attaching USB 2.0 device crashes the computer

peter

Hi, whenever I try to attach a USB 2.0 device to my
computer, it freezes. If I disable the Enhanced USB
controller, however, the USB 2 devices work fine (but at
USB 1.1 speeds). This happened shortly after updating
the USB enhanced drivers to .1243 (Windows Update
822603). When I roll back the drivers though, the
problem persists. Just wondering if the registry got
corrupted in the process. Short of reinstalling Windows,
is there any way to get USB 2.0 to work again?

Open the BIOS and see if you can change the USB setting from
"Legacy" to "Native" mode.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Peter" <chienp01@yahoo.com> wrote in message:

| Hi, whenever I try to attach a USB 2.0 device to my
| computer, it freezes. If I disable the Enhanced USB
| controller, however, the USB 2 devices work fine (but at
| USB 1.1 speeds). This happened shortly after updating
| the USB enhanced drivers to .1243 (Windows Update
| 822603). When I roll back the drivers though, the
| problem persists. Just wondering if the registry got
| corrupted in the process. Short of reinstalling Windows,
| is there any way to get USB 2.0 to work again?

Hi, my computer (a Shuttle XPC SS51 with an Award BIOS)
has a "USB keyboard support" option that I just enabled
(previously set to disabled). I think this option is
equivalent to the Legacy/native option. But whether USB
keyboard support is enabled or disabled the problem still
persists. I also tried switching to PCI or MuTIOL
interface for the USB ports but it still crashes (when I
try to enable enhanced USB with a USB 2.0 device already
plugged in or if I try to plug in a USB 2.0 device with
enhanced USB already enabled). Anything else I can do?

--Peter

------------

>"Peter" <chienp01@yahoo.com> wrote in message:
>
>| Hi, whenever I try to attach a USB 2.0 device to my
>| computer, it freezes. If I disable the Enhanced USB
>| controller, however, the USB 2 devices work fine (but
at
>| USB 1.1 speeds). This happened shortly after updating
>| the USB enhanced drivers to .1243 (Windows Update
>| 822603). When I roll back the drivers though, the
>| problem persists. Just wondering if the registry got
>| corrupted in the process. Short of reinstalling
Windows,
>| is there any way to get USB 2.0 to work again?
>.

peter

Hi, my computer (a Shuttle XPC SS51 with an Award
BIOS) has a "USB keyboard support" option that I just
enabled (previously set to disabled). I think this
option is equivalent to the Legacy mode. But with
either setting the problem still persists. I also
tried switching to PCI or MuTIOL interface for the USB
ports but it still crashes. Anything else I can do?

--Peter