formatting HD in XP pro

I am trying to format my C: drive and reinstall XP Pro. I
open "My Computer", right click on the C: and select
format. It appears to start and the issues and error that
reads:

Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disc utilities
or other programs that are using this drive, and make
sure that no other window is displaying the contents of
this drive. Then try formatting again.

Is there a better way to format this drive?
4 answers Last reply
More about formatting

    You can't format the drive that Windows is installed on while Windows is
    running. (That is what the message is trying to tell you.)

    1.) Go into your BIOS and set CD drive as the first boot device.
    2.) Put your XP disk into your CD
    3.) Reboot your computer
    4.) When the message "Boot from CD" comes up, hit "enter"
    5.) Partition and format to your heart's content

    steve

    "snikrep" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to format my C: drive and reinstall XP Pro. I
    > open "My Computer", right click on the C: and select
    > format. It appears to start and the issues and error that
    > reads:
    >
    > Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disc utilities
    > or other programs that are using this drive, and make
    > sure that no other window is displaying the contents of
    > this drive. Then try formatting again.
    >
    > Is there a better way to format this drive?

    Greetings --

    You're trying to format the drive containing the system volume
    from within WinXP. You can't. This would be the computer equivalent
    of sawing off the tree limb you're sitting on, and WinXP is "too
    smart" to allow this.

    Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "snikrep" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to format my C: drive and reinstall XP Pro. I
    > open "My Computer", right click on the C: and select
    > format. It appears to start and the issues and error that
    > reads:
    >
    > Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disc utilities
    > or other programs that are using this drive, and make
    > sure that no other window is displaying the contents of
    > this drive. Then try formatting again.
    >
    > Is there a better way to format this drive?

    Why do you want to format the C drive? If you want to do a fresh install
    XP will let you do that when you reinstall it....

    snikrep wrote:

    > I am trying to format my C: drive and reinstall XP Pro. I
    > open "My Computer", right click on the C: and select
    > format. It appears to start and the issues and error that
    > reads:
    >
    > Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disc utilities
    > or other programs that are using this drive, and make
    > sure that no other window is displaying the contents of
    > this drive. Then try formatting again.
    >
    > Is there a better way to format this drive?

    The O/S prevents you from committing "system suicide"!

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "snikrep" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to format my C: drive and reinstall XP Pro. I
    > open "My Computer", right click on the C: and select
    > format. It appears to start and the issues and error that
    > reads:
    >
    > Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disc utilities
    > or other programs that are using this drive, and make
    > sure that no other window is displaying the contents of
    > this drive. Then try formatting again.
    >
    > Is there a better way to format this drive?

Format Windows XP