Hyperthreading Support Issues in XP Pro

April 18, 2004 11:40:09 PM

Im pretty sure that the version of XP Pro I have is
getting outdated and I need to pick up a new one, but I
would still like to know if anyone has some suggestions
as to what might be causing my problem:

- When I install a fresh version of XP Pro there is a
50/50 shot that it reads the system as a Multi-Processor,
Hyperthreading enabled system. However, this never seems
to last anyways, it always reverts back to a Uniprocessor
PC after I install drivers and software. I have verified
this with multiple benchmarking and diagnostic software
like: SiSoft Sandra 2004, SETI, CPU-Z.... They all say
that I have a Hyperthreading PC but my OS has disabled or
is too outdated to support a multi-processor system.

I would appreciate any feedback on this issue, thanks!
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 2:46:35 PM

"Shawn Butterfield" <Rip7iD3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Im pretty sure that the version of XP Pro I have is
> getting outdated and I need to pick up a new one, but I
> would still like to know if anyone has some suggestions
> as to what might be causing my problem:
>
> - When I install a fresh version of XP Pro there is a
> 50/50 shot that it reads the system as a Multi-Processor,
> Hyperthreading enabled system. However, this never seems
> to last anyways, it always reverts back to a Uniprocessor
> PC after I install drivers and software. I have verified
> this with multiple benchmarking and diagnostic software
> like: SiSoft Sandra 2004, SETI, CPU-Z.... They all say
> that I have a Hyperthreading PC but my OS has disabled or
> is too outdated to support a multi-processor system.
>
> I would appreciate any feedback on this issue, thanks!

Why don't you use MS's updater and bring the OS up to rev?

JoBo
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 6:48:12 PM

Probably a BIOS problem. Have you checked for BIOS updates for your machine?
Also, even if you choose a fresh install - before you begin, delete *everything*
in the existing Windows folder (or even reformat the disk).

--PA

"Shawn Butterfield" <Rip7iD3@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0b6501c425b7$a1c5e380$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Im pretty sure that the version of XP Pro I have is
> getting outdated and I need to pick up a new one, but I
> would still like to know if anyone has some suggestions
> as to what might be causing my problem:
>
> - When I install a fresh version of XP Pro there is a
> 50/50 shot that it reads the system as a Multi-Processor,
> Hyperthreading enabled system. However, this never seems
> to last anyways, it always reverts back to a Uniprocessor
> PC after I install drivers and software. I have verified
> this with multiple benchmarking and diagnostic software
> like: SiSoft Sandra 2004, SETI, CPU-Z.... They all say
> that I have a Hyperthreading PC but my OS has disabled or
> is too outdated to support a multi-processor system.
>
> I would appreciate any feedback on this issue, thanks!
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 12:16:52 AM

There is no newer release of XP than what was released when it first came out, just a service pack and some patches. Spending money
on a "newer version" won't get you a newer version, the current release includes SP1 in the install, but it's no different than
installing your version and manually updating to SP1.

!