Hyperthreading Support Issues in XP Pro

Im pretty sure that the version of XP Pro I have is
getting outdated and I need to pick up a new one, but I
would still like to know if anyone has some suggestions
as to what might be causing my problem:

- When I install a fresh version of XP Pro there is a
50/50 shot that it reads the system as a Multi-Processor,
Hyperthreading enabled system. However, this never seems
to last anyways, it always reverts back to a Uniprocessor
PC after I install drivers and software. I have verified
this with multiple benchmarking and diagnostic software
like: SiSoft Sandra 2004, SETI, CPU-Z.... They all say
that I have a Hyperthreading PC but my OS has disabled or
is too outdated to support a multi-processor system.

I would appreciate any feedback on this issue, thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about hyperthreading support issues

    "Shawn Butterfield" <Rip7iD3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Im pretty sure that the version of XP Pro I have is
    > getting outdated and I need to pick up a new one, but I
    > would still like to know if anyone has some suggestions
    > as to what might be causing my problem:
    >
    > - When I install a fresh version of XP Pro there is a
    > 50/50 shot that it reads the system as a Multi-Processor,
    > Hyperthreading enabled system. However, this never seems
    > to last anyways, it always reverts back to a Uniprocessor
    > PC after I install drivers and software. I have verified
    > this with multiple benchmarking and diagnostic software
    > like: SiSoft Sandra 2004, SETI, CPU-Z.... They all say
    > that I have a Hyperthreading PC but my OS has disabled or
    > is too outdated to support a multi-processor system.
    >
    > I would appreciate any feedback on this issue, thanks!

    Why don't you use MS's updater and bring the OS up to rev?

    JoBo

    Probably a BIOS problem. Have you checked for BIOS updates for your machine?
    Also, even if you choose a fresh install - before you begin, delete *everything*
    in the existing Windows folder (or even reformat the disk).

    --PA

    "Shawn Butterfield" <Rip7iD3@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0b6501c425b7$a1c5e380$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    > Im pretty sure that the version of XP Pro I have is
    > getting outdated and I need to pick up a new one, but I
    > would still like to know if anyone has some suggestions
    > as to what might be causing my problem:
    >
    > - When I install a fresh version of XP Pro there is a
    > 50/50 shot that it reads the system as a Multi-Processor,
    > Hyperthreading enabled system. However, this never seems
    > to last anyways, it always reverts back to a Uniprocessor
    > PC after I install drivers and software. I have verified
    > this with multiple benchmarking and diagnostic software
    > like: SiSoft Sandra 2004, SETI, CPU-Z.... They all say
    > that I have a Hyperthreading PC but my OS has disabled or
    > is too outdated to support a multi-processor system.
    >
    > I would appreciate any feedback on this issue, thanks!

    There is no newer release of XP than what was released when it first came out, just a service pack and some patches. Spending money
    on a "newer version" won't get you a newer version, the current release includes SP1 in the install, but it's no different than
    installing your version and manually updating to SP1.

    "Shawn Butterfield" <Rip7iD3@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0b6501c425b7$a1c5e380$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    > Im pretty sure that the version of XP Pro I have is
    > getting outdated and I need to pick up a new one, but I
    > would still like to know if anyone has some suggestions
    > as to what might be causing my problem:

Windows XP