AK77-600GN and GF5700LE 256MB compatibility problem?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen (More info?)

Hi,

Running XFX GF5700LE AGP8x 256MB at 8x causes:
- in DirectX9.0 DXdiag missing DirectDraw B&W rectangles
and bouncing block in small window and full screen (only 1st time).
- flashing polygons / triangles in 3D games when moving.

Installed latest bios and drivers but at no avail. Slightly better with
GF5700 AGP8x 128MB but still similar 3D issues.

System:
os: WinXP Home, fully updated
m/b: AK77-600GN
bios: R1.04, Jan 20 2004 (latest)
cpu: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ boxed
ram: 512MB / 400MHz
vga: XFX GF5700LE AGP8x 256MB
hd: WD2000 8MB 7200rpm IDE
psu: HEC 350W

Is this a compatibility issue: AK77-600GN/VIA chipset versus GF5700
or a current problem ???
Any suggestions ???

John7
2 answers Last reply
More about ak77 600gn gf5700le 256mb compatibility problem
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen (More info?)

    "John7" <NoSp@mm.com> wrote in message news:<cc6tuk$10b$1@news5.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Running XFX GF5700LE AGP8x 256MB at 8x causes:
    > - in DirectX9.0 DXdiag missing DirectDraw B&W rectangles
    > and bouncing block in small window and full screen (only 1st time).
    > - flashing polygons / triangles in 3D games when moving.
    >
    > Installed latest bios and drivers but at no avail. Slightly better with
    > GF5700 AGP8x 128MB but still similar 3D issues.
    >
    > System:
    > os: WinXP Home, fully updated
    > m/b: AK77-600GN
    > bios: R1.04, Jan 20 2004 (latest)
    > cpu: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ boxed
    > ram: 512MB / 400MHz
    > vga: XFX GF5700LE AGP8x 256MB
    > hd: WD2000 8MB 7200rpm IDE
    > psu: HEC 350W
    >
    > Is this a compatibility issue: AK77-600GN/VIA chipset versus GF5700
    > or a current problem ???
    > Any suggestions ???
    >
    > John7

    As your probably aware did you install DirectX 9.0b, that is the
    newest version of DirectX. You did not mention if you did a clean
    install of Windows when you changed motherboards. If you did not do a
    clean install you might want to backup your system and install from
    scratch. Some people have problems switching graphic cards under the
    same install.

    For instance if a person has an ATI card, then switches to Nvidia it
    could cause some problems. Did you reduce the speed of the card from
    8X to 4X sometimes this fixes the problem. Some games like the 4X
    settings, even though it is an 8X card. Are your Via 4 in 1 drivers
    up to date, also if your card uses a molex extra power connector are
    you using it.

    Does this behavior happen in an OpenGL game, as this would narrow it
    down to DirectX, or give you an idea if it really is a graphics card
    problem.

    Rthoreau
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen (More info?)

    Gnu_Raiz wrote:

    > "John7" <NoSp@mm.com> wrote in message news:<cc6tuk$10b$1@news5.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>...
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Running XFX GF5700LE AGP8x 256MB at 8x causes:
    >>- in DirectX9.0 DXdiag missing DirectDraw B&W rectangles
    >> and bouncing block in small window and full screen (only 1st time).
    >>- flashing polygons / triangles in 3D games when moving.
    >>
    >>Installed latest bios and drivers but at no avail. Slightly better with
    >>GF5700 AGP8x 128MB but still similar 3D issues.
    >>
    >>System:
    >>os: WinXP Home, fully updated
    >>m/b: AK77-600GN
    >>bios: R1.04, Jan 20 2004 (latest)
    >>cpu: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ boxed
    >>ram: 512MB / 400MHz
    >>vga: XFX GF5700LE AGP8x 256MB
    >>hd: WD2000 8MB 7200rpm IDE
    >>psu: HEC 350W
    >>
    >>Is this a compatibility issue: AK77-600GN/VIA chipset versus GF5700
    >>or a current problem ???
    >>Any suggestions ???
    >>
    >>John7
    >

    > As your probably aware did you install DirectX 9.0b, that is the
    > newest version of DirectX. You did not mention if you did a clean
    > install of Windows when you changed motherboards. If you did not do a
    > clean install you might want to backup your system and install from
    > scratch. Some people have problems switching graphic cards under the
    > same install.
    >
    > For instance if a person has an ATI card, then switches to Nvidia it
    > could cause some problems. Did you reduce the speed of the card from
    > 8X to 4X sometimes this fixes the problem. Some games like the 4X
    > settings, even though it is an 8X card. Are your Via 4 in 1 drivers
    > up to date, also if your card uses a molex extra power connector are
    > you using it.
    >
    > Does this behavior happen in an OpenGL game, as this would narrow it
    > down to DirectX, or give you an idea if it really is a graphics card
    > problem.
    >
    > Rthoreau
    To add to this; before installing any new piece of hardware be sure to
    delete the old drivers first. So when installing a new VIA type mobo be
    sure delete the old VIA drivers first. When installing a new vid card
    do the same, but first put the desktop display in standard VGA mode, 16
    colors, 640x480... That way windows will load a generic display driver
    upon startup at which point you can install the most recent video card
    drivers and set up your desktop to your specs.

    It might also be wise to go into windows SAFE mode and right click "My
    Computer" (on the desktop), left click Properties, left click Device
    Manager and go to work and delete all entries, (if installing a new
    mobo).. That way you satrt off with a clean slate (upon reboot) and you
    can then load the device drivers you want.

Motherboards