AMD Athlon XP 2000+ and Windows XP

I'm running Windows XP on an AMD Athlon XP 2000+. But
whenever Windows boots it doesn't do anything. In order to
run Windows I have to disable the L1 cache using my BIOS.
Windows runs without the cache but it barely functions at
an operational speed. What could be causing the problem?

Evan

Hi, Evan.

WinXP Pro runs just fine on my Athlon XP 2000+, and has for a couple of
years now. My mobo is an EPoX 8K3A+. I don't recall how the L1 cache is
set because I haven't fiddled with that in at least a year.

What is the make and model of your computer or your mobo?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Evan Patton" <evan_patton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Windows XP on an AMD Athlon XP 2000+. But
> whenever Windows boots it doesn't do anything. In order to
> run Windows I have to disable the L1 cache using my BIOS.
> Windows runs without the cache but it barely functions at
> an operational speed. What could be causing the problem?
>
> Evan

Sounds like your L1 cache went bad. It happens! Time for a new processor.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Evan Patton" <evan_patton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Windows XP on an AMD Athlon XP 2000+. But
> whenever Windows boots it doesn't do anything. In order to
> run Windows I have to disable the L1 cache using my BIOS.
> Windows runs without the cache but it barely functions at
> an operational speed. What could be causing the problem?
>
> Evan

I had this same problem. Brand new motherboard: ASUS A7V600-X and an AMD
Athlon XP 2000+. It would get a BSOD when trying to boot. Until I
disable L1 Cache in the bios. Then it would take like several hours to
boot up. I mean I don't think a computer could run any slower!! So I
took the last guy's advice and purchased a brand new processor. (Same
on AMD Athlon XP 2000+) Still the same problem!! I hope the store will
take it back and kindly return my $64.00!! It must be a problem with
the RAM(?)

--
myusername
myusername's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=458

If it works with the L1 cache disabled, it is probably code in the BIOS
causing the problem. Try updating the BIOS.

----
Nathan McNulty

myusername wrote:
> I had this same problem. Brand new motherboard: ASUS A7V600-X and an AMD
> Athlon XP 2000+. It would get a BSOD when trying to boot. Until I
> disable L1 Cache in the bios. Then it would take like several hours to
> boot up. I mean I don't think a computer could run any slower!! So I
> took the last guy's advice and purchased a brand new processor. (Same
> on AMD Athlon XP 2000+) Still the same problem!! I hope the store will
> take it back and kindly return my $64.00!! It must be a problem with
> the RAM(?)

Did you upgrade your bios?

Make sure you have the latest bios for your motherboard, as that is where
the appropriate microcode for your CPU will come from.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -