ax6bc pro and cpu speed problem, pls help

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen (More info?)

I have a piii 600/133 running on a ax6bc pro mobo.
a few weeks ago i installed a new hard drive
the thing is now the cpu is running at 300 mhz instead of 600.
also the bios doesn't let me change the cpu speed.
what have i done wrong? any ideas how can i correct it?

much appreciated

cb
3 answers Last reply
More about ax6bc speed problem help
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen (More info?)

    <crustybunker@home.com> wrote in message
    > I have a piii 600/133 running on a ax6bc pro mobo.
    > a few weeks ago i installed a new hard drive
    > the thing is now the cpu is running at 300 mhz instead of 600.
    > also the bios doesn't let me change the cpu speed.
    > what have i done wrong? any ideas how can i correct it?
    >
    > much appreciated
    >
    > cb

    this board is 100 FSB but dunno about 133 bit work out to do...
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen (More info?)

    Your board is probably locking the multiplier at 4.5, which is what your CPU
    is built to. The board is not capable of running a 133FSB CPU unless it
    clocks down to 100MHz, or you overclock it. The board is designed to
    overclock to 133FSB, but the problem is that this also increases the AGP Bus
    from 66MHz to 83MHz which could cause damaged or a non-POSTing system. Also,
    a BIOS upgrade will allow you to control the FSB and multiplier better. You
    can try to update the BIOS and then try upping the multiplier and FSB until
    you have stability problems. For instance, you may be able to clock the CPU
    to something like a 5.5 multiplier and a 108FSB, which would run the CPU at
    594 MHz, but the only way to know how far you can go is to try it and see. A
    hi quality CPU heatsink and fan will help you get the numbers higher. The
    last option is a Powerleap adapter for the CPU, but these are a bit pricey.
    The nice thing is that most Pentium boards will run up to a 1.4GHz CPU with
    the adapter.

    Chris

    "Wesley" <noo@email.com> wrote in message

    > <crustybunker@home.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a piii 600/133 running on a ax6bc pro mobo.
    > > a few weeks ago i installed a new hard drive
    > > the thing is now the cpu is running at 300 mhz instead of 600.
    > > also the bios doesn't let me change the cpu speed.
    > > what have i done wrong? any ideas how can i correct it?
    > >
    > > much appreciated
    > >
    > > cb
    >
    > this board is 100 FSB but dunno about 133 bit work out to do...

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 23:23:12 GMT, <crustybunker@home.com> wrote:

    >I have a piii 600/133 running on a ax6bc pro mobo.
    >a few weeks ago i installed a new hard drive
    >the thing is now the cpu is running at 300 mhz instead of 600.
    >also the bios doesn't let me change the cpu speed.
    >what have i done wrong? any ideas how can i correct it?

    ?

    4.5 x 133 = 600 and 4.5 x 100 = 450 MHz, it should run 450 and not
    300.

    Download cpu-z and see how it runs.

    To increase fsb to 133 should be an easy task. Done in bios.

    I had the ax6bc and liked it much. But I don't remember the bios in
    details.

    Set fsb to 133 and beware if pci divider should be set to 1/4 or is
    auto. The agp divider cannot be set lower than 2/3. This means that at
    fsb133 the agp is overclocked by 33%, but many graphics cards can
    handle that easy, and since you have run so before, you might be lucky
    to have a good one.

    I have used the ax6bc with a celeron tualatin at 13-1400 MHz. The
    celeron tualatin has the same 2nd level cache, 256 kbyte, as the
    coppermine P3 you have now.

    A cheap adapter is the slot-T adapter, that is compatible with ax6bc.
    www.upgradeware.com and see dealer information. It can be bought
    internationally from per example Germany or Holland.

    The powerleap adapter is much more expensive since it has its own
    voltage regulator. It recieves 5 volt as a harddisk and makes the
    correct voltage (1.5 volt for tualatin). But the voltage regulator of
    ax6bc can handle 1.5 volt itself. The powerleap adapter is for older
    boards not able to do that.

    best regards

    John

BIOS CPUs Hard Drives Motherboards