Moving software from x86 XP to x64 7

PIZZA Man

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Will I be able to move all my software and games and such from Windows XP x86 to Windows 7 x64 using software like Windows Easy Transfer or PCmover alright? Or will going from 86 to 64 cause some issues? Any suggestions?

Solution

True, but you pay for the privilege. Anyhow, your 32bit apps will work fine in Windows 7-64. I still think installing everything from scratch is best, painful though it is. It's also a great opportunity for some housecleaning.

PIZZA Man

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I guess I wasn't paying very close attention when I looked at Windows Easy Transfer. Apparently it doesn't support moving your programs, only files. I want to be able to keep all my programs and games without having to reinstall every single one again, hunting down discs or downloads. One of the reasons I'm concerned about going from 86 to 64 is I know that in 64 there's a separate folder for x86 programs. I think it's called like 'Program Files (x85)' or something like that. Do the x86 programs have to be in that specific folder? Is there some kind of prerequisite required for any one program to run in 64 bit?

You have no choice but to re-install your applications, even if you were moving them to 32bit Windows 7. Applications cannot simply be copied from one Windows installation to another due to the way the installation procedure and system registry interact with each other.

PIZZA Man

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Well i have seen software that has the capabillity of moving over programs and all relevant registry information onto another computer or OS such as PCmover: http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/ So it certainly seems possible to move the programs, I'm simply asking if moving them from 86 to 64 is going to cause me problems.

True, but you pay for the privilege. Anyhow, your 32bit apps will work fine in Windows 7-64. I still think installing everything from scratch is best, painful though it is. It's also a great opportunity for some housecleaning.

Solution

PIZZA Man

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Thank you all for the replies :) I believe my question has been sufficiently answered. My comp is quite the mess right now and is part of the reason I'm starting anew. If I were to move programs and such it would be selectively however, so the concern of keeping the trash with the goods isn't really there. I haven't come to a solid decision yet, however I think I will take Herr_Koos advice and just start from scratch. I think it'll just feel... cleaner that way. Plus I might realize that some of the stuff I originally wanted to keep is stuff I in actuality do not need. ;)

Wise decision! That was my experience as well. I got rid of stuff I thought I would always need, and nothing beats that new, clean desktop feel... ;-)