Windows XP Bootup Problems

My computer which I bought in Feb 04 comes pre-installed with Windows XP and
I've been having intermittent bootup problems with it since.

(1) Now and then, the computer will automatically check the bootup drive
for consistency every time it boots up. It finds no problems, but will
carry out the same consistency check again the next time I start Windows XP.
Although I can manually overide and skip the consistency check, but it is
very frustrating. The problem will continue for a few days, then goes away,
and randomly returns again ...

(2) The icons in the system tray (notification area) load inconsistently -
sometimes they appear and sometimes they don't. These icons are:- (1)
'Nvidia Settings icon' for the NVidia GeForce4 graphics card which comes
preinstalled with the computer; (2) 'Creative Volume Control icon' for the
Creative Audigy 2 NX USB sound card; and (3) 'Philips Lightframe icon' for
the Philips CRT monitor. When they don't load properly, I have to restart
the computer, and so far after one or two reboot the icons will all load in
the system tray. But again this is very frustrating.

(3) One particular device (Iomega USB-powered Zip 100 disk drive) is
particularly frustrating. Approximately one out of five times, the computer
will fail to detect the Iomega Zip drive upon bootup. I will then have to
unplug and replug the USB connector from/to the computer, and then it will
be detected. I have no problems with the other USB devices which include
printer, scanner, game controller, etc.

Any and all advice/assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like driver conflicts. The Nvidia icon isn't really needed.
Look in Services and disable it. The other two, don't know. The zip
drive, check Iomega for updated drivers. I just removed my usb
zip100,went with usb hard drive, but I never installed their software
since it caused more troubles than it was worth and the zip100 did
everything without their software.

<jeresine@singnet.com.sg> wrote:

>My computer which I bought in Feb 04 comes pre-installed with Windows XP and
>I've been having intermittent bootup problems with it since.
>
>(1) Now and then, the computer will automatically check the bootup drive
>for consistency every time it boots up. It finds no problems, but will
>carry out the same consistency check again the next time I start Windows XP.
>Although I can manually overide and skip the consistency check, but it is
>very frustrating. The problem will continue for a few days, then goes away,
>and randomly returns again ...
>
>(2) The icons in the system tray (notification area) load inconsistently -
>sometimes they appear and sometimes they don't. These icons are:- (1)
>'Nvidia Settings icon' for the NVidia GeForce4 graphics card which comes
>preinstalled with the computer; (2) 'Creative Volume Control icon' for the
>Creative Audigy 2 NX USB sound card; and (3) 'Philips Lightframe icon' for
>the Philips CRT monitor. When they don't load properly, I have to restart
>the computer, and so far after one or two reboot the icons will all load in
>the system tray. But again this is very frustrating.
>
>(3) One particular device (Iomega USB-powered Zip 100 disk drive) is
>particularly frustrating. Approximately one out of five times, the computer
>will fail to detect the Iomega Zip drive upon bootup. I will then have to
>unplug and replug the USB connector from/to the computer, and then it will
>be detected. I have no problems with the other USB devices which include
>printer, scanner, game controller, etc.
>
>Any and all advice/assistance will be greatly appreciated.

-- KenW

Jeresine, check here for Chkdsk
http://groups.msn.com/winXPXchange/xpsolutionspage2.msnw

