata drivers.
>
> There is so many different answers about xp/sata I thought I would
> prepare for anything !!

Ken

The F6 method is used to introduce third-party drivers needed for
controllers that do not use drivers included on the XP CD.

In your case the ICH5R chipset uses standard IDE drivers and you do NOT need
to introduce anything to install on to a SATA hard drive.

(Note, neither the XP installation CD nor SP1 have any SATA drivers.)

As for your references to 'sata drivers' on the manufacturers cd, I can only
assume you are referring to a RAID utility(?) provided by Shuttle.. they
certainly don't have any SATA drivers for your system to download from their
website

In any event, simply select the appropriate BIOS settings.. you will have to
enable On-Chip SATA as IDE.. look through your mainboard manual for more
details.

And install XP as normal.

Hope that helps
Pete

"KenW" wrote

> Thanks, I was going to start with straight install and see what
> happens.
>
> -- KenW

Do that Ken and then post back with the outcome.

I predict success.

Pete
---------------

XP doesn't need drivers for SATA drive.

-- KenW

"KenW" responded
> XP doesn't need drivers for SATA drive.
>
> -- KenW

Ken

I take it that means *you* were able to install XP without introducing any
third-party drivers.

As I pointed out previously, that is because your mainboard uses the ICH5R
chipset.

However, it does *not* mean that all XP installations can be performed on
every SATA drive in this manner.

Pete

Yes, everything installed ok. Not happy with the 'slack' about 6 gigs.
I used the Seagate setup tools, but xp would not install. . Not sure
what the cluster size is. Not really concerned because I will not fill
the drive up.
Really love the Shuttle SB75G2. Can't believe the size.
The machine I am using now has 2 drives, 2 cd/dvd drives, water cooled
and I have each on it's own ide controller. amd 2600+/512 meg ram.

-- KenW

"Pete Baker" <petebkrAThotmailDOTcom> wrote in message

> "KenW" responded
> > XP doesn't need drivers for SATA drive.
> >
> > -- KenW
>
> Ken
>
> I take it that means *you* were able to install XP without introducing any
> third-party drivers.
>
> As I pointed out previously, that is because your mainboard uses the ICH5R
> chipset.
>
> However, it does *not* mean that all XP installations can be performed on
> every SATA drive in this manner.
>
> Pete

True. I have an Abit NF7-S with a silicon image SATA RAID controller built
onto the board.
These require drivers installed for setp to see them. In this case it is the
same as having a PCI SCSI/RAID controller in the machine.