Windows XP Startup Problems

I am reposting the below in the hope that someone can help me overcome the
'automatic consistency check of hard disk upon startup'. The problem
persists.

TIA.

Rgds.

--------

Thanks.

I'll try removing the IomegaWare software for the USB Zip drive and see if
that fixes the problem. I have browsed the Iomega Support Website and
there's a question posted there on the same problem, but the solutions
suggested in the answer doesn't help.

But I really hope someone can help me to solve the problem of the computer
automatically checking for consistency of hard drive during bootup. This
looks like a software (Windows XP) problem to me, and is really irritating.
There are only 10 seconds available for me to manually overide or skip the
consistency check, and I have to sit in front of the monitor waiting for
that screen to appear every time I start the computer. And if I miss the
10-second window period, I'll have to wait for the computer to complete the
whole consistency check which can take several minutes before Windows
starts. Real unproductive.

TIA.

Regards.

"KenW" <kenw@no29no.net> wrote in message
> Sounds like driver conflicts. The Nvidia icon isn't really needed.
> Look in Services and disable it. The other two, don't know. The zip
> drive, check Iomega for updated drivers. I just removed my usb
> zip100,went with usb hard drive, but I never installed their software
> since it caused more troubles than it was worth and the zip100 did
> everything without their software.
>

> <jeresine@singnet.com.sg> wrote:
>
> >My computer which I bought in Feb 04 comes pre-installed with Windows XP
and
> >I've been having intermittent bootup problems with it since.
> >
> >(1) Now and then, the computer will automatically check the bootup drive
> >for consistency every time it boots up. It finds no problems, but will
> >carry out the same consistency check again the next time I start Windows
XP.
> >Although I can manually overide and skip the consistency check, but it is
> >very frustrating. The problem will continue for a few days, then goes
away,
> >and randomly returns again ...
> >
> >(2) The icons in the system tray (notification area) load
inconsistently -
> >sometimes they appear and sometimes they don't. These icons are:- (1)
> >'Nvidia Settings icon' for the NVidia GeForce4 graphics card which comes
> >preinstalled with the computer; (2) 'Creative Volume Control icon' for
the
> >Creative Audigy 2 NX USB sound card; and (3) 'Philips Lightframe icon'
for
> >the Philips CRT monitor. When they don't load properly, I have to
restart
> >the computer, and so far after one or two reboot the icons will all load
in
> >the system tray. But again this is very frustrating.
> >
> >(3) One particular device (Iomega USB-powered Zip 100 disk drive) is
> >particularly frustrating. Approximately one out of five times, the
computer
> >will fail to detect the Iomega Zip drive upon bootup. I will then have
> >unplug and replug the USB connector from/to the computer, and then it
will
> >be detected. I have no problems with the other USB devices which include
> >printer, scanner, game controller, etc.
> >
> >Any and all advice/assistance will be greatly appreciated.
> >

> -- KenW
1 answer Last reply
More about windows startup problems

    Jeresine, check here for Chkdsk. Have you tried these yet?
    http://groups.msn.com/winXPXchange/xpsolutionspage2.msnw

    Rt click on Taskbar>Select Properties>Customize> In the Behavior column
    you can rt click on items and
    choose Always Show.

Windows XP