Rt click on Taskbar>Select Properties>Customize> In the Behavior column
you can rt click on items and
choose Always Show.
"Jeresine" <jeresine@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
> My computer which I bought in Feb 04 comes pre-installed with Windows XP
and
> I've been having intermittent bootup problems with it since.
>
> (1) Now and then, the computer will automatically check the bootup drive
> for consistency every time it boots up. It finds no problems, but will
> carry out the same consistency check again the next time I start Windows
XP.
> Although I can manually overide and skip the consistency check, but it is
> very frustrating. The problem will continue for a few days, then goes
away,
> and randomly returns again ...
>
> (2) The icons in the system tray (notification area) load
inconsistently -
> sometimes they appear and sometimes they don't. These icons are:- (1)
> 'Nvidia Settings icon' for the NVidia GeForce4 graphics card which comes
> preinstalled with the computer; (2) 'Creative Volume Control icon' for the
> Creative Audigy 2 NX USB sound card; and (3) 'Philips Lightframe icon' for
> the Philips CRT monitor. When they don't load properly, I have to restart
> the computer, and so far after one or two reboot the icons will all load
in
> the system tray. But again this is very frustrating.
>
> (3) One particular device (Iomega USB-powered Zip 100 disk drive) is
> particularly frustrating. Approximately one out of five times, the
computer
> will fail to detect the Iomega Zip drive upon bootup. I will then have to
> unplug and replug the USB connector from/to the computer, and then it will
> be detected. I have no problems with the other USB devices which include
> printer, scanner, game controller, etc.
>
> Any and all advice/assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I'll try removing the IomegaWare software for the USB Zip drive and see if
that fixes the problem. I have browsed the Iomega Support Website and
there's a question posted there on the same problem, but the solutions
suggested in the answer doesn't help.

But I really hope someone can help me to solve the problem of the computer
automatically checking for consistency of hard drive during bootup. This
looks like a software (Windows XP) problem to me, and is really irritating.
There are only 10 seconds available for me to manually overide or skip the
consistency check, and I have to sit in front of the monitor waiting for
that screen to appear every time I start the computer. And if I miss the
10-second window period, I'll have to wait for the computer to complete the
whole consistency check which can take several minutes before Windows
starts. Real unproductive.

TIA.

Regards.

"KenW" <kenw@no29no.net> wrote in message
> Sounds like driver conflicts. The Nvidia icon isn't really needed.
> Look in Services and disable it. The other two, don't know. The zip
> drive, check Iomega for updated drivers. I just removed my usb
> zip100,went with usb hard drive, but I never installed their software
> since it caused more troubles than it was worth and the zip100 did
> everything without their software.
>

> <jeresine@singnet.com.sg> wrote:
>
> >My computer which I bought in Feb 04 comes pre-installed with Windows XP
and
> >I've been having intermittent bootup problems with it since.
> >
> >(1) Now and then, the computer will automatically check the bootup drive
> >for consistency every time it boots up. It finds no problems, but will
> >carry out the same consistency check again the next time I start Windows
XP.
> >Although I can manually overide and skip the consistency check, but it is
> >very frustrating. The problem will continue for a few days, then goes
away,
> >and randomly returns again ...
> >
> >(2) The icons in the system tray (notification area) load
inconsistently -
> >sometimes they appear and sometimes they don't. These icons are:- (1)
> >'Nvidia Settings icon' for the NVidia GeForce4 graphics card which comes
> >preinstalled with the computer; (2) 'Creative Volume Control icon' for
the
> >Creative Audigy 2 NX USB sound card; and (3) 'Philips Lightframe icon'
for
> >the Philips CRT monitor. When they don't load properly, I have to
restart
> >the computer, and so far after one or two reboot the icons will all load
in
> >the system tray. But again this is very frustrating.
> >
> >(3) One particular device (Iomega USB-powered Zip 100 disk drive) is
> >particularly frustrating. Approximately one out of five times, the
computer
> >will fail to detect the Iomega Zip drive upon bootup. I will then have
> >unplug and replug the USB connector from/to the computer, and then it
will
> >be detected. I have no problems with the other USB devices which include
> >printer, scanner, game controller, etc.
> >
> >Any and all advice/assistance will be greatly appreciated.
> >

> -- KenW

lwjgxj999

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
(1) Now and then, the computer will automatically check the bootup drive
for consistency every time it boots up. It finds no problems, but will
carry out the same consistency check again the next time I start Windows XP.
Although I can manually overide and skip the consistency check, but it is
very frustrating. The problem will continue for a few days, then goes away,
and randomly returns again ...

Did you turn off your computer form the star memu? or just press the power button?
I suggest that when bootup, do not skip the checking process; power off from the starmenu.

If the question is still not solved, maybe you can reinstall the drivers of mainboard.