attaching USB 2.0 device crashes the computer

Hi, whenever I try to attach a USB 2.0 device to my
computer, it freezes. If I disable the Enhanced USB
controller, however, the USB 2 devices work fine (but at
USB 1.1 speeds). This happened shortly after updating
the USB enhanced drivers to .1243 (Windows Update
822603). When I roll back the drivers though, the
problem persists. Just wondering if the registry got
corrupted in the process. Short of reinstalling Windows,
is there any way to get USB 2.0 to work again?
3 answers Last reply
More about attaching device crashes computer

    Open the BIOS and see if you can change the USB setting from
    "Legacy" to "Native" mode.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Peter" <chienp01@yahoo.com> wrote in message:

    | Hi, whenever I try to attach a USB 2.0 device to my
    | computer, it freezes. If I disable the Enhanced USB
    | controller, however, the USB 2 devices work fine (but at
    | USB 1.1 speeds). This happened shortly after updating
    | the USB enhanced drivers to .1243 (Windows Update
    | 822603). When I roll back the drivers though, the
    | problem persists. Just wondering if the registry got
    | corrupted in the process. Short of reinstalling Windows,
    | is there any way to get USB 2.0 to work again?

    Hi, my computer (a Shuttle XPC SS51 with an Award BIOS)
    has a "USB keyboard support" option that I just enabled
    (previously set to disabled). I think this option is
    equivalent to the Legacy/native option. But whether USB
    keyboard support is enabled or disabled the problem still
    persists. I also tried switching to PCI or MuTIOL
    interface for the USB ports but it still crashes (when I
    try to enable enhanced USB with a USB 2.0 device already
    plugged in or if I try to plug in a USB 2.0 device with
    enhanced USB already enabled). Anything else I can do?

    --Peter

    option is equivalent to the Legacy mode. But with
    either setting the problem still persists. I also
    tried switching to PCI or MuTIOL interface for the USB
    ports but it still crashes. Anything else I can do?

    --Peter

Computers USB Devices Windows XP